Sewing question

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Roland

Sewing question

Post by Roland »

I am trying to buy a sewing machine for my son’s partner for their birthday. The world is short on sewing machines. There is one I might be able to get, but it is a “front load bobbin”. Personally, I hate them. I cannot fathom why so many machines use it. Give me a good old “drop in” any day.

My question....does anyone have a front load, and is it something a young person can get used to? Should I forget about surprising, and just ask them if they want what I can find?
Serinde

Re: Sewing question

Post by Serinde »

I am almost totally ignorant about sewing machines, but I STRONGLY counsel you to forget about the surprising and take the Young Person with you looking at and (importantly) trying out machines. This is for the Young Person, after all.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Normally, good idea.

But we are living in a Covid world. Finding a store with a machine is difficult. Sitting down and trying out, nearly impossible unless you are looking at the over $700 machines. I didn’t pay that for my own.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Why the rush now? (Just curious, really.) Well, do take the Young Person into your confidence and talk about different machines. Go on The Tubes to watch vids about different machines?
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

As going to a sewing machine shop is fraught with danger I would suggest that you sit down with the person and look on Amazon. You could look at what machines are available, evaluate their style, what they do etc and come up with a list of what the machine must have and what is important but not imperative and what is not necessary at all. In that way you will be in a much better place to make a decision. You cannot go wrong if you buy a Singer or a Brother as they are excellent makes but there are others that are good too.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Roland

Post by Roland »

The rush....their birthday is in about a week and a half.

We were going to give them my old machine, but when I pulled it out....it’s not working. DH is going to take it apart today and see if he can fix it, maybe just a belt popped off or something. I was at a loss for what to buy as a gift, and asked DS if his partner would want a brand new machine as a gift and he immediately and enthusiastically said yes.

We cannot sit together and look through stuff. My husband is very high risk, as is son’s partner’s mother...who they are living with. (People say young people are not taking this virus seriously...well these two are.)

Shopping around is not an option really. Very few places have anything left. I tried to go to manufacturer, but even they are not selling the entry level machines.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yup. I get it now. Interesting how Covid infiltrates all manner of odd things. But sewing machine acquisition? Honestly, who woulda thought it? :(
Roland

Post by Roland »

Everybody is making masks.

Anyway, I called them because if they don’t want it, returning things is very difficult. Impossible in a lot of stores. They said they don’t think they would get enough use to buy one. But, their sister has a few, and if asked would give them one. So, I said if they do that, let me know and I’ll get them an iron and board.