Help with stitching a tote bag

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

cokezero

Help with stitching a tote bag

Post by cokezero »

Hello all!
I've recently purchased a tote bag that has about a 9x9 stitchable area. I'm having trouble stitching it because I guess I don't stitch the "normal" way (I flip the hoop over every time to see where I'm stitching instead of bringing the needle through the back). So since I can't really flip over the tote because it's a bag, I'm looking for tips on how to stitch it. So far I've had to do it upside down so my hand can get in it right. Is this the right way to do it? I hope this makes sense and appreciate any feedback!
cokezero

Re: Help with stitching a tote bag

Post by cokezero »

Lots of views, no response. No tips? :(
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Sorry for not answering before, but to be honest, I have never used any of my stitching for anything other than a picture.

Being such a klutz, I should never be allowed near a sharp needle, anyway. On one occasion I stitched up a cape for dressing up for my 6yo daughter (when she was going to be 'Little Red Riding Hood'), and stitched 12" of the hem to my trousers. I was not impressed with my abilities...

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello cokezero and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I think you might not have gotten any responses because sometimes a new post can get lost in the middle of a lot of posts. Also a lot of members go forum by forum and may not look at tips and tricks. I would think that turning your hoop over every time you are stitching from the back would get cumbersome after a while, depending on the pattern, but there are very very few rules so if something works for you then it works. I might try doing a more traditional "sewing"style vs the "stabbing system" for cross stitching a bag. That way you are always stitching from the front. By that I mean go in one hole and come out the next one as one stitch. I'm not sure I can draw it but if you come up at C then go down at B and immediately bring your needle up at D and then do the same for E and F.
A B E
C D F
This video tutorial by Mary Corbet on backstitching shows you what I mean.

I think if you can show us a photo of your project it would also help. And I know we have members that have stitched on totes and other bags and will be glad to offer you any advice they have.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Stitching a tote is a wonderful idea. This might be the time to learn to have confidence in your stitching, too. Stitching 'two handed' and learning to "know" where your needle is on the back will speed up your stitching a lot and might help with stitch tension, too. Sounds like this project is the one to give you that confidence.

After all, I suspect all stitchers have the occasional "poke about" when we can't get the needle through the exact hole we can see from the top. I'll sometimes use a finger on my left hand (I'm right handed) to guide the needle. Sometimes I lightly drag the needle's point along the underside until I am in the right place. (Especially on a complex design.) Sometimes, I get the needle in the hole First Time! :lol: Just takes a bit of time.

Meanwhile, how about a photo so we can see what you're doing? :camera:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde wrote:I'll sometimes use a finger on my left hand (I'm right handed) to guide the needle. Sometimes I lightly drag the needle's point along the underside until I am in the right place. (Especially on a complex design.) Sometimes, I get the needle in the hole First Time!
Likewise. I don't generally stitch two-handed (I just don't find it comfortable) but definitely use the "Guiding Finger" to find the right place.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
cokezero

Post by cokezero »

Thank you everyone! I'll definitely be giving some of these a try! :)