Hello Hello!

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

AnonyMouse

Hello Hello!

Post by AnonyMouse »

Hello Everyone! I have to say that I have been lurking for a while, and have just decided to actually post something!! I have been stitching for 6+ years, on and off. I am self taught, which I am very proud of!! I live in Southern California, USA and am sad to say that I have no friends, or family members who cross stitch. Wait, my mother in law used to stitch, but that's another post.. LOL.. Seriously. I will tell you about it in another post. Ha ha...

Thank you to everyone, for all of your advice and information, it makes me so happy knowing that you all are out there!! I may be happily married, 30 years old, have some wonderful friends.. but when it comes to stitching, I'm all alone!! It's very nice to know that I have people to lean on when I get in a bind (my current project uses lots of.... FRENCH KNOTS :shock: ). So I may need some serious "stitching intervention" :wink: .

Good evening everyone, maybe I will post my Mother in Law story tommorrow!! It's bugging me, and I know only stitchers would understand!!
Rose

Post by Rose »

Welcome on board so glad you finally decided to post with us.

We will be happy to assit you in any of your needs cross stitch or otherwise. There has been a recent post that asks help about French knots. In that post there is a link to a site that will show how to do them . I have always had very good luck with my french knots but others hate them. There are a couple of alternatives....beads or another knot called a colonial knot. What ever one works for you I wish you the best.

Join in it will be loads of fun.

Oh and what part of California are you in I live in Gilroy and my oldest brother is in Pamona????
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Welcome from Canada, glad you decide to take the plunge and join in the fun. I like French knots but since I figured out that beads are easier I am using them when ever I can. Good luck with your project, what is the theme?I am starting my Christmas stuff this week, need all the time Ican get :lol: .And I am still finishing up my Lighthouse that should not have taken this long but some days my hands just don't cooperate. Oh well hope you enjoy your visits.
Linda
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Hi AnonyMouse and welcome to the forum. There is a good animated diagram of stitching French Knots here:

http://www.victoriasampler.com/VS_Club/Animations/

Hope this helps somewhat. I don't have any friends who stitch either, but I've made lots of friends on the forum and I'm sure you'll enjoy the same support.

Look forward to hearing about your Mother in Law story.

From a wet and soggy England. :shock:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Glad you plucked up the courage to join the fray, AnonyMouse. Presumably you realised we may be crazy, but never dull, and we try to be fun and generally helpful.

I'm self-taught, too; my one grandmother who sewed wasn't, uh, in a position to show me how... having joined the great cocktail party in the sky. :?

Well, you're not alone anymore! :idea:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome from me too. Glad you joined our Crazy Gang!! I live in SW France having retired here from the UK. I too am totally self taught and once I got the hang of them I quite like French Knots! I find beads a real pain, especially when I drop them! :shock: :shock: :x There is no one here who stitches either but I have a friend who does patchwork so we sometimes find a patch of shade and sew. It makes a good excuse to go and trawl around the shops together in Toulouse too. :lol: :lol:
Look forward to seeing you here again soon.
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Glad you have decided to stop being a lurker and I am sure you will find plenty of stitching pals here.

On the subject of french knots, there is a site which shows a video of how to do french knots and I use it all the time when I am doing them. Have a feeling this has been brought up before in a posting. The website is Annies Attic, can remember the full address as it is in my favourites on my computer in Bahrain and just now I am in the UK. Maybe if you google Annies Attic you will get the site.
whiskers12

Post by whiskers12 »

Welcome to the forum! Glad you've decided to post and I'm sure we'll all be glad to offer some assistance if you get in a bind.
AnonyMouse

Post by AnonyMouse »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!! Miss Rose: I live in Thousand Oaks (Ventura County). I have been to Pomona on many occasions with my husband to go to the drag strip!! We have many fond memories in Pomona!! Oh Rose!! I just remembered that I read something about your son being in the service? Was/is he stationed in Alaska (I think I saw a post where you mentioned you were going to visit Alaska)? My brother is coming home this weekend and was stationed in Fort Wainwright!!! Wouldn't that be strange if they knew each other??

