Confetti and changing thread

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Re: Confetti and changing thread

Post by richardandtracy »

Podolyanka wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:13 pm Serinde, to begin with, a really professionaly made design does not have confetti worth mentioning, let alone starting to park. ...
I have come late to this discussion, missed it somehow.

Lyudmila, I can't altogether agree with you about a good design not having lots of confetti. I rather think it depends on what the chart is trying to achieve as to whether confetti is useful or not.
If you are trying to get almost photographic realism, then you are guaranteeing that you will fail badly if you do not have confetti.
If however, you are wanting a more stylised design, then little confetti can achieve that aim but is not an inevitable consequence of not using confetti.
Each method in their place. Heavy confetti in a simple design is highly inappropriate and little confetti in quasi photographic pattern can lead to horrible contours, which is also inappropriate.

As for parking. With more than 10 needles, my stitching speed drops to the point where I might as well not bother - getting fewer than 10 Stitches an hour. I use just one needle, and the cross country method. Even with over 60 colours in a 10 x 10 square it's possible, though not fast.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Richard, you are absolutely right in both aspects, but I do not stitch photographs, and designers normally do not offer photographs. So relying on confetti in most cases does mean lack of skill or artistic imagination. I have stitched quite a few designs, and am saying again from my own experience: the more talented (and technically skillful as an artist) the designer, the easier is stitching of his/her most detailed and masterful design. Look back at your studying at the uni- the greater engineer and scientist the lecturer, the easier you understand his lectures. The same connection between talent/knowledge/skill and expressiveness. I repeat again: I am not speaking about photographs. Your fantastic cat would not look so true to life if he were not so detailed.
Lyudmila
Crea-Logboek

Post by Crea-Logboek »

Having just finished my corgi-project, which was very confetti heavy, I tried different methods dealing with it. What worked for me in the end was a maximum of 5 needles threaded at the same time, at least 2 needle minders, some parking, lots of pin-stitches to start and end threads, and stitching on the diagonal (in rows of 10 stitches). It was slow going, but it kept me sane and my threads relatively untangled.
I kept all floss (DMC) as skeins in small boxes sorted by number. Even with all the blended threads, all used threads would return to their respective skein after use. Again it took a lot of time combining and separating threads, but with 114 colours made from 135 floss colours I didn't want to mess around with 135 floss colours AND about a 100 blended colours.
Hopefully you'll find a method that works for you.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you, Crea, it is very useful information. :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell