Fantasy Castle FINISHED!! 06.11.15 pg 4

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

rcperryls

Re: Fantasy Castle update 31.10.14

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful progress!! It is so good to see this one again!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
muguet

Post by muguet »

Wow, what an amazing gift you got!! The pattern is gorgeous and you made amazing progress. Can't wait to see how it turns out! :applesauce: :applesauce:
Mary

WIPs
"Angel Sampler" (S 07/05)
"Holiday Town Church" (S 08/12)
"Whats This" HAED (S 08/28)

Finishes
"Patience" (S 08/08 F 08/19)
"Schubeart" (S 20/08 F 08/23)
fccs

Post by fccs »

Fantastic progress and such pretty stitching. I hope you enjoy stitching it as much as I enjoy seeing the updates.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Great progress on this interesting design and it sure is good to see it and you again. :lol: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Lovely to see this. You are doing very well with it. well done. Look forward to next update :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

What a nice update. The positive thing about waiting so long between updates, is that you can see huge amounts of progress. This piece is coming along very nicely.

I can't wait to see more updates.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Interesting to see it as a sort of "void castle" - looking forward to seeing it filled in!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Interesting to see it as a sort of "void castle" - looking forward to seeing it filled in!

yes it really is! I decided I wanted the castle to be the last part of the piece that I did so as I work around the bottom there should be more of an outline emerging - I also find when I get to the end and filling it in that it seems to go quicker

I never really went anywhere - I just didnt have much to say but it is nice to talk with you all again
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
Annieinstitches

Post by Annieinstitches »

Its great to follow your progress through the pictures you have posted, I'm looking forward to seeing it grow.
what a lovely picture - well done
Annie :roll:
Arianwen

Re: Fantasy Castle update 10.08.16

Post by Arianwen »

wow its been nearly a year since I posted an update for this - I cant believe that! :oops:

I've been working on it steadily since then, taking a few breaks to make wedding anniversary samplers for my partners parents (50 years) and my grandparents (70 years) and a couple of small things as well.

My partner and I now live in our own (rented) flat. It took us a while to get in - the previous tenants delayed a month, but we moved in back in May and have been trying to get ourselves sorted. It was a huge change for me as I have always lived in the same house, with my parents, so to be living on our own somewhere else was very weird. It still is. But I havent had as much trouble adjusting as I feared I would

Anyway. im still trying to make my new stitchy spot work the best for me. One big thing on my wish list is the longer L bar for my Lowery so I can stitch more comfortably on the sofa. However, being able to leave my stitching set up all the time is great and it means I can stitch more easily of an evening for half an hour or an hour etc and my progress is much quicker now. I think Ive finished about 3 pages since we moved in in May

Here is what it looked like on Saturday when I moved up to start working across the middle

I'm kinda on my summer break now so I do have more time to stitch, but I've made huge progress on that first page on the left and hope to finish it (the page) in the next couple of weeks.

There is huge amounts of confetti along that bottom row but I really enjoyed it. I'm still not 100% sure about the sky - it doesnt seem to blend as well as the rest of the piece but I wont redo it at this stage. I love standing back and watching all the grass and river and rocks become definable 'things' rather than coloured blobs as I am stitching them

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by Arianwen on Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I fear I agree with you.
The sky is not convincing. The charting software & chart creator did not do a very good dither (if one was done at all) to erase the colour contours. Having looked at the image on page 1 of what this should look like, I think the chart creator deserves a blinking good kicking for allowing that poor a conversion for the sky. You have obviously stitched what is there with great accuracy (else the foreground wouldn't look so brilliant), but the charting, well... 'Poor' is being very generous.
Sorry, feeling very annoyed that someone had the cheek to sell that conversion, and annoyed on your behalf that you have spent so much time on something that could so easily have been better. :tantrum:

The rest looks fantastic.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

Thanks Richard - I did wonder while I was stitching it but thought it would look better from a distance (which it does - it looks a lot worse than this close up) and when the whole piece is finished.

it does look better in that picture than when I eyeballed it straight out of the frame. We shall see how it turns out and I am planning to send a finished pic to the designer so she can see what it looks like too

I might not love the finished piece because of that but I have loved the process of stitching (even confetti and I usually hate this amount of confetti) and I love the thought that was behind the gift of the chart, so I really can't complain too much
Current WIP's

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
kandifloss

Post by kandifloss »

This will be lovely when finished. Shame about the sky but you have done excellent stitching Look forward to next update

Glad you are settling in new home :)

Kandi :rainbow:
Kandi

There is always a rainbow somewhere in the world even If you cannot see one
So never give up hope
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: You are doing a beautiful job of stitching! And loving the process for me is the most important part. Hopefully when it is finished the focus will be on the beautiful grasses and trees and of course the castle, which you appear to be saving for the last part.
Congrats on your move. Sounds like you are settling in and enjoying it.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

WOW that is great progress and hopefully the sky will look less out of place as you move on from it. A beautiful update and Congratulations of the move into your own place too. :D

WIPS
nettie

Post by nettie »

This is a wonderful project. I see what you mean about the sky though the latest update it was the lower part of the picture that caught my eye! I look forward to seeing more of this piece!
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

It a lovely project and I can't wait to see the castle :applesauce:

I'm thinking that once you have stitched the castle, the design as a whole will come together and hopefully the sky won't look so stark, I look at what I'm stitching all the time and it never quite looks right till its finished.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

Great progress! The outlines of the castle is now visible :dance: :applesauce: Looking forward for the updated progress pic you prommised :)
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The sky is a bit disappointing and the seller should have posted a mock up, but I think I can provide that for you so you know what to expect with the rest of of pattern. Here is more or less what you have now with your size of 396x225 and 143 colors:

As you can see the castle looks fine.

And here it is with dithering turned on:

Doesn't exactly take your breath away and even if I max out the colors and turn down the hue a bit the result is still disappointing. I think it is mostly a software issue as this etsy person has a better looking pattern (view the second image) though it is a bit larger. However, if your tool won't produce a quality result you shouldn't hide that fact just to make some sales.

Not to toot Richard's horn too much, but with 133 solid colors the result is much better than this PM pattern and with 150 blended colors it looks most excellent.
-Steve

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Both pictures look amazing and isn't it great what knowledge of computers and their software can do. Well Done Steve. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

WIPS