2018 Deliveries & Stash Acquisitions

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

poppy

Re: 2018 Deliveries & Stash Acquisitions

Post by poppy »

Both charts should be a joy to stitch. The humming bird's colours are amazing!

Nicola, I am looking forward to hearing about what you think about working with your new needle organizer.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

the hummingbird must be so joyful to stitch with all those gorgeous colours!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Thank you. There were several hummingbird charts but I particularly l like this one as it is different. I will not be stitching on dark background though. Have also seen a blackwork hummingbird which I may get round to doing one day.

I have several charts/kits I want to do, found it difficult to chose before I started the cottage but still I bought these 2 charts. Being sensible I should have waited until I needed another kit to start but wanting seems to over ride sensible when it comes to cross stitching with me :roll:

Talking about birds, on Friday DH & I decided to come back home via one of the scenic routes when we'd finished what we had to do on Saturday am. On clear days we get a wonderful day even in winter on clear frosty days it is beautiful. Well Sat morning came, very misty & continual rain so we'd not have a view but decided to go that way anyhow. As we turned down a narrow road we spotted a buzzard sitting on a low post. He was very wet, looked most bedraggled - enough to make you want to get a towel & dry it. As we drew nearer we could see that the under feathers had stayed dry & his chest was beige; seemed very light compared to almost black of his outer feathers.

The sparrowhawks which nest a mile or so away had not ventured out. They usually sit on one of 2 tall bare trees further along & they stand out against the starkness. We like to go that other way when hunting birds are teaching their young. Often see 2 sparrowhawk families out but each knows the boundary of their air space & neither tries to invade the others territory. One year each family consisted of 3 youngsters as well as 2 parents so 10 birds in one go was a sight to behold :wub:
Daisy :)
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

The aquision of kits is often on a need to have basis and not on a sensible basis! I know that from personal experience :lol: The same goes for threads and fabric. I have 3 drawers full of fabrics plus the complete set of Anchor threads as well as a selection of other makes.
We have a word for it here .....SABLE which stands for Stash Aquistions Beyond Life Expectancy @rotfl:

If you haven't got that yet you're not trying hard enough :lol:

I love that hummingbird BTW :D

As for Buzzards and Sparrowhawk in France they almost outnumber the other birds. We also have Black and Red Kite. In the woods behind us are Golden Oriel and in summer we have Hoopoo. I keep my binoculars handy to see the birds and also our resident Hare and deer.
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I love my birdwatching and have always loved birds since I was at primary school. I have so many bird books and a passion of mine is collecting old and antiquarian ones. They are written just with a different style to the newer ones which are mostly about identification, the older ones will go much more in depth about birds lives and behaviour which I love. I can also pride myself on knowing pretty much every British bird by their scientific name off by heart - Buzzard is Buteo buteo and Sparrowhawk Accipiter nisus :wink: Anyway I digress ........
The hummingbird looks beautiful and very intricate with lots of detail! xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Nicola Main wrote:I love my birdwatching and have always loved birds since I was at primary school. I have so many bird books and a passion of mine is collecting old and antiquarian ones. They are written just with a different style to the newer ones which are mostly about identification, the older ones will go much more in depth about birds lives and behaviour which I love. I can also pride myself on knowing pretty much every British bird by their scientific name off by heart - Buzzard is Buteo buteo and Sparrowhawk Accipiter nisus :wink: Anyway I digress ........

And Wren is Troglodytes Troglodytes which makes me laugh as it's such a long name for one of our tiniest birds :lol:
Puffin is Fratercular arctica :wub:
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

wendywombat wrote:
Nicola Main wrote:I love my birdwatching and have always loved birds since I was at primary school. I have so many bird books and a passion of mine is collecting old and antiquarian ones. They are written just with a different style to the newer ones which are mostly about identification, the older ones will go much more in depth about birds lives and behaviour which I love. I can also pride myself on knowing pretty much every British bird by their scientific name off by heart - Buzzard is Buteo buteo and Sparrowhawk Accipiter nisus :wink: Anyway I digress ........

And Wren is Troglodytes Troglodytes which makes me laugh as it's such a long name for one of our tiniest birds :lol:
Puffin is Fratercular arctica :wub:
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Work in Progress
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Sounds a birdwatchers parade where you are Wendy. Are you thinking of branching out into having a bird watching holiday business? Watched a programme on Brits starting up businesses in France a few years ago. One did star gazing as so much countryside & dark sky where they lived.

Nicola, I love looking at antiquarian books. They usually have such delicate drawings in them & as you say a lot of information. I liked flowers ones as well as birds. Fascinated how people sit & draw the pictures & add all the wording. Must have taken all their waking hours years ago. The wording adds a lot to the books as well doesn't it? A difference turn of phraseology(?) in those days.

Found piece of pale blue Aida in my stash for the hummingbird. I did not realise until I went to re check the size of that project today that the background is stitch in & not dyed fabric like I thought it was. I'm not doing that, mine will be the bird only stitched on plain pale blue. Think the colours should still show up well enough on that. Will do for me anyway.

And, yes I do qualify for SABLE with the items I have put away, so good to know I really do fit in :lol:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

daisymay wrote:Sounds a birdwatchers parade where you are Wendy. Are you thinking of branching out into having a bird watching holiday business? Watched a programme on Brits starting up businesses in France a few years ago. One did star gazing as so much countryside & dark sky where they lived.

And, yes I do qualify for SABLE with the items I have put away, so good to know I really do fit in :lol:
I'm retired and too darn lazy to take on B&B or themed paying guests :lol: Friends welcome, relations by appointment! @rotfl:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

wendywombat wrote:I'm retired and too darn lazy to take on B&B or themed paying guests Friends welcome, relations by appointment!
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
daisymay

Post by daisymay »

@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: to!!
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I've just ordered this lovely flower book by Shirley Watts for a couple of pounds on Ebay. Been wanting it for a while and I think it'll be great for doing little gifts and things which I can stitch for friends and family. I also like that they are very realistic looking and I just love my florals :wink:

Work in Progress
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Very pretty and delicate. I can see why you have liked them for a while. Hope they come soon for you to start using them. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Such a beautiful book, just looking at that cover makes me want to stitch the flowers! When you get it, get you tell me if there are more than 6 flowers inside it?
Sina
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Oh there is Sina I wouldn't have got it for just six charts :D I looked at preview pages on eBay and there are a lot of different projects from small gift tags and cards to bigger ones xxx
Work in Progress
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Oh well, I may just have bought it :applesauce:
I looked for it everywhere, but it's very difficult to get here in Germany. But Amazon.uk had it - used, but in very good condition. With shipping it's still only 7,75€. :whoop:

I really couldn't resist this one. I just love wild flowers. I think when I have a home of my own every wall will be covered in wild flower papier peints. My boyfriend will just have to deal with it. :lol:
Sina
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Awwwww lovely Sina! I look forward to seeing what you decide to stitch! I will do them on the side along with my Wrendales or when I need to do small projects away from home or on holiday xxx
Work in Progress
Mabel Figworthy

Great find!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

My tension clips from member Niki (Fizzbw) arrived today so I put them on straight away! They are excellent! She custom made them to 6.5 inches for me as the gap between fabric and frame was quite big. Brilliant accessories highly recommend them!

Work in Progress
Mabel Figworthy

Looking good! Niki, how "adjustable" are they? I mean, will they work only at, say, 4-1/2", or would 4-1/2" ones also work at a 4 or 5 inch distance?
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page