Spirit Cloth experiment

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

agi

Spirit Cloth experiment

Post by agi »

I have been trying to gather the courage to start making something that can be considered textile art.
Here is the piece I have been working on the last few days. It is called Serendipity I. It is not finished yet but you can have an impression of where it is going. Not very original, rather just a learning piece.

I wrote about it in detail on my blog, with a few nagging questions, too. If you have the time to go and read, I would appreciate some insight, criticism or encouragement. :D

http://worldaccordingtoagi.blogspot.se/ ... e-art.html" target="_blank
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Squirrel

Re: Spirit Cloth experiment

Post by Squirrel »

WOW Agi, that is awesome. At first glance it seems to be random shapes but a closer/proper look at it and it becomes a collage of interesting things found in the country side tied together in a beautiful way. It also gave me the impression of being at the sea side - no doubt the birds at the top are responsible for that and of course they are found on land too.

A great "thinking piece" Agi. I am sure that every time one looks at it something different comes to mind. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: I think this is very pretty and to be honest I'm not exactly sure why I think that. Each of the "objects", pieces, designs are unique but compliment each other. The colors are soft and warm and the images are very soothing. I think the name is very appropriate as it does remind me of finding something or creating something lovely not exactly by accident but being surprised by an outcome that wasn't predictable when you were putting it together. I hope this makes sense. I tried to get to your blog but it was taking a while and I got impatient.

I love your creativity and love seeing your work.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Inkysloth

Post by Inkysloth »

The line in your blog post about "waiting until I become an artist" is exactly it. There's no hard line between crafter ---> artist, as far as I can see. Craft has a focus on technique, and art tends to be about expressing ideas / emotions / narrative. Craft can be used as art, or it can be for its own sake, neither approach is wrong / better.

So if you're exploring ideas, feelings, stories etc using your craft, then you're an artist!
I lurk on Twitter & Instagram as @inkysloth
My print & calligraphy work is over at http://www.inkysloth.co.uk" target="_blank

WIPs
Geological map of the British Isles
Hand x-Ray
Ongoing string of small rainbow badges
Tessellating Escher-style lizard chair seat.