A is for Ark birth sampler, 1st project for 1st grandchild

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Sarah5

A is for Ark birth sampler, 1st project for 1st grandchild

Post by Sarah5 »

I am a complete beginner but the prospect of a grandchild has inspired me to start this abc sampler. I am an avid knitter but as they live in Dubai there is not likely to be a great requirement for knitted stuff so I happened across this kit.

I have made a start with the boxes in the top right and have just finished the first letter square.

I am very pleased with it so far although it has taken a while to get the hang of it. And I think I am not making my crosses in the standard direction, judging by what I have read online.

I am being quite frugal with the thread ( it's a kit) as I don't want to run out but I wonder if it is necessary to use as much as possible of each piece or if I can afford to be a bit more wasteful. What is your experience of the quantity supplied with kits. It's quite fiddly trying to use up the last little bits. The thread is DMC brand so I suppose I can easily buy another skein if I do run out.

Sarah
Inkysloth

Re: A is for Ark birth sampler, 1st project for 1st grandchi

Post by Inkysloth »

Regarding the direction of crosses, it really doesn't matter whether the top cross goes left to right, or right to left! The neatest appearance is with a consistent direction - but I throw that out of the window sometimes, too, as I don't always like the flat-smooth texture that consistency brings.

And your work is looking great - you're making excellent progress :D
I lurk on Twitter & Instagram as @inkysloth
My print & calligraphy work is over at http://www.inkysloth.co.uk" target="_blank

WIPs
Geological map of the British Isles
Hand x-Ray
Ongoing string of small rainbow badges
Tessellating Escher-style lizard chair seat.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: That is going to be so lovely! It is one of the prettiest sampler designs that I have seen and it looks like you are making good progress!

There really isn't any right or wrong way to make a cross stitch. It depends on what you are most comfortable. The two main ways that I am aware of are to stitch the first leg of the cross across the page /////// (or some prefer \\\\\\\) and then go back in the other direction \\\\\\\ ( or ///////) to complete a full cross. Some stitchers make one full cross at a time XXXXXXX. The important thing is that all your stitches are made in the same direction so that the top leg of the stitch is consistent. Two really good resources with pictures and video tutorials are Mary Corbet's Needle 'N Thread and Scarlet Quince Solutions. Besides asking here of course.

I haven't used a kit in years so can't tell you about the amount of thread provided. If it is DMC thread and they have provided you with the thread number you shouldn't have any problem finding more. Kits are supposed to provide enough and I would guess most of the time they do.
I would only stitch with a strand that is long enough for you to feel comfortable stitching with and that leaves you with a long enough tail to secure it.

Hoping to see lots more updates!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

A great start. :applesauce: I agree with Carole. As long as the top leg of the x goes the same way , then you should stitch the way in which you're most comfortable.
One thing about kits, they usually provide enough and more to complete the design. If you run out or if you find anything missing, then a Good supplier will provide more. I had an issue where there should have been 3 lengths of a colour and there was only 1. They sent me 3 to be sure, to be sure as the Irish say! :lol: (not with this company I must add. )
neecy

Post by neecy »

Hi- I did this a few years back for my great niece and didn't have a problem with the thread. It came out great. I had it framed in a lovely wooden frame just like the one it's advertised with and it was gratefully received by the parents. Lovely stitching.
Neecy
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

This is a gorgeous Design and you are making lovely progress with it too. It will become an heirloom I am sure. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

I agree that most kits come with sufficient floss - unless a lot of frogging takes place. Please continue to share your progress with us - I think this design is wonderful!!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Nothing for me to add to the discussion but Ihave to say that kit is beautiful! There is nothing more inspiring than a grandchild on the way. I hope the project goes well and that you show your progress at regular intervals.

O yes, and congratulations Grandma!
Linda
Sarah5

Post by Sarah5 »

Many thanks for all your positive comments.

I have decided not to stress about running out of thread. There are lots of small motifs that only use a few stitches ( not sure if that is confetti or if that term is used for literally a single stitch) and I am beginning to get a feel for how far a short piece of thread will go.

I started making my Xs by coming up in the top left corner \\\\\ with the //// diagonal lying on top.
Sarah5

Post by Sarah5 »

Whoops, clicked by accident and sent that reply before finishing.

Everything I have read since says to start by bringing the thread up from the bottom left and make crosses /// followed by \\\\
I think this makes it easier working from top of chart left to right, working downwards. Easier in that you are putting the needle up through an empty hole to make the new stitch on the next row each time. My project has lots of isolated motifs so I don't suppose it makes a lot of difference.

My husband's hobby is various wood crafts and he has said he will make a frame for it so it will be truly handmade.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Sarah5 wrote: Everything I have read since says to start by bringing the thread up from the bottom left and make crosses /// followed by \\\\
I think this makes it easier working from top of chart left to right, working downwards. Easier in that you are putting the needle up through an empty hole to make the new stitch on the next row each time. My project has lots of isolated motifs so I don't suppose it makes a lot of difference.
The only thing that really matters is that all the top stitches go in the same direction. I'm so looking forward to seeing this one grow.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Linda Rose wrote:Nothing for me to add to the discussion but I have to say that kit is beautiful! There is nothing more inspiring than a grandchild on the way. I hope the project goes well and that you show your progress at regular intervals.

O yes, and congratulations Grandma!
I agree!! Beautiful sampler choice and Congrats Grandma!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

What a lovely sampler this is going to be -- and clever of you to get some of the boxes done as you go. Once they are in, the rest of the counting will be much simpler. I never worry about running out of thread with a kit. And if the worst happens, you contact them, and they'll probably send you a bit more. :D