Raining again

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

nannyrainbow

Raining again

Post by nannyrainbow »

Can't believe it has rained overnight & is still raining. It is cooler in the day but nights become humid still but glad to have a break from the heat. At least no wind today, yesterday was windiest day we have had for several weeks.

TV + Internet are on & off but thankfully we have not had a bad storms like many places in UK have. Some very rurual farmers are having ot buy bottled water. It must be the same in similar places throughout UK.

Those awful fires in USA as well as in Greece, must be so very frightening. Hope everyone who lives there or have relatives there are safe. Seems to be heating up all over the world.
Del
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Raining again

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Some rain here (Midlands) but in manageable proportions, our worst experience being a very wet and very affectionate cat :-)
And after tomorrow it's apparently going to be mostly dry and warm again - I'm running out of summer dresses to wear :shock:

Wishing all those who are suffering from extreme weather (wether too wet or too dry) all the best.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
country lass

Post by country lass »

We had rain for almost 2 days. Gardens, parks & farm lands look much better now. Dry so far today but cloudy. Cooler last night, warmer today.

Have been able to do some more stitching, small villa is taking shape. Went on that after a few nights on the different greens.

Have ordered 2 butterfly kits. Can't wait for them to come although they won't be started yet. Found them half price & again they are Dimensions ones. Have Anchor flower wheelbarrow to come too. I seem to be catching on to getting more stash, my hoard is growing :lol:
Daisy :D
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Thankfully we have finally had rain, great downpours, a bit of thunder but no lightening.

Hopefully all the wet stuff will finally help to put out the wildfires in the Llantysilio mountains around Llangollen tha have been buring for around 10 days now I think. With the wind coming directly from the south we in Flintshire and some parts of Denbighshire could see and smell the smoke, it was horrible and played havoc with my breathing, we could taste it in the air too and the Fire Service put out a statement as they had had so many calls reporting smoke stating that it was the Llangollen fire (around 20 or so miles as the crow flies, or, in this case as the wind blows from where we are) and to only call them if flames could be seen! Scary stuff.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

6.30am this morning I was out putting up our flood board across the front door as a thunderstorm came over.
6 minutes later the board had 2" of water lapping against it as huge lumps of water fell from the sky, they were too big to be called 'drops' and air resistance had turned them into inch wide dishes of water. Got the board in just in time. All the wind over the weekend blew vegetation into the road which blocked the drain we rely on to prevent our house from being at risk of flooding.
After another 6 minutes the storm had gone over and the sun was out. By 7am, the road was dry. Had I not had the board out, the flash flood would have got our house. We're OK for gentle, continuous winter rain, but summer storms are too much for the drains to cope with.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

*phew* a narrow escape because of your foresight :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: !
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

yes a narrow escape indeed for Richard & family. Glad you got defences up in time, would have been awful otherwise.

No rain here today, sunny but blowy, billowy cloudy grey skies coming from the west but not a drop of rain. Garden slabs wet this morning so obviously had rain overnight.

How awful Garnet, must be so difficult for you to breathe with the smoke travelling across the miles to your area. Hope you feel better soon. Keep on stitching if you can. The lovely Wuthering Heights project will be so pretty when stitched. :)
Del
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

yes a narrow escape indeed for Richard & family. Glad you got defences up in time, would have been awful otherwise.

No rain here today, sunny but blowy, there are billowy clouded grey skies coming from the west but no rain. Garden slabs wet this morning so obviously had rain overnight.

How awful Garnet, must be so difficult for you to breathe with the smoke travelling across the miles to your area. Hope you feel better soon. Keep on stitching if you can. The lovely Wuthering Heights project will be so pretty when stitched. :)
Del
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

In response to Mabel,

Just wish I had the foresight to invent an automatically self deploying gate that needs no power (the rising water level itself doing the deploying) that will have a working life of 20 years with no maintenance & will not get stuck up with grit or any other stuff and will not deploy unless the house is at risk (so rain from a shower/winter rain will not deploy it).

Not an easy concept to come up with. I have looked at the downpipe filling up a leaky tank, and having a float in the tank that operates a drum of the shape of the Thames Barrage gates that can come up 10 or more inches. It would need calibration to ensure that the leaky tank didn't leak too fast & let the gate down early, or be too watertight & deploy the gate when not needed. However.. reliability with no maintenance would be an issue, and the 'no maintenance' requirement really is needed - I know what I'm like!

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

I'm jealous of all your rain. Most of California is on fire, again. We're ok here in Sacramento, but we're basically surrounded by fires and the air is disgusting. Good ol' typical california summer....
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram