Tips for stitching on evenweave

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

Tips for stitching on evenweave

Post by Nicola Main »

Hi guys! I've always stitched on 14 count aida (occasionally 16 count) but I have a project coming up and I'm toying with the idea of using 28 count evenweave instead of the 14 count aida which comes with it. Do any of you have any tips for an evenweave newbie?

Regards, Nicola xxx
Eat, Sleep, Stitch, Repeat ...
poppy

Re: Tips for stitching on evenweave

Post by poppy »

I would say: take your time at first and your eyes will get used to the fabric. Also, I like to grid when I work on evenweave. It is much softer than Aida and lovely to work on. I wonder what the others will say... :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I just recently started a project on evenweave for the same reason. The kit came with 14 ct, but this one is special and I wanted the image to really pop. I hadn't stitched on anything smaller than 18 ct in a very long time. Here's what I'm currently encountering:

1.) My eyes are CRAP. I need reading glasses + lighted magnifier + really good lighting to count accurately.
2.) The biggest needle I was comfortable using so as not to stretch the holes was a size 26 which makes threading two strands a bit more difficult (see #1).
3.) I think the result is totally going to be worth the aggravation.

Go for it and have fun!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Go for it Nicola, it is quite easy once you get used to counting the threads. I take it you would stitch over 2 threads of evenweave to start with, doing it over 1 thread is easy and makes a much smaller finished product of course. Over 2 threads is the same size as the original on aida.
Don't pull your thread too tight.
I use a 26 needle for everything
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

In addition to the great advice above, I have two tips:

1. Try a few different types of evenweave to find one you really like. I love 28 ct Jobelan, others prefer Brittney, Jazlyn, etc.

2. If you’re planning to stitch over 1, be careful of vanishing stitches (aka slippage). This is where the floss slips between the weave of the fabric and disappears to the back. Have a look at page 3 of JoannaG’s thread ‘Joanna’s current projects - HAED start’ in the SAL section for more info. Mabel has posted a very useful diagram there of how to avoid it. (Not sure how to link it on my phone!).

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your progress pics!
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks everyone! Bit nervous but I've decided to go for it! The fabric I've chosen is called Lilac Sky and is a dyed fabric from Lakeside Needlecraft. It's for the Vervaco Secret Stitch Along which starts on 20th April so will stitch over two to keep the same size as the original design (it comes supplied with 41 x 41cm grey aida). The theme is Nature (from teaser photos it looks like flowers and a bird are involved which is just up my street!) and every week for nine weeks we get sent a part of the pattern and can post progress pics on a Facebook group (I of course will also post here). But as I'm not a very fast stitcher and work always gets in the way I think I will probably not be finished in the 9 weeks. I want to take my time with it especially as I will be stitching on a new type of fabric for me xxx
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

There are French knots in this design which I absolutely detest so going to change for Colonial ones. How easy is it to do knots on evenweave? xxx
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Very easy, as long as you don't go down the same hole as you came up in (I have form in disappearing knots...) - unless they are really really chunky 6-strand knots, in which case they'll be fine whatever hole you go down into :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks Mabel! And thanks to everyone else who helped! Watch this space to see what happens! ;) xxx
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I was very nervous the first time I was aware that I was stitching on "even weave". I say aware, because I had been stitching on 18ct afghan fabric (Charles Croft) for years and was shocked when I found out (thanks to our Mabel) that it was an even weave. I personally don't like stitching on Aida and I think that you will make the adjustment with very little problem. Most of my projects are on 28ct Lugana (which I think is called Brittany in the UK, but I'm not positive) which is my favorite fabric. Some packaged fabrics just say Evenweave so I don't know what they are exactly, but I have used those as well. My favorite needle is a 28 petite and I use it on most everything.

Finally, as I have gotten older I find that the most important thing of all is a good magnifying lamp. Makes it all so much easier. The light is good for my eyes but the magnifier is imperative these days!

Can't wait to see your work!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I have 20+ size 24 DMC needles for my Pako needle organiser. I don't really want to buy any more needles so would size 24s be fine? xxx
JoannaG

Post by JoannaG »

I've been using gold 28s for my 28count.

I have some steel 26s that work as well but don't slide as easily through the fabric. They don't open the hole too much.

I don't have any 24s to check for you.

I have some 22s but they are way to big for normal stitching on 28 count. I did use them for gridding the 28count as I needed a bigger eye for the fishing line.

I reckon, try the 24s and see if it works for you. You can decide later if you aren't feeling it.
Current WIP:
Design Works Frogpile
HAED Treasure Hunt Bookshelf SSMC

2017 Finisher:
Dimensions Ballerina Dreams
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks Joanna! :wink:
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I didn't see where you said if you were going to do 2-over-1, 2-over-2, or 1-over-1.
For 2-over-1, tent stitch it. If you're doing 1-over-1 full crosses, tent stitch the bottom leg. That'll keep stitches from sliding between the fabric threads. If you're doing 2-over-2, make sure you start the stitch in the right 'hole' or you'll have trouble with stitch legs sliding under the fabric threads.

This is what happens when you don't tent:
The top row shows what was stitched and the bottom row shows why the fabric weave can't hold the stitches. I use the Continental tent stitch, which uses more thread, but it gives more room to anchor tails on the back so there's no fighting to get your needle under the back of the stitch.

For doing 2-over-2, full crosses, this shows the correct placement of the first 'hole'. You want to start in the hole upper left of where the vertical fabric thread and the horizontal fabric threads are on top.

This shows the wrong 'hole':

And this shows what happens if you start in the wrong 'hole':
The fabric threads can't hold the stitch in place and the floss slides under the threads and partially disappears.

WIP
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks Allyn! In my first reply I say I'm doing 2 over 2 to keep the same size as the design of the Secret Stitch xxx
fccs

Post by fccs »

Once you get used to the over-2 stitching, it will become second nature. I always cross the vertical threads, but whatever thread you cross, it's easy to see when you're off because you'll be crossing the opposite one. Does that make sense? In my case, if I suddenly see I am crossing a horizontal thread, I know my count is off somewhere (unless I am doing a section one-over-one).

I'll be curious to hear how you like it.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thank you! I'm torn between two colours either Cloud Blue or Cloud Lilac! :roll:

Would cotton or linen evenweave be better for a beginner?
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I think it would depend on the linen. I'm not sure how to explain the differences (we have some members who are far more knowledgeable that I am about this). Some are more "natural" in that there may be little nubs (don't know what to call these) in the weaving. There may be different widths in some of the fabric strands. Depending on the design it can be lovely, but counting is for me more difficult. The few I've done like that turned out fine, but took a lot more concentration for stitching. Worth it. Even weave fabrics are more predictable in their consistency. Like everything else in cross stitch, it all depends on what you prefer to use. I know this isn't much help, but the first time I tried linen which was years (decades) before joining the forum I tried stitching on a beautiful but not uniform piece of linen. Disaster. Thanks to the forum and learning so much from others, I do much better with it now. And love to use it now and then.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

Great advice on this thread. I am learning things too.
Allyn wrote:The fabric threads can't hold the stitch in place and the floss slides under the threads and partially disappears.
That is very helpful to me. Thank you.

Looking forward to reading how you get on Nicola! :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

All great tips. I was nervous with evenweave when I first tried it but now love using it. It's especially fabulous to use if there are a lot of 1/4 stitches. My favourite even weave is monaco. It has more body than the others and has more of a feel to aida that way, stiffer, great for ornaments and framed stuff.
Linda