Two handed stitching. Tell me about it.

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Corey.G

Two handed stitching. Tell me about it.

Post by Corey.G »

I’ve been wondering how people do it lately. Does your dominate hand go on the back? Is it faster? If not for a four year old I would consider getting a stand and doing it.

So tell me about if you do, trials and tribulations and all that.
Steam.Jo

Re: Two handed stitching. Tell me about it.

Post by Steam.Jo »

I always do two handed stitching: Dominate hand (right) at the back where I cannot see it but more easily can do fine control just by thinking about it.

It is much easier since I brought my Lowery Stands :oops: Before that I favoured my floor standing Elbesee frame over hand held rolling frames because I could do two handed stitching. Various other makes of wooden floor stand I picked up wound me up as they would sag during use so needed propping up ( must decide what to do with those :roll: ) When I made up my various table clamp stands for the rolling frames they held the frames without sagging so I was able to do two handed stitching. Of these I still have my Peacock mounted on one of my home made stands and I take another of the clamping home made stands along to the sewing group if using a small scroll frame - one of the other Ladies also does two handed stitching but it amazes the others that I can do it.

Height of stands is a big factor for two handed stitching. All of my Lowery stands I have added height extenders to. Yes you probably could get my favoured stitching height right at the top of their extension but they sag/wobble slightly more if you use them that way.

I still prefer the earlier corner clamping Lowery frames as they securely hold larger scroll frames :wink:

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I think two-handed stitching must be quicker. Dominant hand to the back, as Jo says. I almost never stitch in hand (although I know that Lyudmila swears by it and she stitches gorgeous pieces quickly and without any fuss) because there are some hardanger stitches as well as some embroidery stitches I do more satisfactorily if I have two hands to manipulate the thread.

Recently, I've been stitching a piece on plastic canvas, which has to be done with one hand and it seems slow. As well, my hand gets more tired -- probably because I'm not used to it.

ETA: I also sometimes use a wooden lap stand (like the one by Elbesee) to work two-handed, and that company also has a barrel clamp for tables which is great when out and about.
Roland

Post by Roland »

I do not have a stand. When doing a large picture I use a Q-Snap. Sitting in an easy-boy, with my feet up, the frame can rest against my knees. I have my dominant (right hand) at the back, left at the front. Since I have Supraspinatus this puts less repetitive motion on my shoulder, moving the arm front to back, and so I have less pain.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I use a stand for some projects, but others (like the afghan) are too large for a stand. I use a hoop (or q snaps on occassion) and generally find that two handed stitching is not only faster but is easier on my arms. I usually sit at the dining room table when I'm stitching so I can lean one edge of the hoop against the table and use my dominant hand (right) under the hoop and other hand above. It's what I do most often now.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

I'll chime in but everything I'll say is pretty much what everyone has said. My dominant hand is on the back of the frame.

I find stitching using a stand puts less pressure on my wrists, but more on my back (because my posture is not the best). I usually have to plop a pillow behind me. If I'm stitching with a hoop/Qsnap/stretcher bars/scroll frame that are too big to hold but I'm too lazy to get the floor stand out, I will prop it against my legs and the arm of the couch and stitch two handed. (Or like Carole, if I stitch at a table I can rest the frame against the table's edge.) Smaller, lighter (i.e., easier held) hoops are done one handed. If I'm using the Morgan lap-stand hoops, I'll stitch two handed. I love the Morgan hoops and if you want to give two handed stitching a go, that might be the way to start. If you don't like it, you'll still have two great hoops you can use.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends