Pleasant Row Cottages - Update 12th MArch

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

kingfisher68(2)

Re: Pleasant Row Cottages - Update 12th MArch

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Thank you for suggesting French knots Poppy, it is kind of you. There are supposed to be lots of French knots on greenery around the middle cottage door, also on mauve flowers & the greenery up the wall of the right hand cottage. When I did them to me it made the picture look lumpy & I wasn't happy with what I'd done so undid them & used ordinary stitches! I am doing this on 14 hpi Aida & the chart was for linen but maybe it's just me & the way I see it :lol:

Always glad of suggestions though Poppy :D

Will hang this on the lightest of our lounge walls as our hall is too dark. We face west & get good light afternoons & evenings :)
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Can I move into one of those wonderful cottages when all the construction (stitching) is done? It is so lovely and I really think the inside of the cottages must be quaint and cozy! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

kingfisher68(2) wrote:Will hang this on the lightest of our lounge walls as our hall is too dark. We face west & get good light afternoons & evenings
It will be so calming to see this lovely row of cottages and flowers, as you sit down in the lounge. Lovely project! :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

and here it is - how lovely it looks and you have made great progress with it. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Such a pretty project! Looking forward to seeing what you will do with the roses.

By the way, to change the date go into the first post of the thread, and edit its title - that will change the title of the thread.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kingfisher68(2)

Thank you all for your lovely comments. I did wonder if it was possible to get previous name back but I am not good with PC things, just know the things I use.

Thank for the advice Mabel, that is how I have changed date on first heading before, but this time although I can add a post I am unable to change anything on the first post like I could before. The symbols on top right hand corner of the first post shows just 2 - the diamond with 'x' in it for reporting a post & the other one is the quote marks. It does show how good the security is on here though - as I am not kingfisher68 any more but kingfisher68(2) I cannot alter previous posts.

Now I am almost at the very top of the lane I am wondering where it leads to? Does it lead to a wooden stile & onto a footpath along the side of a field with bluebell woods on the left, through a few small fields leading to a duck pond, eventually meeting up with the trees which you can see behind the cottages? Or, does the lane lead directly to a duck pond with ducks, coots & moorhens in the reeds? If only I could find out! :lol:
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

It leads wherever your imagination would like it to lead!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Wonderful update and so close to a finish I'm really looking forward to seeing the finish, this is definitely somewhere I could imagine living :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
kingfisher68(2)

Wise words Mabel. Thank you Lulu. Am getting towards the end now & I must say I have even more admiration for those members who do HEADs that take over a year. No wonder you need to switch from one to another to ease things . Chapeau to you all :D

I think next time I stitch a large project I will make some cards halfway through to have a break. I know it did not sit right with me to have 2 projects on the go which needed a lot of concentration but after seeing Sally Squirrel's batch of cards the other week I think that is a good idea. Thanks for the inspiration Sally :D
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Each and every update has me wanting to visit this little row of cottages more and more. The spring flowers have finally started blooming here the last week. They reminded me of your project. I will be anxiously awaiting your next update to see what now flowers have started to bloom by your cottages.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
kingfisher68(2)

Thank you Always Goofy. Funnily enough after saying I did not like the French knots in the dark green & the blue/mauves on the cottages & undid them I have done some on the third cottage front garden flowers & they look fine. These are in yellow, on the light green half cross stitch part. Done with thread wrapped round 3 times but will try just 2 wraps when I do the other garden bit. I don't know why this lot is OK when I did not like the other 2 places they should have been. But, they did not add to the picture which I think French knots should do, they were just not decorative in my eyes & in fact I felt they detracted from the picture. Maybe it was because they are not bright colours, anyway the flowers up the wall look OK as they are so I will leave well alone. May try the roses in Fr. knots now though as they are bright red & golden yellow & will be done last of all.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
kingfisher68(2)

Pleasant Row Cottages FINISHED 8TH MAY

My interpretation of this chart finished last night

Decided to do French knots for flowers on middle & right hand cottages. Those on left are the right colour & in French knots as on the chart but the other red & yellow flowers should have been beads. Bright red & golden yellow.

I decided to stitch all red Fr. knots first & then decide what colour thread to use for yellow roses. Had originally thought of golden yellow but that didn't seem right once I'd done the red. Selected paler yellow than on left hand cottage & did all of them on r. hand cottage. Could not make up my mind for a bit what to do for middle cottage. I know they would if I had stuck with chart, been the some yellow but I felt cottage gardens would probably not have the same yellow shades - then a :idea: occurred & I have done middle cottage yellow roses with one strand of each of yellows of others. So they all have different yellow roses but the same red. I had decided on what I call geranium red from the outset but it was the yellows I couldn't decide on, so left until the last moment.

Also on original chart the very dark green, almost black, on middle & r. hand cottages were supposed to be Fr. knots as were mauve & blue on r. hand cottage. Glad I did not do them though. If someone else did it to the original chart I am sure it would look great but for me I did not want all those beads on the particular picture as I said on an earlier post. Although not all Fr. knots are good I have done my best & am pleased with this as not done anything larger than 9x7 before - this is 14x10.

Thank you all for your lovely comments throughout my working on this & also for the encouragement given. I feel kind of sad that this has come to an end. I started on 13th November & although almost 6 months to the day I did 3 weeks on geisha which went wrong, so have in fact done 5 months stitching. This has been my companion in the evenings for the last 6 months but it does not feel like half a year ago I started it.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:whoop: :whoop: Wonderful! :applesauce: :applesauce:

There are always mixed feelings when a piece is finished, but this one has been a triumph! :dance:

I'm sure I can see a removals van in the distance there....full of Magic Benches, and cross stitch paraphernalia. All ready for the CSF to move Right In! :whoop:
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

Stunning finish. Let us know when we can move in. :d
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

This is such a beautiful finish. Whenever you posted updates, I always felt that those cottages had a very peaceful and welcoming feel to them. It's funny how works of art can bring such feelings to a person. I'll miss seeing these updates. Thank you for sharing so much of your progress along the way.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Purple Patsy wrote:Stunning finish. Let us know when we can move in. :d
My feelings exactly!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

They look so real and with all the roses now done it is a wonderful reproduction of many of the old cottages I saw in my travels in Devon many years ago. Thanks for the memories. A HUGE WELL DONE on a BEAUTIFULLY STITCHED gorgeous reproduction of old cottages. I would love to move in right now. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kingfisher68(2)

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments. Am keeping this short as I had accident & knocked laptop off bedside cabinet & though it dropped on soft cushions it fell at an angle, back left hand side where cable plugs in must have hit it first & broke art of main keyboard. Monitor fits if in right place but I can see battery is not charging. Will need to go & get another one as I'd be lost without it. Good thing sales are on at the moment. So will post this & will be back in a few days . Thankfully over the years I changed tfrom desktop to laptop have not done this before. So annoyed iwith myself. but that'slife.

Only thing is I'll have to get to grips with Windows 10. :x Managed to avoid that so far but will have to persevere. Tried free go on their Anniversary Widows 10 but went back to 8. Wold be grateful of any tips on using W 10.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
poppy

Post by poppy »

So sorry about your computer disaster. I hope someone can help you on the subject. :thinks:

This is my favourite picture. It is truly beautiful and inspiring.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Beautiful finish!!
So sorry about the laptop! My son recently got a new PC with windows 10 and he hasn't had any problems with it. He did have the place that sold of to him do a bit of fine tuning, like remove unnecessary program s, etc. He also adjusted the privacy settings. I hope you won't have any problems when you do replace it
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs