What are we going to do about Stashmas? (didily dum)

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Serinde

What are we going to do about Stashmas? (didily dum)

Post by Serinde »

(bit of Sound of Music there) :-D

Your Mods have been discussing Stashmas. Now, normally we'd be really up for it. But. Well, not so much this year. We think that, given the rising costs of postage overseas -- often more than our limit for spending -- and the still unreliable postal deliveries, perhaps we should give it a miss this year. The last few holiday seasons have seen fewer members participating, for all sorts of good reasons. And it can't have slipped anyone's notice that there are fewer regulars who post than before, delighted as we have been with the return of much missed members.

We've considered Zoom Christmas (but time zones...). We considered Amazon gift certificates (but that transfers cost of delivery to the recipient and no one was inclined to help finance any of Jeff Bezos's rockets). We are open to other workable ideas, of course.

That doesn't mean there won't be anything at all happening -- that's not our style! Apart from the usual festivities in the Stash & Grab, what we DID think was that we could inaugurate the Great Card Exchange and instead send Christmas/holiday/New Year cards.

What do you think? Would you consider participating in the Great Card Exchange?
rcperryls

Re: What are we going to do about Stashmas? (didily dum)

Post by rcperryls »

Didily didily dum. Love the musicality! And no one knows that I can't keep a tune so pretend I sound like Julie Andrews. And I would love to join a Great Card Exchange.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I too wondered about exchanging cards rather than the usual gifts.
A word of warning from Down Under. Due to only the odd flights internationally mail down under is taking at least a month. A recent letter plus card from Geneva took 1 day short of a month in the mail systems !!!! It normally takes 5-9 days.
I have already started my Christmas card stitching after I received my friends letter and I know our Aus Post is advising posting overseas by mid November.
So count me in for a stitched card this year :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I'm up for it too! I think I could just about fit in enough time to make a wee card for someone :dance:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I don't normally, but I think this year, yes.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Nicola Main wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:25 am I'm up for it too! I think I could just about fit in enough time to make a wee card for someone :dance:
Sounds like a plan to me!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I can't commit yet as we are in the process of packing and moving into our New Home this month.... :dance: :dance:
I shall keep an eye out though and may be able to join in later.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Are you talking hand made cards? All cross stitch, or other craft as well?

~~~~

Another forum I was on had a virtual secret Santa. You didn’t know who had your name until they posted your gift. (An example of gifts, I was “given” a lot of cross stitch supplies. The person I was giving gifts to is a photographer, so I “gave” him an awesome camera, and a trip around the world to sites that would be great to take pictures.)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Roland, for years (and years!) we ran Stashmas, which isn't a million miles away from a Secret Santa. We loved doing it, and it was a great success. This year (for the reasons in the OP), the Mods have suggested that we send hand-made cards instead.

Yes any technique or craft would be just fine. In fact, the more the merrier, I'd say! :dance:
Roland

Post by Roland »

I was talking about a virtual secret Santa. Nothing was sent….just pictures posted.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Stitched cards? Hmmm…I could like that but I’m not sure if I would have enough time. With mail as slow as it is, I would think cards would have to be mailed by December 1st, correct?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Debby Auz Post isadvertising mid Nov as cut off for mail outside Aus. A recent letter from my friend in Geneva took 1 day under a month to get here so the earlier the better this year.
:D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262