Help with vervaco kits instructions

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Dibley

Help with vervaco kits instructions

Post by Dibley »

i am new to CS and Vervaco, only had 3 small DMC kits .
the instructions for the vervaco kit list the 10 threads with the pattern icon for each colour.
at the bottom of the list is 2 pictures ,1 showing a needle with 1 strand and the other picture showing a needle with 2 strands.
each of these pictures as a line pointing/linking to thread 9 and thread 10.
i read this to mean thread 9 is 1 strand and thread 10 uses 2 strands.
what confueses me is that the 1 strand thread/colour is not a outline running stitch etc,its in the main area with the normale xstitches.
never had this on DMC KITS.
the kit is of a ,,,pair of hands cupping baby feet.
i am not able to attach a picture,found it too complicated,not up on pc stuff.
rcperryls

Re: Help with vervaco kits instructions

Post by rcperryls »

Hello Dibley and welcome to the forum from South Carolina.. I stitched two Vervaco kits this year. One is Mother and Child. And one was Parents’ and baby’s hand. I’m not home and replying from my iPad or I’d link you directly to that thread. If you do a search on “Vervaco” you’ll see several threads by different stitchers who,have done some of the kits. There was plenty of thread, though I stitched mine on 28 ct. fabric with only one strand so it was hard to know, but I think it would have been enough. I’ll check the instructions for my kits, but I don’t think there were different numbers of strands for any stitches. If you have questions you can contact them and they will clarify them. I had asked about what doc numbers could be used and they do not give the numbers because of the copyright issues so many designers are facing. They replied pretty quickly. I hope you will stay with us and post pictures of your progress. I think,the ones I did as gifts for my niece when she had her first baby last year are the most beautiful stitching I’ve done. But it was my first great nephew so I might be a little biased.

Will check my info and see if I can give you any more help. Other forum members may,be able to answer your questions also. Looking forward to getting to know you and seeing the,projects you are working on.

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Hi Didley, and welcome to the forum!
I am Glad that Carole spotted this post, as I knew that she has stitched a couple of Vervaco kits before. I deleted your other post, since it was a duplicate of this!!
Looking forward to seeing you post again! :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Steam.Jo

Post by Steam.Jo »

Dibley wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:15 pm at the bottom of the list is 2 pictures ,1 showing a needle with 1 strand and the other picture showing a needle with 2 strands.
each of these pictures as a line pointing/linking to thread 9 and thread 10.
i read this to mean thread 9 is 1 strand and thread 10 uses 2 strands.
what confuses me is that the 1 strand thread/colour is not a outline running stitch etc, its in the main area with the normal xstitches.
never had this on DMC KITS.
It sounds like the kit you have is Vervaco "little feet" :D .

I have done a number of cross stitch kits that have used a mixture of single strand and double strands: it gives the picture a feeling of 'depth' as the single strand area are more transparent. Have a look at the pattern/picture and see where thread 9 goes and see if it being a little transparent would look good. It won't matter if you do it in 2 strands, you just won't get the same depth effect.

Jo
Every day we can make a difference :)

WIP: TW Peacock Tapestry, TW Woodland Fairy, HEAD Seasons, TG Rome, Sunshine
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi Dibley, and welcome to the forum from the West of Scotland! :wave:

Using a single strand in cross-stitch isn't uncommon, as Jo has said. It is often used to show transparency, too. Think of it as a learning experience in your life as an embroiderer. And believe me when I tell you we are absolutely terrible enablers here on the CSF. Do explore the site -- we even have a pub!

Regarding putting pictures into a thread, it's not as complex as it might at first seem. I first upload my photo to https://postimages.org/ and just follow their directions. (There are alternatives to postimages, but they aren't all free!) Once the picture has been uploaded, you will find you have a choice depending onto what platform you are uploading the pic to, and I always choose the one next to last (I think it's a hotlink for web forums or something like that). Then simply paste the link into the thread here on the forum, and there you are.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Just looked at the instruction sheets from my Vervaco kits, the two I stitched and two more that I will probably be stitching in the future. Older kits don't have as clear instructions as what I think must be later ones. All of mine show 2 strands for regular cross stitches and 1 strand for back stitching by the lines connecting the thread icon and number to the pictures you described. What can be confusing is that the diagrams showing how to do a cross stitch and a back stitch show only a thick looking strand making the stitch rather than clearly being two strands. I agree with Jo and Serinde that the single strand cross stitch is probably to show different depths or textures. I have had that also, with different projects I have done.

If you need more help in figuring out how to post photos (and I hope you will be able to because I would love to see the progress of your Vervaco piece),
this thread : Posting pictures in a Thread should help.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

And don't think twice about contacting Vervaco and asking them. Most companies would rather you did that, and many can be really helpful. :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome from me in the Scottish Borders! :D

Can't add anything to good advice you have already received as never stitched a Vervaco design. I have, though, used single strand in designs to give depth and definition to the stitching. Sometimes not in the instructions but as I thought it looked better that way!