thinking of starting crochet

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

~threadbear~

Re: thinking of starting crochet

Post by ~threadbear~ »

You don't just want a tiny peep? Just to get you in the right frame of mind and all that???? :whistle: :dance:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

noo i shouldn't i already have crazycat tempting me with project cases on msn :twisted:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Oh yes, she's VERY bad! She should be tempting you on here where we can all join in with her!! :dance:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

she said shes not posting any more :(
crazycat

Post by crazycat »

tb i think you are mistaken o would never tempt anyone who isnt weak here have this big bar of :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc: :choc:
http://stitchycorner.blogspot.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wip
Celtic fairy
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

yay i won the book of patterns cost £5.83 or $10.24 :dance: :dance:

hopefully my twillys book will be here tomorrow as well!!
Raven

Post by Raven »

That looks like a fairly easy design, except for the shape. I would recommend something that is more square as it can be easier to do. I learned to crochet and to knit when I was a child, but forgot how to do both. I taught myself again using this book:

http://www.amazon.com/I-Cant-Believe-Im ... 569&sr=8-7" target="_blank

and I got a book that was for granny squares (many different squares using different patterns and different stitches, you stitch the squares together when they are done). This book helped me to practice new stitches.

I found that I prefer thread crochet to working with yarn and I have done some doilies like this one:

The hardest thing I found was learning what the abbreviations mean. Luckily most patterns come with directions which include a list of abbreviations and what that particular designer means for you to do with that abbreviation.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy crochet!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Your webshots are full of lovely crochet things -- I like the varegated one, and the lacy angel! Could you tell me where you found the angel pattern?

What I found confusing about crochet was not the crochet itself, but getting used to reading patterns in English -- especially before I found out that UK crochet has no such term as "single crochet" but jumps from slip stitch straicght to double crochet :? ! (Can I say that in this case -- unlike numbering floors... -- I think the Americans are more logical in their terminology?)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

I've had crochet stuff for several years that my in-laws gave me for Christmas because I wanted to learn. I still haven't found the time to sit down with my MIL to learn. They bought me a book, but I'd also like to sit down and learn from her. My MIL bought me the crochet thread to learn with because it is easier to see the "stitches" than yarn. Maybe you'll want to try the thread for practicing first?
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

the twillys book came this morning and had a quick flick through and it explains everything and has really big pictures so it seems lisa proof.

it has 3 patterns inside a dressing table set,granny motif bedspreads, and a granny motif waistcoat. by the sounds of the direction the bedspread is the sew lots of squares together blankets i originally wanted to do!!! i would like to do the star one when ive got more practise :D
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

me again :oops: for the spread it says i need
54 - 50g. balls in various colours and 27 - 50g balls in main colour for for single bed size
so does that mean i need *gets the calculator out* 54+27=81 balls of wool?? :shock: seems a lot...
Rose

Post by Rose »

Lisa I mailed the pamphlet off to you yesterday hope it gets there soon and will be a bit of help.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror