My Projects, Wolfie.

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Wolfe85

My Projects, Wolfie.

Post by Wolfe85 »

Hi all,

I think I have got this to work now, so here is a picture of my current long term project, its been a few years in the making.

I purchased the kit on ebay and I'd love to share my progress as it develops.

I look forward to comments and tips, hope you enjoy the work.

Ill also put up some of my smaller on the go projects as they develop.

Best Regards,

Wolfie
Last edited by Wolfe85 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardandtracy

Re: My Long Term Project, 32count wolf.

Post by richardandtracy »

That is looking really good.
I like the way you've done one or two colours over a large area and then done a single page completely. The large area gives an idea of the general picture and the completed area acting as a 'promise' for the future. Nice & effective way of keeping the motivation going.

I look forward to seeing this as it progresses.

Just one question, is that 32 count over 1 or 2 (when skipping one hole, it's equivalent to 16 count)? I have only done one picture on 32ct fabric (A Luis Royo sketch - http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=25792) and found the fabric quite difficult initially. That's why I'm now using 28ct as it's slightly larger to get the threads through.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Hi Richard,

I am using single thread and it is 32 count over 1, so is a full 32count. It is challenging to be sure working on such a fine scale.

I use size 28 gold plated needles, which have made it much easier working through the fabric.

Thank you for your kind words about how ive worked two/three colours over a large area, it does as you say give a nice idea of what is to come. I initially started by working the one section to completion, but then perhaps my impatience took over and I wanted to see more of the picture develop. So I spread out more. I have found that this has indeed boosted my interest and drive to work on this project.

I have a tendency to jump between several projects at a time, but this is certainly my long term project. I am currently working on some dimensions kits so I will look forward to sharing my progress on them too.

In the meantime ill continue to update this one as it develops, :D though I dont have any timescale in mind for it, so it may be a few years before I finish.

Wolfie
fccs

Post by fccs »

This is going to be beautiful! I'm so looking forward to seeing more of him. Beautiful work!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Thankyou Debby, I am looking forward to adding more bits up as I work on them, I think the S.A.L. will help me to keep focused and work through my projects better.

Below is what im working on tonight, its one of my traveling projects I can take out with me. A dimensions kit of a geisha, I have quite a few different ones from this set.

Hope you all like :)

Wolfie
fccs

Post by fccs »

Wow, the Geisha is going to be pretty. She's so delicate. Dimensions makes beautiful kits - they drive me crazy with all the two and three strands and blended needles, but boy, the effect is worth it.

I always take two or three small projects with me when I travel. I don't always get much done but it's nice knowing they are there if I have the time for them.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Aye, it is good to have something to work on and keep hands busy as it were.

I find cross stitch very relaxing and as im doing them im so focused the world kinda disolves away and all I have to think about is getting the stitches in the right place. :D

Ive got a samurai from the same series, to do next once this ones complete. They will look good all together I think. :wink:

Wolfie
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I like that wolf!!
I can see his 'shadow' from the black stitches you've done and then the detail emerging from the lower corner...good way of getting the feel of the design! :applesauce:
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

The wolf is going to be outstanding when completed. You are doing well with this. Look forward to seeing it again soon :applesauce: :applesauce:

This geisha is beautiful & so is her sister Dimensions one. I stitched the other one for a gift years ago but loved it & have always intended to do it for our home. I started this deeper blue on several months ago but I picked up the wrong blue & didn't realise for a while so gave up :x Again, I intend to do a fresh one at another time. I tried to do this geisha halfway through Pleasant Row Cottages, but having 2 on the go did not work out for me. That was the first time I had tried it so did learn something! Have just received the 2 geisha kits again. Not put my latest purchases on here yet will do that another time.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Hi Izzi,

Any chance it was this geisha you stitched for your friend?

It was one of my first 18count kits I finished quite a few years back, it proved quite a challenge for me at the time and was not one of my neatest bits of work.
I recently acquired the one im working on, the samarai and the larger kit with two geisha's on. Looking forward to working through them all.

The one below of the wolves which I was a kit my mother in law brought back from Canada whilst visiting. Being a littke obsessed with wolves I enjoyed working on that one.

