Threads

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

motherof4

Threads

Post by motherof4 »

How do you stitchers store your wips to keep your parked threads straight, and how long is your thread. When I get my wip out my parked threads are all kinky and curly.
BizzieLizzie

Re: Threads

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I just let 'em hang! I lean the scroll frames against the side of the sofa where I stitch with the 'good' side facing the sofa and a cloth draped over them to keep the dust off (I've turned them round in the picture so you can see the threads). When I start stitching, I just comb my fingers through the threads to straighten them out a bit. Works for me.

To cut a new piece of thread, I hold the end of the thread in my hand and let the bobbin dangle down to my elbow, so the length is half an arm. To do blends, I hold the ends of both colours at the same time and dangle the bobbins next to each other to get the two threads the same length.

Hope that all makes sense. It's early morning and I haven't had my :coffee:.
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

Thank you BizzieLizzie :)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I let them hang or if they're long, I'll loop them in a loose coil and put then between two magnets to keep them from tangling. If the parked threads are in a section that I won't be stitching in for a while, I'll wrap the threads around a bobbin and stick a magnet on them to keep them tidy. When I get to that section, if the threads are kinky from being wound around the bobbin, I wet my fingers and run the thread between my fingers to straighten them. I drape a pillow case over the frame to keep the work clean while I'm not working on it. On regular cotton floss, I usually run 18-inch lengths. On eight-yard skeins, 18 inches comes out evenly so there aren't any short pieces at the end of the skein. That and I'm usually running blended colors, so cutting everything 18 inches means no matter which colors I need to pair up, the lengths will be the same.

WIP
motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

Thank you Allyn
motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

Thank you Allyn