Single Thread

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sahari

Single Thread

Post by Sahari »

Hello there stitchers. It's so good to have this forum to turn to in these moments...

I'm approaching the end of my current project (the one that has taken 3 years because I started over at the 2/3's point). I'm going to turn it into a pillow (without a sewing machine - magic!) and I promise to post a picture.

My thoughts are turning to the next project and I'm pretty sure i'll be embarking upon my first Scarlet Quince pattern (gulp). I was looking at some YouTube videos of various kitting up approaches, and noticed someone was stitching with a single thread. It was a HAED, and I'm not sure what pt. size cloth she was using.

So I'm asking for feedback on what point size you think would be small enough to get away with using a single thread, instead of two threads.

That pattern I'm looking at assumes 18 pt, but I'll be using either 20 or 22 pt. because I need it to come out smaller.

Thanks and looking forward to the various opinions.

Sahari
Serinde

Re: Single Thread

Post by Serinde »

Good to see you! Hope you drop in more now that you've come by! :D

My HAED is on 25ct, and I'm using 2 over 1thread. I rather wish I was just using 1 over 1, because it feels very congested do to so much striating and stopping on the back, although it looks fine. If I were on anything smaller than 25ct, I'd be using 1 over 1. On 18ct, definitely 2 strands, I'd say and also 20ct or 22ct for coverage. Of course, the real way to know if it works is to do a sample on some of the fabric and see if you like how it looks.
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Appreciate the feedback, Serinde. If I had bits of various pts sizes, I would have just tested before posting but I have nothing except what I'm currently working on (14 pt), along with some budget considerations :roll:

It occurred to me after I posted (of course) that if I used a single thread, I'd have thread the need twice for each stitch that is a blended-color and I'm not sure if that's worth it to me. :thinks:

So if I may ask, which HAED are you working on? I'll go to their site and take a peek. Also, do you use a magnifier or do you have superhero eyes?

Sahari
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

My ancient eyes definitely need magnification if I'm going to stitch anything! :lol: I'm working on a HAED which has long since been retired by Ruth Sanderson, but I have in my stash Impossibilium by Aimee Stewart, and if I don't get it started soon, it will never get done. I see they are doing material packs these days... and I would do it 1x1 for sure on 25ct.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I have a a lot of HAED projects in progress (most are in the need to get back to stage). Most are on 25 count fabric using one strand of thread. I find that two strands is really difficult. I have used 2 strands if I do a tent stitch on 25 count. My suggestion would be that you do at least one if not more 10 x 10 squares on the size fabric you decide on to see how easy or difficult it is to get a needle through the fabric when there is a lot of confetti. Stitching a block with only one color won't let you see how bulky (not the right word, but I can't think of it) with thread the back can become when you have 10 or more colors in a small space. I agree with Serinde, if you are going to stitch in on 18 or 20 count and maybe even 22 count you should be able to manage 2 strands. Since you will have blended threads you don't really have an option so I'd say 18 or 20 would be your best bet.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Thanks Carole. Since I don't currently have the luxury of trying out various aida cloth pt. sizes, I really do appreciate the point of view. I don't think my eyes will handle 25, so I'll resign myself to two threads. Currently I'm working with 3 threads on 14 pt. so the thought of just a single thread seems heavenly... Just for my general understanding, however, I was under the impression, that one could do blended threads using 1 thread, by stitching one leg in one color, and the other leg in a second color. No? Or maybe it looks 'funny'?

If one of these blended stitch projects (HAED or SQ) takes 2-5 years (from what I read), I can't imagine having multiples going on at the same time! I really must be from another planet.

Sahari
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Interesting. I guess you could stitch blended threads the way you describe, but (personally) I'd probably lose the will to live! :lol: If you are going to be using a higher count fabric anyway, 2 over 1 will work wonderfully well. Plus you'll get that almost tapestry effect, which I think is very attractive.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I am doing two projects on 28ct, 2 over 1 tent stitch. The coverage is reasonable and allows for blending of threads by having the two strands. Over-stitching is also possible for that horrible moment when you find it's the wrong colour and the stitches are too congested to unpick. Also cuts down on project time as a cross is a bit slower than a diagonal. I have done 65 colours in a 10x10 square with this, so it's not too overpacked.

I have done the same on 25 CT and it's OK, but looks a bit sparce in photos, though not in reality.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Hi Richard. Thanks for checking in. What is the point of tent stitch, as in, how/why do you choose to use it? Just something different, or a particular project nets a better result with it?

Best,

Sahari