Cheers

Wolfie
richardandtracy

That last little wolf picture is great. Nice of your MIL to think of you while out there.

Brings back memories of a holiday I took in 1987. Bought a motorcycle in Vancouver, rode to Fairbanks in Alaska and then across the prairies to Toronto over a period of 2 months. At Beaver Creek on the Canadian side of the Alaska border I camped overnight and while reading at 11pm in the soft dusk light I can remember hearing a wild wolf howl. It was joined within moments by two more from its pack. Then in reply another pack on the other side of me howled. It was fantastic to hear, but there was no way I could stop the hairs on the back of my neck from lifting. Never heard a lonelier sound in my life.

Regards,

Richard
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Awesome project!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Such lovely work :applesauce: :applesauce:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Love this one, and your other stitches, wow!
poppy

Post by poppy »

I love your projects. All quite intricate.
richardandtracy wrote:I like the way you've done one or two colours over a large area and then done a single page completely. The large area gives an idea of the general picture and the completed area acting as a 'promise' for the future. Nice & effective way of keeping the motivation going
Exactly what I thought!

One question about your first picture (the wolf lying down) : As you do not grid, was it quite tricky to stitch the surround stitches? (It must be quite difficult to count on a fine fabric). I always "relate" one stitch to another to identify my position but also rely on a grid as a guarantee that I am at the correct place.

The wolves from Canada are wonderful and the frame ideal for the picture.
richardandtracy wrote:It was fantastic to hear, but there was no way I could stop the hairs on the back of my neck from lifting. Never heard a lonelier sound in my life.

And you were just under a tent!!!! You are very brave> :shock:
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

poppy wrote:One question about your first picture (the wolf lying down) : As you do not grid, was it quite tricky to stitch the surround stitches? (It must be quite difficult to count on a fine fabric). I always "relate" one stitch to another to identify my position but also rely on a grid as a guarantee that I am at the correct place.
To be honest I cant recall exactly how I centred it as its been a few years, but my wife who seems to have an eidetic memory recalls I counted them out individually then put some centre lines in and then started stitching from centre point out and just relate one stitch to the other.
It possibly isnt the easiest way to work, as you say it can be easy to loose position and occasionally I have stitched it the wrong place and had to correct the error. Maybe its just me but I do like the extra challenge.
poppy wrote:The wolves from Canada are wonderful and the frame ideal for the picture.
This was just a cheap plastic frame from the pound shop I found but I did like the styling on it. The glass that was in it did get cracked sadly when I moved so I removed the glass but it sits in it well enough. So I am fairly pleased.
richardandtracy wrote: At Beaver Creek on the Canadian side of the Alaska border I camped overnight and while reading at 11pm in the soft dusk light I can remember hearing a wild wolf howl. It was joined within moments by two more from its pack. Then in reply another pack on the other side of me howled. It was fantastic to hear, but there was no way I could stop the hairs on the back of my neck from lifting.
Wow, now that is something I would have loved to hear. The whole trip sounds pretty amazing, perhaps someday ill do something like it or at least visit Canada. I have an Aunt who lives out there, I would love to visit it.

Wolfie :puppy:
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Beautiful stitching Wolfie, love those Geisha ones but have yet to do one. I did do a series of Chinese symbols once for a student to take home to his mum - I used to home stay international students.

The one of the 2 wolves is magnificent - they look so life like. Well done with all your stitching.

Richard - that was scary but wonderful hearing those wolves.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Wolfe85

Post by Wolfe85 »

Thank you Squirrel :D

Here is todays progress on the Geisha, really happy with how its coming along :whoop:

Wolfie :puppy:
Last edited by Wolfe85 on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardandtracy

Must admit it was a fantastic experience, not the slightest bit scary. Wolves in Canada seem to avoid people where possible. My biggest concern in my 2 months in Canada was Bears, and at several campsites I had to suspend my food on gantrys to put it out of their reach. Being strong and fairly brave when hungry, bears will come through the side of tents.

Regards

Richard.
richardandtracy

Ah-ha an update while I was typing.

Looking really good, and fast progress.

Regards

Richard.