Male stitcher - hidden in the closet

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

TGchrissie

Male stitcher - hidden in the closet

Post by TGchrissie »

Hi everyone

As a new member, I am intrigued to find out if there are any other men out there who "stitch in the closet" so to speak, as I do. I really would like to know if others, like me, who really love needlecraft in general, feel forced to follow their hobby in lonely seclusion. Personally, I took up cross stitch as a result of a bereavement, and I found it very therapeutic, especially as the results for somebody who loves art , but sadly is not very good, were amazing. I have loved it ever since, but have faced a range of reactions, mostly negative, from those I have chosen to tell, and not all of them have been men.

The funniest response I had was to question my sexuality-what has that got to do with stitching :D

Anyway, nice to see there are lots of fellow stitchers here and hope to speak to some of you in the future

Kris
rcperryls

Re: Male stitcher - hidden in the closet

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello Kris and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! You are absolutely not our only male stitcher. We have several who are very active and do some beautiful work. I can't begin to imagine any of them stitching "in the closet". I'm glad that stitching has helped you through a difficult time. I find, and know that quite a few of members also do, that stitching can be very therepeutic. I am so glad that you found us and hope that you will stay with us. I'm sure the guys will be happy to have another man around.

What types of projects do you like to stitch? I hope that you will post pictures so that we can admire them. Looking forward to seeing them and getting to know you.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
TGchrissie

Post by TGchrissie »

Hi Carole

It is good to hear there are other male stitchers here. I like to make personal projects and when I can work out how to show some of them on here, I will happily share my work so far.

I have enjoyed my initial look round the site and hope to engage with others as I go and hope to be here for some time

Take care

Kris
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome from the West of Scotland! :wave:

Well, I'd be fair scunnered to have that reaction to my stitching, so I'm sorry that other needleworkers have been less than tolerant. Phooey upon them, I say! I grew up in the US, when the football player Rosie Greer had taken up needlepoint to while away hours in the team bus. I doubt anyone laughed at Mr Roosevelt Greer! As for questioning his sexuality... :shock: :doh:

I'm glad you found us. We are an equal-opportunity stitching community, so you'd better just come out of that closet cuz the light's rotten. :wip:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome from me in SW France. :wave:
My hubby would rather plait barbed wire than stich......but he loves what I do and encourages me to do more.
There's a few men here who stitch as has been said......and one in particular who will be welcoming you very soon. :D
So sit back and stitch in comfort. Only Harry Potter made a success of living in the cupboard @rotfl:
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Nice to meet you and definitely there are other male stitchers around. You may want to check out Mr Xstitch's blog for a strong male stitching presence online to show people there are other men who stitch in the open. :)

Although this is a different hobby and perhaps even more "feminine", Jacques Plante, one of the toughest goalies in the 6 team NHL used to knit his own hats and underwear. Check this article.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

poppy

Post by poppy »

Glad you decided to join us. :)
Hello and Welcome!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi Kris and Welcome to the Forum, so glad you have joined us. I am looking forward to seeing your work on here soon.:)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kevona

Post by kevona »

Welcome kris
Donna

Pull up a chair and grab a :tea:
http://kevonacrafts.blogspot.co.uk" target="_blank
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Hi Kris,

Fellow bloke here. Wouldn't say I'm in the closet, so to speak.
Took up stitching in 2011 because it was below freezing in my workshop, and turning pens like that is horrible and leads to lots of broken bits because the plastic goes brittle. I wanted something I could do in the warm, with the family, preferably with a hot cat on my lap. Cross stitch seemed simple and could do pictures.
I will say, my pictures tend not toward the 'twee-cute' end of the spectrum, and because there are few charted images I like, I wrote some software to take the graft out of charting pictures by hand. The results have been reasonable since doing that.

Look forward to seeing your work.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Hello and welcome :wave: I'm sorry to hear you feel you have to hide your hobby. There are plenty of other men who cross stitch so you certainly don't have to hide your love of stitching here. We look forward to seeing your work :)
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
lavenderbees

Post by lavenderbees »

Hello & welcome from North Wales. How wonderful to have a husband like you. Hope we can see some of your wife's work later on :D
Lavender

stitching is beewitching
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Hello Kris and welcome to the forum :wave:

None of my friends cross stitch, not all of my friends know I do it but the one's that do don't 'get' my hobby!
My Grandfather used to cross stitch and my daughter does too when she has time, I love doing it I find it very relaxing and you have something nice to admire when you've finished.

Sharing our enthusiasm for cross stitch and other hobbies with like minded people is what makes this forum such a great place to come to and long may we all enjoy each other's work. :)
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
fccs

Post by fccs »

Hello from Colorado and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us. People are sometimes crazy rude. Cross stitching, I'm pretty sure, doesn't define or explain one's sexuality. I have a friend who took up crochet when she was in her 40's and another friend asked her why she was doing "old lady stuff." Oh my goodness!

I'm looking forward to seeing your work and getting to know you.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
TGchrissie

Post by TGchrissie »

Thank you all for your welcomes and encouragement. It is very reassuring to have found so many like minded people. I am still trying to work out how to share some of my work, and how to look at others. It appears I have to write several more posts before I can access the members gallery. I look forward to speaking to more of you as time goes by :whoop:

Kris
sina28

Post by sina28 »

Hello Kris and welcome from Germany! :D
How sad that you feel like you have to "hide" with your stitching. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of encouragement here on the forum free of any judgment. My boyfriend likes to crochet but also does not really tell anyone, as it's considered not to be "manly enough". :neutral:
Sina