FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Mags has won!

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

rcperryls

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 10 Picks

Post by rcperryls »

None for Day 10 but definitely interesting. I also wonder who was the first one to figure out how to put a hole in a piece of bone. Maybe he/she found a fragment that already had a hole in it and tried to recreate it :idea: was born. So much we take for granted.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 11 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

Here are today's numbers. Please be sure to post your scores as you catch up after the weekend. Thanks!

1 1524

The earliest printed pattern book was produced in Germany in 1524. Another source, found only after I put the game together, declares the year 1523. Either way, it was a very long time ago. Just today I found this link that references the 1523 printing of Furm oder Modelbüchlein (“Form or little pattern book”) by Johann Schönsperger the Younger. http://www.artpractical.com/feature/thr ... paradigms/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

19 Needlepoint

Needlepoint is a form of counted thread embroidery in which yarn is stitched through a stiff open weave canvas. Most needlepoint designs completely cover the canvas. Although needlepoint may be worked in a variety of stitches, many needlepoint designs use only a simple tent stitch and rely upon color changes in the yarn to construct the pattern. When referring to handcrafted textile arts which a speaker is unable to identify, the appropriate generalized term is "needlework". The first recorded use of the term needlepoint is in 1869, as a synonym for point-lace. Isabella Beeton’s Beeton's Book of Needlework (1870) does not use the term "needlework", but rather describes “every kind of stitch which is made upon canvas with wool, silk or beads” as Berlin Work (also spelled Berlinwork). Berlin Work refers to a subset of needlepoint, popular in the mid-19th Century that was stitched in brightly colored wool on needlepoint canvas from hand-colored charts.

"Needlepoint" refers to a particular set of stitching techniques worked upon stiff openwork canvas. However, "needlepoint" is not synonymous with all types of embroidery. Because it is stitched on a fabric that is an open grid, needlepoint is not embellishing a fabric, as is the case with most other types of embroidery, but literally the making of a new fabric. It is for this reason that many needlepoint stitches must be of sturdier construction than other embroidery stitches.

Needlepoint is often referred to as "tapestry" in the United Kingdom and sometimes as "canvas work". However, needlepoint - which is stitched on canvas mesh - differs from true tapestry - which is woven on a vertical loom. When worked on fine weave canvas in tent stitch, it is also known as "petitpoint". Additionally, "needlepoint lace" is also an older term for needle lace, an historic lace-making technique.
Excerpts from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needlepoint" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

1524 brings me to 7/10! Interesting info about tapestry. I know that intricate designs on a loom are referred to as tapestry, but I thought that tapestry included embroidered pieces like the Bayeux Tapestry or the more recent Great Tapestry of Scotland (which our own Serinde participated in).

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

I think the link shown with the Bayeux Tapestry indicated that it was incorrectly called a tapestry. The name has just stuck through the centuries.
Linda
mags

Post by mags »

I must go back and check but I think I'm up to 9 now :D
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 12 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

Happy Monday. I hope your day is going well. Here we go for today:

29 Thread

A thread is a small twist of considerable length made from wool, silk, cotton or yarn or any fibrous substance, with a cut in the cross section and is used to stitch and sew fabric and other objects.

Thread has always been an important component of stitching ever since man discovered the need of clothing for protection. Early sewing threads were made out of animal hides by cutting them into thin strips. These were then used to stitch fur and hide together. Many tribes even knew which local plant and tree gave the best thread. Continue to read the fascinating history here

http://www.sewingmantra.com/index.php/t ... ng-thread/" target="_blank" target="_blank

14 Hardanger

Hardanger embroidery or "Hardangersøm" is a form of embroidery traditionally worked with white thread on white even-weave cloth, using counted thread and drawn thread work techniques. It is sometimes called whitework embroidery.

