Best stitching posture

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

poppy

Best stitching posture

Post by poppy »

Could you please tell me what is your most comfortable stitching position? I have been stitching, sitting on a chair leaning over my floorstand.
I have now some neck/backache.
I would be interested to know how you like to stitch.
Thank you in advance :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Roland

Re: Best stitching posture

Post by Roland »

I have a Lay-z-boy sofa. I sit with the foot part up, feet on it, knees bent and my work kind of resting on my knees. (Does that make any sense?)

On my left, my pattern is on the arm rest. A lamp is on the end table, as is Sir LanceALort. On my right, my materials and supplies are on the sofa.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Leaning over the floor stand is why I got rid of mine - along with lack of space for it anyway. I still use the rollers and put my larger stitchery on it and rest it against my table and my "middle/stomach". I know there are table frames but they would be too high I am sure.
My most comfortable seat/table edge is the little picnic/outdoor table on the balcony.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Leaning back in my chair with a cat on my lap, and frequently with another cat draped over my tummy and chest.

It isn't easy to work like that, and impossible to use a stand too. However, the cats are happy, which is the only important thing. :?

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I stitch at my dining room table. I have a comfy office chair where I sit (instead of on a dining room chair), my supplies are in a rolling cart on my left, my iPad with my chart on the table in front of me in a chart holder so it sits on an angle and is easy to reach and to see. On the table to my right are my instruments in an old coffee mug which includes, scissors, tweezers (for cat hair removal), stylus (for plotting my line of stitching if necessary and then highlighting what I have stitched). Most of the time I stitch with a cat in my lap which means I don't use my stand as much as I should. I have gotten better at 2 handed stitching without the stand as long as I am using a fairly large hoop.

The biggest obstacle I have is when the cat decides that my chest is a better place to view my progress (or to pay attention to her rather than the stitching?), because unlike Richard I haven't figured out how to stitch when she does that. As I noted in my update thread, at 19 I give in to her even more than I used to. Saying she rules the roost is an understatement.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

If I get daylight stitching time (or when I am at my stitching group) I sit at a table (dining table at home, sort of school type table at stitching group) and use either my table clamp (for smallish hoops up to 6" or so) or my seat stand. The seat stand doesn't come up as high as the table clamp, so I do bend over a bit more when using that, but I still maintain a fairly Victorian upright posture :-) . The bending seems to be neck more than back.

For evening stitching I sit in my armchair either hoop-in-hand (for small hoops up to 5") or using my Lowery stand. In either case I probably have a feline on my lap, but I do try and sit up as straight as possible. I make sure the stand is set up to be relatively high for that purpose.

Even so, long periods of stitching (when I have them) do leave me somewhat stiff, but I think that's more because I don't get up and move around every 30 minutes!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you for taking the time to write and explaining how you stitch. I can imagine each of you, stitching away. Thank you for the photo too, Mabel. You look so elegant and serene while stitching.

From what Carole, Richard and Sally said, first I really need a cat... :thinks:

I had to google what a Lay-z-boy sofa was. Wow, it sounds so comfy. I would love to have one of these, Roland.
Your answers are all helpful to me, thank you. :)
Hélène

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

poppy wrote:From what Carole, Richard and Sally said, first I really need a cat... :thinks:
An absolute priority :-)

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
poppy

Post by poppy »

I would not dare disturbing you stitching, Mabel, with Lexi, your defender sitting on your lap!!!! :)
Lovely photos, thank you. Lexi is gorgeous.
You don't have comfy chairs in your home. One just sinks into our settee!
Last edited by poppy on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hélène

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I sit in a recliner with my feet up. I have a table stand that straddles the chair and its legs sit on tables on each side of the chair, so once I'm seated, I pull the stitching to me instead of me leaning to the stitching. I pretty much just pour myself into the chair and surrender to gravity. It's quite comfortable for long stitching sessions.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

If I'm using my Lowery, I have to put a pillow between my back and the back of the couch. My posture is bad...apparently my mom never told me to sit up straight (or possibly I ignored her...).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you for taking the time to describe your sitting position for stitching. :)
With all this infos, I am experimenting...
Hélène

talenaya

Post by talenaya »

I usually stitch sitting on my sofa with extra pillows behind my back to force me to sit up (otherwise I eventually slouch and that hurts). I use to always have one of my "boys" on my lap and beside my but sadly the passed in 2017. My other half convinced me to get kids (whole other story for a different thread) and the girl usually lays on the front of the armrest next to me. I have an old Ottlight with an organizational caddy built in where I keep on my scissors and such. I keep all my threads, that I'm using, in a case and they are usually behind the kitten.

After typing this I realize just how complicated it sounds. :lol:
:kitty:Victoria :kitty:

:wip:
HEAD: Nala