Eye Strain

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Lulu22

Eye Strain

Post by Lulu22 »

I have been getting eye strain whilst stitching for the last three or so months, annoyingly I can read books, use the lap top, watch TV and my sight is fine, but after ten minutes or so of stitching my eye sight blurs and I struggle to focus.
I have done everything I can think of to stop this but nothing seems to work.
I had an eye test last month my vision is very good but I was given reading glasses to ease the strain, I have taken breaks where I don't stitch for 3/4 days, I'm doing eye exercises since last week, I have a daylight lamp for stitching so its quite bright, I've switched from 20 to 18 count aida for a new project to see if that would help but I still have this problem, does anyone have any tips as I'm at a loss as to what to do next?

I know my eye's are fatigued I have been getting muscle twitches, does anyone know how long it would take to ease off, maybe I need to not stitch for longer period?
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Eye Strain

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

How infuriating! :hug: I'm afraid I can't offer any advice beyond what you're already doing - and will gratefully receive any great ideas on the subject as my eyes aren't what they used to be either :-(
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

That must be really annoying. I think you just need to take regular breaks. The light is terrible this time of year which doesn’t help. I hope it passes soon and you will soon be stitching again.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

!!!!!!!!!!!
Is about the most useful thing I can say.
How ... [Searching for a polite word] ... Annoying.

Hope it clears up. The actions you're taking seem sensible.
One further thing that may help is a headset magnifier, other than that, we're left with exclamation marks.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

So sorry to hear about the eye strain you are having. You have had a lot to contend with lately as you had hip/leg problems recently.

The only other thing I can suggest apart from what has already been said is to use an even larger count fabric for a while. I know I am older than you but I find 18 strains my eyes after an hour or so even with a magnifier & bright light. I am better with 16 or 14 count. Maybe you could do larger count projects in between the smaller count you are using now. That would give your eyes a bit more of a rest every now & then.

Hope you soon find a solution which suits you :x: :rainbow:
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Granny Weatherwax

Post by Granny Weatherwax »

Hi,

I would recommend a visit to an eye doctor as it can be a problem with the eye muscles as wel.

All the best, Maartje
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

How aggravating! I am an avid reader as well as quilter and stitcher. I have found that I have to use much stronger reading glasses for quilting and stitching than I do to read. I use +1.75 or so to read with no eye strain at all, but need at least +2.50 or +3.00 to quilt or cross stitch. I have enough pairs of reading glasses scattered across the house, purses, project bags, and car to open at least a small mall kiosk. In the past I had been so frustrated with my inability to see to stitch, that I brought a sample of work on 22ct to show my eye doctor what I was trying to do - at which point he conceded that the prescription he gave me for reading would not be sufficient for the handwork. Hope this helps you a little.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Thank you for all your replies, the only thing I haven't tried is the magnifier thanks Richard, its interesting what you said about needing stronger glasses for quilting and stitching DisneyStitcher I'll pop in and have a chat with my opticians this week.

I am going to be patient and have a break for a couple of weeks see if that does the trick, along with keeping up the eye exercises I'm hoping this will recover them, I generally stitch for no more than a 2 hour sitting in the evenings but I'll do an hour when I get back to it and take it from there, I'm pretty sure my eye's are just tired and need a holiday!

In the meantime I'll just be watching everyone else's progress :)
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I have "dry eyes" and use an eye lubricant (which reminds me that I am out and need to get some more). I also use a magnilight, which is especially helpful on larger count fabrics. Check with your optician or ophthalmologist. Taking care of your eyes is a high priority!

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Possibly you need special eyeglasses for stitching. I have been ordering ones since 1998. The difference in my case is 0.5. That is, while right now my reading glasses are +4.75, for stitching I need +5.25.

To check what exactly glasses you need for stitching, take a piece of Aida 14 (or whichever you stitck to) with you to the Doctor and she will resolve the problem within 5 min.

And remember that if you stitch on Aida 14 in the lenses for finer fabric, you will feel uncomfortable on Aida 14. Depending on the count, you'd better use different glasses. Well, so many words. But I am trying to help from my own experience.
Lyudmila
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Is there any chance your daylight lamp is TOO bright for your eyes? Especially if it's reflecting off pale fabric? Just a thought ... :thinks:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

poppy

Post by poppy »

Lulu22 wrote: I have been getting muscle twitches, does anyone know how long it would take to ease off,
Sorry to hear that , Lulu (hug)

Last year, one of my eye twitched for months until I took some Magnesium supplements. It stopped very quickly after that, so in my case it was lack of magnesium.
May be you could try that too. xx
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

That's interesting about the magnesium Helene I'll try anything if it works!

I have ordered a clip on magnifying glass that should be here in a few days, so I hope that works for me.

Thank you every one for your help I really appreciate it. :)
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

My youngest daughter gets eyelid twitches rather like Dreyfus in the Inspector Clouseau films. Happens when you mention something she objects to very strongly. Quite funny really, but she can't voluntarily stop it & she finds it very wearing.

Hope the problem eases.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation