Stash and Grab 2016

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

Re: Stash and Grab 2016

Post by Serinde »

I guess that, at 93, he's earned the right to be cantankerous! :doh: Doesn't make it easy, tho, does it! :roll:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote:I guess that, at 93, he's earned the right to be cantankerous! :doh: Doesn't make it easy, tho, does it! :roll:

But he's Always been cantankerous! All my life he's put me down with a few well chosen short sentences! No one 'earns the right to be cantankerous':tantrum: It's only now that he's starting to mellow, but can quickly revert to his old self when crossed. At the moment because I'm doing all I can to get him back into his home he's 'behaving'

Sorry Serinde...rant over!! :hug:
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

I hope your father, once he gets home, can be placated for a few weeks before he sends people away Wendy. I was lucky as my mum mellowed the last few years of her life. Late FIL was the one, always upsetting people. Thankfully after 18 months on his own he too mellowed. Let's hope you have a few weeks problem free so you can recharge your batteries :)
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

wendywombat wrote:
Serinde wrote:I guess that, at 93, he's earned the right to be cantankerous! :doh: Doesn't make it easy, tho, does it! :roll:

But he's Always been cantankerous! All my life he's put me down with a few well chosen short sentences! No one 'earns the right to be cantankerous' :tantrum: It's only now that he's starting to mellow, but can quickly revert to his old self when crossed. At the moment because I'm doing all I can to get him back into his home he's 'behaving'

Sorry Serinde...rant over!! :hug:
Oh, don't worry. Rants are good from time to time. :D My father was a "difficult" sort of chap, too; took a lot to hear anything supportive, mostly because I think he was terrified of the responsibility of 6 kids. (Is that his behaviour consequenced, I wonder...) Anyway, he was much more chilled out with the grandchildren, and more so, I'm told, when he had Alzheimers. Bit late in the day, but welcome nonetheless.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, let's just say -- from my point of view -- the day has not started well, watching Nigel Farage gloat. As we historians say, Gustavus Adolphus has just marched off his map. :? :coffee: (only because I'm saving :wine: for later).
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Have as many :wine: :wine: :wine: as you need. :ratherbe: . Much less anxiety provoking.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

What a disaster!! :tantrum: I'm speechless
:wine: :wine: :wine: only thing to do. I'd like to shake some sense into to Exit voters. As for the politicians....*¥₩#@$%÷*is all )can say
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

triple nationality, anyone? :roll:
stitchhappy18

Post by stitchhappy18 »

Having a :wine: for all of you affected by this. I am not in the know on the details since we do not have television, but there seems to be quite a stir about it online. :hug: to all. We have our political insanity at the moment here in the US so it will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
Lisa

Current WIPS:
PSS 12 Days of Christmas
FPS Trick or Treat
Mary Hickmott - Barn Owl
Fleur de Lys Tree
FPS National Parks

2016 Finishes

Filigree Heart
Damask Square
Wash & Pray
Finch
Needleworker
Spooked!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Maybe this isn't appropriate her...if so please delete this link...but I was sent this today.
If you care to look at the breakdown of how the votes were cast regarding to age then the majority of the population of WORKING age ie < 45 wanted to stay in the EU. It was the 65+ who wanted OUT.

So I signed this petition for my Grandchildren's Future!

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215" target="_blank
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

If you can't talk politics in the pub, then what are we coming to??

I would ask everyone to keep it civil, as I know you will.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I also saw on the internet that there were many of the "Leave" voters who are now regretting their votes as many thought that staying would win but that they wanted the government to know they were concerned about immigration and other policies of the EU. One man said he never thought his vote would count. I wish that would be made more public, because I know that there are people here in the states that think that way. What a sad way to find out that every vote counts. I used to teach a troubleshooting class (more for technical problem solving) and one of the most important and least asked questions when it comes to implementing a solution is "If we do this, what could go wrong". A question most often not considered by governments and politicians!

Wendy, is that petition binding on Parliament? Amazing that there are already well over a million signatures!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

rcperryls wrote: Wendy, is that petition binding on Parliament? Amazing that there are already well over a million signatures!

Carole
Well it says that once they have >100,000 votes it will be debated in Parliament....but then a lot of things get debated and ???? I think they often say that there wasn't time in that session to debate something as well!

We will see, but it can't hurt to make our feelings known so I've just been telling everyone! :wink:

There was a group of students who were interviewed last night who were very upset that their Remain votes had been outnumbered by the votes to Leave by older people who were at the ends of their working lives. :doh:
stitchhappy18

Post by stitchhappy18 »

Will they be able to rejoin the EU At some point in the future or is this a forever decision?
Lisa

Current WIPS:
PSS 12 Days of Christmas
FPS Trick or Treat
Mary Hickmott - Barn Owl
Fleur de Lys Tree
FPS National Parks

2016 Finishes

Filigree Heart
Damask Square
Wash & Pray
Finch
Needleworker
Spooked!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

stitchhappy18 wrote:Will they be able to rejoin the EU At some point in the future or is this a forever decision?
Theoretically, yes, the UK could ask to rejoin the EU. However, not on the same (relatively good) terms. The situation is like getting married thinking if it doesn't work, you can always divorce. Taylor- Burton sort of thing. So in reality, once the UK is out, we're out. It'll take a minimum of 2 years, once the ball is set rolling, and more likely at least a decade before all the negotiations for trade agreements are in place.
rcperryls wrote: One man said he never thought his vote would count. Carole :tizzy:
I suspect the the leaders of the Leave campaign didn't actually think they would win, either. Well, surprise! :doh:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote:I suspect the the leaders of the Leave campaign didn't actually think they would win, either. Well, surprise! :doh:
I read somewhere on the internet that the petition was designed by one of the leaders of the "Leave" group about a month ago, requiring a certain % having to be the winning side and that a certain % of all eligible voters voted. Assuming that is true (I am never fully trusting of sources I don't remember) it's pretty clear that they did not expect to win. Could backfire on them now.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Perhaps this might explain it? 8)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop: I forgot how much we loved Yes, Minister and Yes, Prime Minister. It was on Public TV here in the states years ago and my DH couldn't wait for Sunday nights. Haven't seen it in years. Reminds me that I need to get the dvd's of Mapp and Lucia from the library. Nigel Hawthorne is amazing.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Serinde wrote:Perhaps this might explain it? 8)

:applesauce: :applesauce: Wonderful reminder of just How to explain things so that no-one understands!
@rotfl:
coolpenguin

Post by coolpenguin »

Hi. I'm not sure where to post this, so if this is the wrong place please tell me where to post it. My mom passed away of Friday, June 24 at home after battling acute leukemia. My mom was one of my best friends and I miss her like crazy. She deteriorated very quickly and I can't believe she's gone. I have a huge support system and that's the only way I'm getting through this. My parents built a small addition so my wife and I could move into their house a year and a half ago. I was with mom everyday. I'm relieved that she's no longer in pain but she was taken was too young...she just turned 66.
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long