Thread length

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

motherof4

Thread length

Post by motherof4 »

How long is the thread that you all work with ?
When I look at posts where parking has been done it always looks like there is a whole lot of thread.
kingfisher68

Re: Thread length

Post by kingfisher68 »

I usually have about 12 inches although I've read on some help pages you can use up to 18 inches. I find if I use threads that long they often knot so I keep to 12/14 inches.
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mine are about 16 to 18 inches I think when I start. I save the thread if it isn't too short (depends on my mood) to use again later when needed. I think that is a habit I picked up from decades ago when I did stitch from kits and invariably ran out of thread. Especially when I did crewel work. I don't do kits now so if I run out of thread I can only blame myself :oops:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I don't use the parking method but I cut my thread to about 24 inches and use the loop method so it halves it to 12. I use shorter lengths when backstitching :)
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I usually stitch with about 18 inch lengths of floss
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I use 4 skein lengths. That's what, 18"? Any longer than that & I get too much wear on the thread.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
poppy

Post by poppy »

I use a 12" thread. It seems to work well for me. I don't use the parking method, though!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I use an 18" ruler to wrap my thread as I cut a new skein - so 18". I've never been able to pull 1 or 2 threads for just so many inches and leave the bulk of the skein intact - I always ended up with a knotted mess. (Hence the ruler and cutting an entire skein.) I don't park but I keep a needle threaded with each symbol ready to go. That way if there is any length longer than 2 inches or so left, I put that needle back in the slot and move on to the next color. If I'm using metallics, it will be much shorter - 8" at most. It really doesn't matter - you just have to find that magical length that doesn't start out so long that you're poking the family member (or cat) sitting next to you or so short that you're aggravated at how often you have to reload the needle. It's a conundrum. (I think I spelled that right……) Happy Stitching.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

As long as I can get away without the thread fraying -- so usually 12" to 18" for cotton floss -- unless if I'm working on aida or I'm not using a smooth-eye needle, both of which can really fray the thread quickly. In that case I use shorter lengths.

I park. If the needle is unthreaded, that can be up to 15" or 16" hanging down if I start a new symbol and just stitch a couple of stitches before the strand is parked. I leave the needles threaded while I'm working so there isn't anything hanging down, but when I finish that stitching session, I unthread the needles.

WIP
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

It "depends" the "size" of my projects and I use the "loop" method.
For my Baby and Wedding Remembrances, mostly 5" x 7" or 8" x 10", I "gently pull" to the "tugs" of 3 or 4. 3 "tugs" gives me 36" divided by 2 =18", 4 gives me 48" divided by 2=24". For my In Loving Memory Remembrances, 11" x 14", 5 paragraph poem, I do 4 "tugs" to give me 48"" divided by 2=24" depending "how long" the sentence is, in the "writing"sentence, by using the "skip" method of stitching. Skip "every other" stitch on the way" to" the "end " and on the "return" fill in the skipped stitches.
You can visit my website, in my profile, to see my " writing sentences instructions" of doing the, In Loving Memory Remembrances.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :D :whoop: :applesauce: :wave:
agi

Post by agi »

I don't measure, just eyeball it, but reading this thread I got curious. I took out a bobbin I recently used and I knew I wound a few strands back on it. They were 40 inches long, and I use the loop method, so I start with a 20 inch long thread. I think I might have worked with even longer ones.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I don't know, I just pull the thread from the skein.... I'd estimate about the same as others here, maybe 18"? Somewhere between 12-18" I'll say.
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
CindyW

Post by CindyW »

I use the LoRan thread organization system, so when I buy a skein of thread I immediately cut it and put it into my notebook. I use my metal guide sheet to wrap my thread, so the threads are a consistant 22" in length. I know some folks have problems with tangling, but I find if I drop my thread every 10 stitches or so this problem is minimized.
WIP
*Babies Won't Keep Sampler (for first grandbaby!)
*Joy of Giving (Charles Ross Christmas stocking)

2018 Completed Projects
*A to Z Wedding Sampler

Always crocheting and sewing!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Too long :lol:

I usually start a project with ridiculously long threads because I don't like fastening on and off; then as I work on the project, and depending on the type of thread (stranded cotton, perle, silk, metallics) I go shorter if I have to. My perle threads tend to be about 90cm.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page