My current project is a pattern called "His Cross" by Janlynn, here's a link:
http://www.janlynn.com/detail.cfm?ID=6603

I'm not a religious person, but my in-laws are, and I think it's very pretty! I think they'll really like it. Little did I know there are a million french knots and 2 million half cross stitches!! LOL.. I learned a VERY valuable lesson last night as I yanked out 45 minutes worth of stitching.. When stitiching in the evening, after work: Make sure to quadruple check your work to ensure you are stitching in the right area.. :oops:

Okay, well I suppose I better get some work done!! Thank you again everyone!!! :D
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Hi AnonyMouse and a big welcome from the east of England, albeit originally from Missouri.

I'm self taught too, but many years ago now. I don't mind French knots, but I totally know what you mean about stitching after work. Anything after 10 pm becomes the un-picking zone! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
Rose

Post by Rose »

AnonyMouse, my son is in the Army but has been in Iraq since Oct 10 and won't be home until January. His base is Ft Carson, CO. so no he was not in Alaska. My sister is the one up there and we did go for a visit last year. It was great. She is in Anchorage.

My niece and nephew are currently stationed in Alaska. He is with the Styrker Brigade up there. Not sure what base he is at as they live off base. He will be going back This November unless something happens and they all stay home.

Some links for you
This one for french knots but the one linda indicated is better. I can't find the link right know
http://www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch ... rench.html
This is for the colonial knot I have never done it but others swear by it. I like french knots. Don't throw any thing at me but I get on very well with them. Sorry :twisted:
http://inaminuteago.com/stitchdict/stit ... -knot.html

Hope one of these will help you.
Stitchindude

Post by Stitchindude »

Welcome to the forum! Even though I'm not in official capacity as a active stitcher ( I'm on a secret mission) I still wish you a hearty welcome!
A Day Without Crossstitching, Is Like A Day Without Sunshine!
AnonyMouse

Post by AnonyMouse »

You all have made my day! AND.. Inspired to me to have a "stitch night" at work, where I am going to recruit all who wish to learn, and show them the basics.. Maybe THAT will bring me some MORE stitch buddies!! A few girls have mentioned they want to learn how to cross stitch and/or crochet.. So I figure I can show them both!! It's so funny when people say (when they see me stitching) "I could NEVER do that.. I just don't have the patience!!" I tell them "Neither do I..For me it's like coloring for adults!!" Yes, I still color or do the odd paint-by-number sometimes.. LOL..

Please bear with me, as I never realized how much I have to say about stitching until I found such a wonderful bunch of people to share it with!!

Rose: My brother was Stryker Brigade too (he was honorably discharged 07/21/07, his 4 years were up)!! This will be very strange if your nephew and my brother know each other!! He did a 16 month tour in Iraq last year. You've probably seen this already, but they have nice Military Cross Stitch Designs here:
www.militaryxstitch.com
On a tender note Miss Rose, I send you and your family big hugs and love during your son's deployment. Going through my brother's deployment was agonizing. I thought it would never end. I still can't believe he's coming home (he's going to be living with my husband and I). If your son has any friends whose family doesn't send them packages, please let me know and I will send a care package!! I make MEAN beef jerky!!

Thank you again everyone, and please forgive me if I ramble!! I quit smoking almost 3 months ago, and I have picked up my old addiction again.. STITCHING!! Much less expensive, keeps my mind sharp, keeps me from having "Idle Hands"!! The downside: I wish I could do it all day instead of working!! LOL!!
Rose

Post by Rose »

That is a great web site for the military. I will ask him if he has some one who could use a carepackage. He gets stuff from about a dozen people on a very regular basis and of course they all share. It does drag on especially when they did the extention and he has to stay the extra 3 months. That was a blow to all of us.

We all ramble and we all love to read the post that is why we come here so if it is good for you it is good for us. Ramble on!!!!!!!!! :o