Rule-of-Thumb for using Beads:

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ecology665

Rule-of-Thumb for using Beads:

Post by ecology665 »

This is for you bead user's. What is the general 'Rule-of-Thumb' for using beads in a project that does not have beads. I want to use beads and bugle beads in some of my designs; however, I have a tendency to overdo stuff. :doh: I'm and trying to search for blogs and sites for using them. I keep getting the 'Mirabalia' designs. :idea:

Welcoming links to your sites and videos.

Thank You.
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Rule-of-Thumb for using Beads:

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

My only Rule of Thumb in cases like these is "do I like it?" If the answer is Yes, then there are the right number of beads and embellishments there :-).

Seriously, taste in beads and embellishments are as individual as taste in Christmas decorations - as I once read somewhere, for some people it isn't Christmas unless there is tinsel and coloured lights on everything in the house including the cat, for others two white baubles on an interestingly shaped branch are getting dangerously near to ostentation. Same with beads. Do what you like!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

We often get coloured lights on the cat. We just never actually put them on the cat, he helps himself while saying 'Oooh Shineee'.

I have to agree with Mabel, they are a very personal taste issue. If you like them, who is to gainsay you? If it's a gift, consider the recipient as well as your own taste.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

I invariably use beads where the pattern calls for french knots as I am useless at them! But having said that if you think beads will make something look better then by all means use them, it is down to personal taste, like everything else in cross stitch, there are no hard and fast rules to anything.
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Just as everyone says, beading on your work is really about personal preference. Many folks used beads in place of French knots. I do either depending on the pattern and my mood. Beads and tubes work well in florals and art deco. They come in such a variety of colors now that beads can be as sparkly or as subtle as you like. Get a spare piece of aida and play with the effects to see what you like.

As it happens I just finished 2 projects where I incorporated beads that were not called for in the original pattern. My daughter did the college internship program at Disney and came back with a piece of mat board with many of the character signatures. I had these old patterns and did both to see which would look best inside the mat. (We decided on the castle, in case you were wondering. And yes, back in the late 80s and early 90s, that is exactly what Cinderella's castle looked like. :wink: ) The castle called for French knots using either the gold or silver metallic threads. I decided to go with corresponding gold or silver beads as doing a French knot with metallic thread is always going to be a hit or miss proposition due the tendency of the metallics to fray. For the Sorcerer's Mickey, the original pattern was for simple cross stitches in both gold and silver. I didn't particularly care for the way that looked, but using gold and silver beads in place of each stitch was too much. I opted to do the gold cross stitches and the straight stitching with the gold thread as indicated on the pattern. But, for the silver cross stitches, I used a clear crystal bead on the silver metallic thread to give sparkle and depth.

Sorry they're still a little messy. I (obviously) haven't washed or blocked them yet. :oops:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: They are both beautiful. !!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Thanks Everyone for your advice. :D
Disneystitcher, lovely projects and beautiful stitching. :applesauce: Thank You for posting your projects. :wave: