Nothing at all to do with stitching...but!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wendywombat

Nothing at all to do with stitching...but!

Post by wendywombat »

I've just put my name onto the Riding for the Disabled (RDA) volunteer list.
I used to do it many years back when I had my own pony.
Was talking to other members of the craft group and I discovered that two of the members there were volunteers.
I went along last week and am looking forward to being part of the local team.
8)
rcperryls

Re: Nothing at all to do with stitching...but!

Post by rcperryls »

That sounds like a wonderful thing to do. What does it involve?

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Basically what it says.

Helping people with physical and mental disabilities to gain confidence as well as learning to ride. Or to take up riding again after injury in a different way.
The team I hope to be working with has children with learning and behavioral problems which will be a challenge as I have never done that type of care before whilst I was nursing. I met some of them last week and watched how the rest of the volunteers worked with the children. Quite amazing how the children who seemed quite 'closed down' mentally suddenly opened out and the smiles on their faces whilst on the horse was magical.
I think it's going to be quite a challenge for me too, but I'm really looking forward to it plus working with horses again.
When I took part with my own pony many years back it was much less pro-active.
:horse: :horse:

https://www.rda.org.uk/about-us/
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

What a wonderful organization. Y'all have heard me talk about my son David (actually step son and I only clarify this because he lives with his sister who is his guardian and not with me) who is 56 with Down's Syndrome. I am very close to them (the afghan is for David who loves loves loves anything Star Wars). David is also very phobic about dogs and cats, but loves horses. I don't think he has ever ridden one, but I've seen him approach a horse and pet it with no fear. I have to put Rosey in a closed room before he will come into my house (which is where she would be anyway because she's probably more scared of him than he is of her). Anyway, I won't go on with that story, but horses seem to have a special ability with so many special needs children and adults. I hope you will share some of your experiences with us once you get started.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
mags

Post by mags »

A lovely thing to do, Wendy, well done. :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
fccs

Post by fccs »

Wendy, that is fabulous! Giving one’s time to a worthy cause is so important and I think you and the participants will be greatly rewarded.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:53 pm Wendy, that is fabulous! Giving one’s time to a worthy cause is so important and I think you and the participants will be greatly rewarded.
I absolutely agree!! Very nice!! :dance:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

That is really great, Wendy.

Some horses really seem to have an affinity for the Disabled and it's lovely to see them when they're so kind and generous to their riders. There is a family near us who own their own pony and take their 10-12 yo Downs syndrome daughter out on it several times a week. The grin on their daughter's face when she's out lights up the day. The horses can also get really attached to certain people they feel they need to care for. It's amazing and heart warming to watch. Good on you for getting involved Wendy.
Has to be said that there are some horses that are totally unsuitable for the disabled, but they wouldn't be offered.

I am sorry to admit that I have little feel for a horse. Cattle I can mostly read how they will react, but horses.. well, I haven't had enough experience to really read their body language and so have little idea of how they will react in any situation. The problem is that horses have brains and they're prepared to use them, not necessarily always doing what seems to me to be the obvious (ie what a bovine would). Just need to learn the quirks. Cattle have less mental capacity, so it's easier to learn what they'll do in any situation. However, while I might like a horse, I have to restrict myself to viscous and evil predators as pets because they're just so cute.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

richardandtracy wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:03 pm However, while I might like a horse, I have to restrict myself to viscous and evil predators as pets because they're just so cute.

Regards,

Richard
@rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends