How long will it take?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

felicity53

How long will it take?

Post by felicity53 »

Hello. I've been invited to do a cross stitch for someone else. I'm tempted. But need to work out approx how long it will take. I know, I know, it's like asking how long is a piece of string! I'm an experiences stitcher, it's on 14 count aida, there are 54 colours and it will be 196 stitches x 124 stitches. I's appreciate any help on this prior to deciding if I'll do it. Thanks. :thinks:
felicity53

Re: How long will it take?

Post by felicity53 »

Ok. I've given this some thought and dug out the calculator. 196 x 124 = 24304 stitches. I'm assuming there will be some confetti in that because of the number of colours. So working on an assumption of 3 stitches per minute, so 180 stitches per hour that would be approx 135 hours. If I stitch for 3 hours a day that would be 45 days (6 1/2 weeks). Does that seem right?
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I reckon on 100 stitches an hour with medium complexity & confetti, and 140 a day.
I have averaged that over 5 years, and it comes to 50000 a year with a little margin for speeding up.

I would be tempted to suggest 6 months - especially as it'll mean if they get it early they'll be happy and you have time for some of your own projects, especially if you stitch faster than I do. I do not have a support for my frame, so it possibly takes longer than stitching two handed.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
felicity53

Post by felicity53 »

Thanks Richard. I think alternating it with my own projects is a really good idea.