Could they be 100 years old?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

poppy

Could they be 100 years old?

Post by poppy »

I went to an Easter fair on Sunday. I found three boxes full of skeins. They look like Anchor threads. The lady, who was selling them was in her sixties. She told me that she found them in the loft and that the boxes used to belong to her grandmother.
Here is a photo of one of the boxes. Could it be 100 years old?

Last edited by poppy on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Podolyanka

Re: Could they be 100 years old?

Post by Podolyanka »

Why not? We know clothes can be hundreds years old. I think threads could have sat in the loft for 100 years happilly, especially as they had never been used and washed. Of course, if they are really that old, I would not stitch with them as they will hardly last for another century.
:thinks:
Lyudmila
Lyudmila
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Could be. I found this interesting site Sewalot which has a brief but very interesting history of sewing machines, needles and threads. I just scanned through the pages but bookmarked it so I can read it in more detail when I have more time. Looks like Coats started around 1870, so , if I read it right (even though hastily) I guess 100 yrs is possible!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I can remember seeing threads in those boxes during the 1940's when I went into the city with my Grandma. She always rushed into the city when she heard there was a shipment of threads just in from the UK - it was during WW11 and supplies didn't come in very often. :D

I still have some of her threads and use them as needed and they are still as easy to handle as new threads from my local shop so go ahead and use them.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Carole,

Thank you very much for the link to the threads' history. Enjoyed it to bits.

Lyudmila
Lyudmila
poppy

Post by poppy »

rcperryls wrote: I found this interesting site Sewalot which has a brief but very interesting history of sewing machines, needles and threads.
Indeed very interesting, thank you for the link, rcperryls.
Squirrel wrote:I can remember seeing threads in those boxes during the 1940's when I went into the city with my Grandma. She always rushed into the city when she heard there was a shipment of threads just in from the UK - it was during WW11 and supplies didn't come in very often. :D

I still have some of her threads and use them as needed and they are still as easy to handle as new threads from my local shop so go ahead and use them.
That is amazing! I tend to forget how easy our life is now compare to then. It is very special to stitch with these threads, holding an history. :)
I shall use them, certainly. Thank you.
Did your Grandma sew or did embroidery?

What surprises me is that the lady must have bought a whole box of each colour. I usually buy only one skein at a time
Hélène

DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I wonder if she bought it by the box because she quilted with it? A lot of the old whole cloth or medallion quilts were done with one color thread on a solid piece of fabric. How fun to be able to sew with thread like that. I hope it's in good enough shape to use. Happy Stitching!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Helene, it was not unusual to buy threads by the box, especially if you did a lot of embroidery. Yes my Grandma did a lot of embroidery - which she called fancy work - and also crocheted around the edges and made dressing table sets with crochet too. She taught me very well as a child.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I wonder if you contacted Coats & Clark or Anchor media people online and explained and asked if they would like a photo, they might be able to tell you more. Labels change over time, as do instructions, colour numbers, etc., and I bet they could place your box of threads within a decade or two of manufacture. :idea:
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I think this is amazing! Not only have you picked up a real bargain, but an essential part of Stitching History.

8) :dance:
poppy

Post by poppy »

Serinde wrote:I wonder if you contacted Coats & Clark or Anchor media people online and explained and asked if they would like a photo, they might be able to tell you more.
Thank you. :) I just e-mailed them. See what they will say...
Squirrel wrote: which she called fancy work - and also crocheted around the edges and made dressing table sets with crochet too. She taught me very well as a child.
Fancy work! That's a lovely way of describing it :)
In those days, they did not have washing machines or any of our practical electrical goods to help with the house but they still made time for craft. May be, the pace of life was different...
How wonderful that she was able to teach you. I bet that you often think of her and what she would have said about your craft work :)
My grandma had a business ( a crazy golf!) and I was SO bored during the summer holidays that the waitress, called Monique, taught me to knit when I was 7. I often think of her.
Hélène