Kreinik vs. Madeira

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

starshine123102

Kreinik vs. Madeira

Post by starshine123102 »

I am gathering supplies to work on the Christmas House chart from "101 Best Loved Designs from Cross Stitch and Country Crafts" that I know many of you have worked on. I have worked with some of the glow in the dark Kreinik before (and wasn't super fond of it), but have not really used the metallics for either company. Any advice from those that have used them would be appreciated, especially those who have done this chart before.

I have been trying to do this chart for years and have just finally thought to check eBay for the Dublin fabric that is calls for in platinum. I've looked everywhere I can think of and could never find it, so I always put this piece on the back burner. While I'm in the Christmas Spirit, I figured it was time to make this one happen!
Michelle
:ratherbe:

2016 FINISHES:
All Hallows Eve (Glendon Place)
Delightful Fruits - Grapes (CSN 3/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Apples
Delightful Fruits - Berries (CSN 5/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Pears

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
Serinde

Re: Kreinik vs. Madeira

Post by Serinde »

I use Kreinik all the time and have no problem with it. Lots of folk here prefer Rainbow Gallery's Treasure Braid in various sizes.

Zweigart platinum is available at 123stitch.com in 32ct and 28ct (and perhaps others, too). http://www.123stitch.com/item/Zweigart- ... /123-2061Z" target="_blank
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I also use Kreinik, both braid and blending filaments and haven't had any problems with either. I tend to prefer the blending filament with regular floss to the braid because I like the subtle bling it has (which rarely shows up in a photo, unfortunately). I've also used Rainbow Gallery's Treasure Braid and have liked it also. I steer clear of DMC metalics as I think they are not the best to stitch with.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I've been using Kreinik since it was called Balger years and years ago and have never found it too terribly difficult to work with. I use shorter lengths and tuck it under more stitches than I normally would to make sure it holds well. Also, if the pattern requires 2 strands and they are being particularly knotty or it's a small needle, I'll use one strand and go over the same stitch twice. I've never been able to find the Rainbow Treasure Gallery threads locally and since I've not had much difficulty with the Kreinik I've just stuck with what I've always used. I'm with most everyone else in that the DMC metallics are the worst ones I've worked with. That being said, the quality of all of the metallics have gotten better since the "good ole days" - you know, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and dirt was new. If anyone remembers doing the Mar-Bek (sp?) Angels with the super fraying metallics from the early 80s give a shout out.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I definitely prefer kreinik over Madeira, but really love the Rainbow Treasure Gallery
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Piggy Browne

Post by Piggy Browne »

I've just come across a pattern which suggests Kreinik thread. I'd not come across it before and wondered what it would be like to stitch with. Browse through the Forum whilst waiting in a queue I came across this thread, thank you for making my waiting a constructive and useful one :tizzy: