Decreasing design size?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kittie

Decreasing design size?

Post by Kittie »

Not sure if this is possible....friend has a chart that is 496x370 stitches. Is it possible to reduce the stitches to make design smaller. I told her I knew you could stitch on higher count fabric to reduce the fabric size needed, but I'm not sure if that reduces the actual design size. Any advice would help, thanks everyone.
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Decreasing design size?

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

You are right in thinking that stitching on a higher count fabric will make the final project smaller - but only in cm/inch size, not in the number of stitches. If the original has 183520 stitches (like the one you mention) then so will this smaller version, they'll just be smaller stitches!

Reducing the stitch size is a bit like making a digital photograph smaller in that it involves taking out actual pixels/stitches. This is a completely different proposition and would take a lot of work. Depending on the level of detail in the original you could simply leave out every other stitch *) (which would reduce the number of stitches by 75%), but it is unpredictable what that would do to the image!

*) The easiest way of doing this would be to cross out on the chart every other line of stitching, both horizontally and vertically, and to stitch what remains as if it were continuous. But as I said the ultimate result might look OK or horrible, who knows unless you simulate it digitally first.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

If leaving out every other row, it's probably best to simulate it digitally first. And there is a real risk it'll look horrible.

But as Mabel says, you can reduce the physical size by increasing the fabric count.

If it's on 14 ct and you go to 18ct the size will be 77% of the original. If you go from a 14ct full cross to a 28ct half stitch, the size will be 50% the original. But it will still take a heck of a time to stitch. Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs & some people like a reminder on how to do it, but the way to get the percentage is by this formula:
New size(% of old size) = (Old count/New Count) x 100

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Kittie

Post by Kittie »

Thanks for the replies. Have I calculated these fabric sizes correctly? 14ct would be a 39x30 fabric(allowing 3 inches for framing) and 18 ct would be 31x24 fabric?
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Using the Cross Stitch Calculator and rounding up I get for 14 count fabric with 3 inches border you would need fabric which is 42in x 33 in. For 18 count (rounding up again), I get 34in x 27in. You have to include the 3 inches on each side of the design for framing in your calculation. Which actually adds 6 inches to the width and the length of the fabric.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Kittie

Post by Kittie »

Thanxs, I was only adding 3 inches total,not each side. Glad I asked first. Have a great day!!!😄😄😄
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

You can get away with a 2" (5cm) border or a bit less, but it isn't easy. 3" makes things easier to cope with and less cramped near the edge of a roller frame. Also, mounting the picture afterwards is easier and more flexible with a 3" or larger border.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation