Quick daily posts

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sahari

Re: Quick daily posts

Post by Sahari »

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies, as always.

And Steve, just because you're paperless doesn't mean you can't print out a utility bill and present it... although it just hit me that maybe you're off the grid?

~S
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Sahari wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:21 pmalthough it just hit me that maybe you're off the grid?
No, I can see the grid all around me.

I guess if a printed invoice is accepted that works, but they could be easily modified before printing.
-Steve

Sahari

Post by Sahari »

I guess if a printed invoice is accepted that works, but they could be easily modified before printing.

We've been paperless for years, and have had no problem submitting printouts, which I guess can always be verified.

Your doggie is a cutiepie, btw.

Sahari
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Steve, I found myself without 2 years of Council Tax forms (sort of like property tax) because, let's face it, why would I save it? So I rang the Council, spoiling for a fight, had all my lines ready, only to have the wind taken out of my sails completely by a terribly helpful gal who asked two questions: (1) how many years receipts did I need? and (2) would I like them via email or the post? Had to lie down in a darkened room with a cool compress! :lol:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Nice to be pleasantly surprised sometimes :-)

My unpleasant suprise for this week: a bit of tooth fell off last night as I was brushing my teeth. The good news is that I've got a dentist's appointment (with our very local dentist - 8 minutes' walk) tomorrow.

Also we're having our oven cleaned this afternoon; can I stand all this excitement!
(I have it done as a treat for myself about once every three and a half years, and every time the lovely man remembers me, bless him)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Hi everyone :wave: I don't think anyone remembers me, as I haven't been on here for quite some time. I have done quite a bit of stitching, but with this virus and everything I kind of forgot to post anything on here :oops:
I really hope you're all well and I'm looking forward to having a browse around :wub:
Sina
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I tend to clean our oven every year or so. Don't like doing it more frequently than that because it smells so lovely immediately you start cooking with a sludged up oven.

Fortunately the sides & top have a catalytic coating, so I just have to clean the back, gas burners, bottom & inside of the door. Last time I had to disassemble the door because somehow stuff had got between the two panes of glass and burnt solid on the outside of the inside pane of glass. It made a laborious job even worse than usual and I got accused of breaking the thing when Tracy saw it halfway through the process. I think this year it'll be December when I get to it - the year is zipping past so quickly.

When we bought our last house, the previous owner's oven was left behind as it was hard connected to the gas pipes. It was obvious the elderly lady had been unable to clean properly for years. She had 13 cats, but apparently fed them so much they were not interested in slaughtering the local fauna. Well, that's the only explanation I can think of for the fact the warming drawer under the 1940's oven had a 3" (75mm) deep layer of mouse droppings in it... Strangely enough, we didn't keep that oven. :shock:

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
richardandtracy

Sina, good to see you back. Would love to see your work.

Richard
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Sina, great to see you back again.!

Steve, we have the same requirement for renewing our driver's licenses. I'm not sure of all the details but am pretty sure this is because of the federal requirement (not sure when it went into effect) that to get on a domestic flight, enter a federal building or military installation, you must be able to show proof of identity and citizenship. Having and showing a current passport was supposed to allow you to get in. Some states already had the requirements for a "real id" for issuing state driver's licenses. Some states refused to do this when it was first announced and SC was one that refused. It was supposed to go into effect in October of this year, but was postponed because of the pandemic to next October. In SC I know that printing a bill with your address (like a utility bill or cable bill) is acceptable. I don't know if the requirements are different for each state. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there are mistakes in what I just said.

Just find this on the SCDMV Website:
The US Congress passed the REAL ID Act of 2005 as a result of the 9/11 Commission’s recommendation to standardize government-issued identifications, like driver’s licenses. This is a federal law that affects federal agencies, federal buildings, and military bases. A REAL ID license is valid for no more than eight years.

