A question for the in-hand stitchers

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

BizzieLizzie

A question for the in-hand stitchers

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I'm finding that stitching on a frame (I use a Lowery stand) is starting to give me a sore neck and shoulders. I've tried adjusting the height and angle, but that doesn't seem to help. So I want to have a go at in-hand stitching. The problem is, all my projects are HAED and GK BAPs and I just can't figure out how to hold a massive piece of fabric (Vanessa, I'm looking at you! :lol: ) comfortably with the sides and bottom of the fabric rolled up while still keeping an even tension in the area where I'm stitching. I've watched a few YouTube videos, but they all seem to be stitching on smaller pieces of fabric. Can any of you kind people explain how you hold large projects in hand, please?

Of course, bearing in mind that my current projects are on frames and taking them off would change the tension, I'm going to have to start a new one to practise in hand. Oh well, never mind ...
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Podolyanka

Re: A question for the in-hand stitchers

Post by Podolyanka »

You were actually asking Vanessa, but as I stitch full size tablecloths (2.3 x 1.5metre; 3.4X1.6; the largest/longest was 5 x 1.6), I think I can put my twopence in here.

I stitch sitting with my feet both on the sofa, and a large and hard cushion behind my back. This allows to put the tablecloth on my legs and on both sides from them. The hardest job is to stitch the centre as you have to hold at least 80 or 70 cm of fabric in your left hand. Stitching closer to the edges makes life much easier.

I fold up the tablecloth WIP carefully after each stitching session and it is not so wrinkled as those stitching on hoops and frames think it is.

In a word, eyes fear, hands do.
Lyudmila
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I roll up the fabric from the top and bottom so that the area I am working on is showing and I just hold the fabric tight with one hand and stitch with the other. I have always stitched this way that is just natural to me. I tried with a frame once and couldn’t get on with it at all. I think it is just what you get used to. Good luck!
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Depending on the size of the project, I just drape it in my hand. If it's a larger piece, I roll up the fabric and hold it in my hands so it is a more managable size. :)
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
Angelite

Post by Angelite »

I often stitch in hand and I also roll up my fabric to make it more manageable. If it's really getting in the way I will also keep it in place with a hair clip, nothing fancy, just what used to be called kirby grips (maybe still do?) I actually sit with it balanced on a crossed knee which is probably really bad for the circulation but I sort of alternate legs and get by. Also I sit in my computer chair and rest the fabric against the desk which seems to work for me. I hope you can find a way that is good for you.
~Vana~

Works in Progress:

HAED: Lily of the Valley
Heritage Crafts: Gypsy Caravans

2018 Finishes:

Anchor - Victorian Sampler
Heritage Crafts - Hard Frost and Winter Shoes