Afghan stand

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

crosstitcher1

Afghan stand

Post by crosstitcher1 »

Hey Guys and Gals,
GBU all 2.
I know it's been "over" several years since I've been on. Thanks, Rose for keeping me "online" in signing in. Had to "refresh" my memory on my name and pw in here. And hopefully, you all can get my website up, thanks again Rose for "reposting" it for me, to see what I have been doing.
I will "officially" be finishing my In Loving Memory Remembrances this year. I started them in 2009 after a dear family friend passed away, and have done close to 40 since.
I have "rearranged" my computer/hobby/library room, to hubby's dislike, to accommodate my next projects, afghans.
I have looked thru over 20 pages on here to "refresh" my memory of asking about building my own afghan/quilt stand and haven't found it.
Here's what I "drew up" for the stand. I get height and width wrong when talking about them, so I say, "tall and wide", so bear with me.

Using 2' by 4's:
8' long, approx. 6-8

Tall:
Front: 32" on 4" wheels.
Back: 36" on 4 " wheels.

Wide:
Adjustable sizes:
24", 36" and 45".

Side braces (4):
Adjustable sizes:
24", 36" and 45"

I'm "adjusting" the sides as I work, from "front to back" instead of "side to side" to accommodate my rocking chair.

Front and Back braces ( 1 each):
45" wide

The "reason" only 1 brace for front and back is I'll have my rocking chair "seat under" the stand to "rest" my legs at times while sitting in my computer chair. I "tried" to sew "current project" sitting in rocking chair and "resting" my legs on computer chair, but found my legs "cramped" and they don't with them on the rocking chair.

Dowels with C-clamps (6 2" thick by 48" long"):
Will have 4 dowels "between" the stand "posts" covered with white velcro to help "secure" the afghans on the dowels when turning the project and the C-clamps "securing" the dowels on the "outside" of the stand.
2 dowels to make " approx. 3" pegs" for the "joining" of the stand. The "only" metal will be the screws to screw on the 4 wheels.

I'll have the afghans, while working from left to right, "accordion-style" folded on the right side of the stand with a sheet covering to "protect" the unused afghan from sunlight coming from my window in the room.

I know I have to sand all parts "before" I put on the 4" wheels and "lightly coat" the stand with beeswax, as I was told by someone in here "somewhere" in these posts. Also will "temporary" screw them on to measure from wheels to get my 32" tall and 36" tall for the stand.

So I am getting really "excited" about "finishing" the Remembrances and "starting" to build my stand to "start" my journey on the afghans for the next 8 years, as that's how many I have to do, and will take a year to get 1 done, as being they are "new" to me, will enjoy every stitch and seeing them "grow" before my eyes. Will ask our youngest daughter to "post" each on my website, "when" I give them to their "respective recipient".
Happy stitching in "Stitching land".
GBU and yours.
fccs

Re: Afghan stand

Post by fccs »

I hope you’ll show us the stand when it’s finished.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends