2017 Stash & Grab

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Granny Weatherwax

Re: 2017 Stash & Grab

Post by Granny Weatherwax »

I sent you a pm.
Take care, maartje.
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

You should see a doctor- neuropathologist and he will prescribe some treatment. Anyway, hot baths/showers/patches should be out of the question as they only make the problem worse. Get well soon!
Lyudmila
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

There's a cool space in St Cross Stitchers with your name on the door! :bandaid:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I don't have any quick fixes. Not sure if cold or warm towels are supposed to help. What does the doctor suggest? Have you seen the doctor?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

I did for the first round. I got a pain reliever injection of something I couldn't possibly spell, and the prescriptions for some Ibuprofen and Methocarbamol horse pills. And a refill on Cyclobenzaprine that I had previously in the past. So basically, Methocarbamol is a "light muscle relaxant" at 750mg and it honestly doesn't make a noticeable dent. Bonus points, I don't get drowsy using it, so I can use it at work. It maybe takes the edge off when combined with the 600mg Ibuprofen. These pills are at least the size of one joint on my finger.

Cyclobenzaprine is more powerful at only 10mg, it takes 2 hours or so to work, and proceeds to knock me out for 12 hours. It's 100% out of the question to use the night before work, even if I have a closing shift at 12:30pm-9:30pm, because I can barely drive anyways when I wake up (super groggy).

My marching orders were a little contradictory actually. First doctor at the clinic said get off my feet asap and I absolutely couldn't work for 3 days and it'd be better if it was 2 weeks. Oh and I could start the list of stretches whenever. Second doctor at the clinic was horrified the first told me to stretch whenever, and gave me the Cyclobenzaprine which I've had for muscle spasms in my chest before in the last few years. I was told hot before stretching, and cold after stretching was okay. And hot/cold patches were okay too. It seems there's no clear-cut way around it anyways.

So today was better than yesterday, it was still pins and needles in both hips, but after a few hours it passed. Still stiff, but not as painful as yesterday. I have a feeling it'll come and go every few weeks. According to one Nurse, it can take up to 3 weeks to get over sciatica completely, under perfect conditions, to which I'm resigned to probably having a long-term issue with it. I can't afford to just take 3 weeks off, nor can I with black-out dates coming up. This week especially is (again) the worst week to get sciatica. First time was literally when we had 3 people running the store on a normal 6 staff store and this time we have our all-day diamond party which is (for me) a 12 hour shift. At least I get the day after off.

Sorry if I seem angry about it, I'm trying really hard to keep a good attitude about it. It's really discouraging right when I'm in the middle of feeling very unhappy with my job, then another thing kinda helps me be more unhappy with it, and I love jewelry, I really do. I'm just feeling so very tired about all of it. Emotionally, and physically. I'm pretty sure I can handle another Christmas in retail, but I don't very much want to.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:wine: on me today!!
I'm in the Far corner in that leather chair, bottle opened! :toast:

Come in and join me!! 8)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

*clink* Here's another bottle to keep us all going. :toast: And I'll put a few more logs on the fire. *pulls up the other leather armchair and curls up*
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

In case you want a warm drink to keep the chill off, Irish Coffees are available and my most favorite winter drink. With real whip cream topping it off. It not only warms the body, it warms the soul too. Very good when it is consumed with your favorite cheese and bread or crackers snack or dessert. Fresh hot bread is also available on request. That all being said, I am pulling up a chair on the other side of you. This is too cozy and comfy to not take advantage of good food, drink and friends.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Just made gingerbread men complete with Real Cinnamon Imperials for buttons, imported from the US. In your honour. :king: *takes empty bottle off table and puts down plate of cookies*
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've brought Saint Nicholas goodies - spiced biscuits filled with almond paste, chocolate letters, sugar hearts (but they shed all their calories the moment they enter the Stash & Grab)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

No calories eh, Mabel?

Not only perfect but so tasty!!

I feel better already!! :dance: and those gingerbread men!! :wub:

Aren't we having a good time! :wink:
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Sounds like a good get together :D Mind if I join you. Brought almond biscuits & cheese straws I made earlier to go with other food already here. Also a bottle of Advocaat & some Schnapps to add to alcoholic consumption especially as it is non hangover place. Cheers, hic everybody hic. Pre-season get togethers sure are great. :wine: :snowman:
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

I'll stare longingly while I drink my ice water and eat organic hard boiled eggs. I'm not allowed to have coke and other unhealthy stuff right now. I'll totally help decorate!
Last edited by CuriousKitty on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Perhaps best not to fantasise about things you can't currently enjoy, even in the safety of the Stash & Grab. Very wise. But help in decorating is always most welcome! And money for said decorations is never an object (see aforementioned fantasy...) :P
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Will all the decorations be stitched?

I sometimes imagine the Stash & Grab as a big knitted building, like this one created by the Braintree WI (only a pub not a church, of course):

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

That's some dedication shown there!
8) Wow!

I often think of the Stash and Grab as an old English Pub, with oak beams and inglenook fire. Cosy settles and old oak chairs, but with a bright and friendly air by a lake with tables outside for summer use shaded by an old oak tree....well of course it can't be far from a lake because we have a (virtual) tree house overlooking it don't we?

Ah but we can all dream can't we! :dance:
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

That is amazing Mabel. I can't imagine knitting those tiny people, font etc. How wonderful of the ladies to make it.

I think of Stash & Grab as old with lovely cosy atmosphere, highly polished old wooden settles as well as chairs & stools. Old wooden tables too. Outside spacious covered area to stop summer drizzle spoiling drinks & to keep hot sun off. A large lake, wonderful perfumed gardens, & several green areas for walks. More like a country club I think with just cross stitchers belonging to it :D
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Yes!!! And the walls are covered with beautifully framed stitched pieces. Lots of crocheted and knitted afghans to keep us warm in winter too when curled up near the fireplace. In spring and summer the breeze that blows through the lace curtained windows also has the sweet scent of flowers.

Carole
:D
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

This is lovely and cosy in here! Have made myself a hot chocolate as I definitely need heating up! Anyone else want one? I opened my Alisa kit of the cute Red Squirrel and started it :roll: Included was a lovely gold-tipped needle (not sure of the make) but it's the best needle I've ever used! It flows through the aida so smoothly and it's just lovely to work with :dance:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Happy St Andrews Day to all. It's an open bar, and those of you who would like to taste either of our national drinks (whisky or Irn Bru!) will notice that every sort of Uisge Beatha is available for you to try. I promise not to turn green if you add ice or water (or both), as I have piped in water from my local distillery, so it's all good. Shortbread and tea also available in the treehouse, but it is a bit chilly... :cold:

A special place for WW is also reserved.