I have to do the same thing as you when my license needs to be renewed.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hey, Sina! So glad you found us again! :wave:

Back in the day when you needed two forms of ID in order to pay by cheque in a store, I was in Marshall Field's. Recently returned from the UK, I only had my driver's licence and my passport. The lady behind the desk accepted the driver's licence, but baulked at the passport. In frustration, I told her that if it was good enough for the US government, it was good enough for her... at which point she decided to consult her supervisor, and it was all settled... :lol:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:17 am
Back in the day when you needed two forms of ID in order to pay by cheque in a store, I was in Marshall Field's. Recently returned from the UK, I only had my driver's licence and my passport. The lady behind the desk accepted the driver's licence, but baulked at the passport. In frustration, I told her that if it was good enough for the US government, it was good enough for her... at which point she decided to consult her supervisor, and it was all settled... :lol:
You have brought many happy memories back. I loved Marshall Field's as a child especially. It was one of the first stores in Chicago to have animated Christmas windows. My mother always took my sister and me to downtown Chicago (which meant an exciting ride on the "L" and subway). Years later shopping at Fields was also fine. Don't remember needing two forms of ID to write a check, but usually what I was able to purchase could be done with "real live cash money". In those days, single women had a very difficult time getting a credit card.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Going in to town on the IC was always a treat (apart from when I was older and working!), and Christmas was always a special time with the windows and concerts. My grandparents lived in Beverly and my older sibling grew up there too, I think, before moving to the south suburbs in the '50s.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

How about this for verification of identity?
A friend who had lived on Orkney for all of his adult life and never left had to return to Manchester for his father's funeral. He was due to fly out. No passport because he had never needed one but he did need something for that flight. His driver's license was the old non photo type....but his library ticket had his photo on it. So that's what he used for the flight.
Howzat?!!
richardandtracy

I still find needing to verify identity for travel within the UK very hard to swallow, regardless of the fact it was possible with a library card.

You don't in a car, bus, ferry or train, so why a plane? I can think of no reason that is not equally valid for the other modes of transport. And if not needed for them, why a plane?

Regards,

Richard
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

@Richard Propensity for bad guys to blow planes out of the sky? Overweaning executive trying to keep track of citizens? Various levels of paranoia in between? But I absolutely take your point and feel much the same way. Checkpoints on the M6 might raise eyebrows... though around Knutsford it wouldn't normally be necessary, as it is always congested anyway. :lol:

Just sent off my request for a ballot for the US election, after much dithering about whether I should vote or not. Guess some elections are too important. Y'all UK residents happy to be in my constituency? :idea:
richardandtracy

How does presenting a piece of paper prevent you bombing a plane? It doesn't. It can't. It's the baggage check that does that, which makes the identity check irrelevant and pointless, merely a method of collecting data that will never be looked at.

I do wonder if the bureaucrats who decide these rules are the slightest bit aware that forgery of identity documents is possible and done on an industrial scale. Anyone with nefarious purposes in mind will have one, so all it does is inconvenience the law abiding and is easily avoided by the criminals. As usual.

Regards,

Richard.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

It's a sad fact of modern life that no one trusts anyone these days. :cry:

We had an awful drive south! Rain,rain and more rain. The hire van is only18 months old but totally worn out...to be expected I guess but things should be fit for purpose.
We arrived jaded but safe though, late Friday and now ready to start the sorting and chucking out stuff. We have little in the way of furniture to take but there seems to be an awful lot of things we we do want to take. At least it's stopped raining for the moment. :dance: There was a small leak in the roof of the van which needs sealing. D/H will fix that ASAP.
Can't wait for these next 3 weeks to pass and we shall be back on our way north again. :whoop: :whoop:
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Glad you are ok -- just have seen horrid scenes from southeastern France and Italy, and glad you aren't involved. Disappointed about that van. You'll need to complain when you get back, that's for sure!
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

We are in SW France north of Toulouse. Just heavy rain showers here today. Friday night was awful. The road from Brive la Gaillard to Cahors was awash. Not a nice end to a long days driving. :tizzy: :doh:
richardandtracy

Good luck with that Wendy, driving some vans is very wearing and rotten weather is just what you don't need at the end of a long trip. We had a Sprinter for 17 years and it felt very refined compared to many vans, even if it was severely underpowered at only 80 bhp for a 3.5 tonne gross vehicle. Had to make overtaking decisions long in advance. But it was good on roads flooded less than 18" deep.

Earlier this year we had a new Ford Transit Custom loan vehicle while our Vito was having repairs done after some [bleep] rammed it when parked & drove off. That was so 'busy' and bouncy in comparison to the relaxed Vito that I ended up desperate to get our van back. A 40 mile round trip to Canterbury was tiring. Dread to think how you feel after going to SW France.

Good luck on the way back.

Richard.