How to frame like this?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

CuriousKitty

How to frame like this?

Post by CuriousKitty »

Okay so my Mormor did this herself many years ago. It's padded somehow, but I have no idea how difficult is might be to frame something like this, kind of like a pillow almost? Is there kind of a "how-to" for idiots on how to frame like this? I love how old-fashioned it is, and I need to do something really nice for my sister and her husband for Christmas, and I thought something in the style that my Mormor did would be perfect.

kingfisher2

Re: How to frame like this?

Post by kingfisher2 »

I have read in cross stitch books how to frame like this & \so on websites like Scarlet Quince in their 'How To' & 'Resolutions' pages.

I looked on YouTube to see how to finish of circular frame, that had padding & although shown in a book step by step, it was also good to see it on YouTube step by step - just made it clearer seeing someone else actually do it.

I am sure other will have more helpful ideas but that is all I can think of at this moment. Look forward to seeing what you stitch. love the quotation this the one shown.
Izzi

If you believe you can you will
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've not framed anything quite this padded, but the principle is the same, I'd think. Get some acid-free mount board or foam core board, and put wadding on it. To get this pillowy effect, I'd put several layers on, each slightly smaller than the previous one. Then put the stitching over it and either very securely stick to the back, or for a longer-lasting finish without the risks of adhesive, lace. Lacing is fiddly, but worth it! You can find videos online, but for a quick introduction you might like to look at my FoF post about it. Hope that helps!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

The wadding I'd use would be a fluffy sheet of the same polyester used to stuff teddy bears. Uncompressed thickness of around 1/2 inch. Definitely lace the back - it's not hard but takes a bit of time. When lacing my work I've used thread designed for tatting (3d crochet) sold by DMC, so I knew it was at least as durable as the thread on the front of the work and acid free.

Hope that helps.

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Thanks for the starting point! Definitely out of my comfort zone, but I now have somewhere to start to take the plunge!
fccs

Post by fccs »

I think quilt batting works well. It's uniform in thickness so you won't get lumps and bumps.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Mabel, can you please tell me how thick your foam board is?
Sina
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

5mm, but that is not a significant size - I mean, I didn't choose it to be 5mm, I was donated two large sheets of it by the leader of our Sunday School who didn't need them any more, and then I found they would work for lacing :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Just a thought. This is such a beautiful stitching, why not to use a thin, narrow, simple, modern, wooden frame? Then the stitching would stand out. Please, ignore this comment if you dont like the idea.
Lyudmila
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Podolyanka wrote:Just a thought. This is such a beautiful stitching, why not to use a thin, narrow, simple, modern, wooden frame? Then the stitching would stand out. Please, ignore this comment if you dont like the idea.
Not at all. This piece is approximately 20-30 years old at least made by my grandmother. I didn't pick how it was framed! I don't think I could bear to take it out.

The idea was to make something similar for a nostalgic feel for my sister and her husband. Ordinarily, I'm a fan of a more modern frame myself.