Read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardanger_embroidery" target="_blank" target="_blank

If it is allowed, can someone link to our own Mabel Figworthy? She has beautiful patterns that are suitable for teaching yourself how to do this beautiful work. Thank you?
Linda
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

Just catching up from the weekend and I'm now on 7!!
Really interesting reading, thanks Linda.
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

It's allowed. We often link to designers and web sites (I once did a Bingo which was about designers who were new to me and put in links to each one) so here is Mabel Figworthy's Fancies, one of my favorite Hardanger websites! and my favorite Hardanger designer. without whom I would never have attempted anything so initially scary as putting scissors to fabric!

none for me today, but this is so interesting, I almost don't care!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

rcperryls wrote:It's allowed. We often link to designers and web sites (I once did a Bingo which was about designers who were new to me and put in links to each one) so here is Mabel Figworthy's Fancies, one of my favorite Hardanger websites! and my favorite Hardanger designer. without whom I would never have attempted anything so initially scary as putting scissors to fabric!

none for me today, but this is so interesting, I almost don't care!

Carole

Thanks so much. I will be trying one of Mavis's patterns this year. I can't wait to have the time to start it! While I have done a sampler with just a bit of cut work, I am going to try something much more complicated this time.
Linda
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 13 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

Here we go with two new subjects, one which I consider one of my best finds:

16 Loara Standish

Loara Standish was the daughter of Mayflower passenger Myles Standish and Barbara Standish. One of seven children, Loara was born sometime after 1627 and grew up with her family in Duxbury, in Plymouth Colony, across the harbor from the original Plymouth settlement.

The Loara Standish sampler is the oldest documented sampler in the U.S.A. It was stitched by Loara in the late 1630s or early 1640s. It is a formidable example of sampler making at its finest. It was stitched so as to be completely reversible, with numerous bands of varied stitches, including Montenegrin cross, long-armed cross, back, outline, eyelet, double running and arrow-head. Also documented was a stitch that required 13 passes of the needle to complete. It was named the Standish Stitch by Joann Harvey of The Examplarery, who examined the sampler and researched and reproduced it so we too may enjoy stitching it. The sampler was stitched on 50 count linen, in blues, greens, pink, and a faded red. It measures 7 1/4”x 23 1/2". Motifs include the rose, carnation, oak leaf and an intertwined "S" above the verse which reads: "Loara Standish is my name/Lorde guide my hart that/I may doe thy will also/My hands with such/Convenient skill as may/Conduce to virtue void of/Shame and I will give/The glory to thy name".

http://www.pilgrimhallmuseum.org/pdf/Lo ... ampler.pdf" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

http://campcrossstitch.com/Stitch/loara-standish-1653/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

17 Marcus Bourne Huish

Marcus Bourne Huish (25 November 1843 – 4 May 1921) was an English barrister, writer and art dealer. He was the son of Marcus Huish of Castle Donington and his wife Margaret Jane Bourne. Bourne was the editor of The Art Journal from 1881 to 1892 and was the first Managing Director of the Fine Art Society. He was a Japanophile and was given the honour of Chevalier of the Order of the Sacred Treasure. He was the Honorary Librarian of the Japan Society of the UK. More importantly, at least to us and this forum, he is the author of Samplers and Tapestry Embroideries, a study and collection of beautiful and historic samplers and embroideries. The book is offered for viewing in various formats by The Gutenberg Project. Be sure to do a find (Ctrl + F) on the word Calcutta for a most unusual discovery. The text on the Calcutta sampler comes up with the third finding of the word.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41717?m ... e_stranger" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Last edited by Linda Rose on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

One for me today so I'm at 8/10! good luck to everyone who is close. Amazing sampler by Loara Standish and interesting info about her as well. My pick however was Huish, who was also interesting, but not nearly the same as that amazing Sampler nearly 400 years old.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
mags

Post by mags »

Marcus B Huish brings me to 10 :whoop:

Not sure if I am the first but sending a pm now.
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

mags wrote:Marcus B Huish brings me to 10 :whoop:

Not sure if I am the first but sending a pm now.

Congratulations! You are indeed first to shout BINGO! I will be in touch with you soon to sort out you prize.

For all other competitors, their are still 2 pieces of Bellana cream with gold fleck up for grabs...perfect for an upcoming Christmas project...so please check back later today for today's numbers.
Linda
mags

Post by mags »

Yay :dance:
Thanks Linda

Will have a think about the next bingo... :thinks:
mags

WIPs:
various bits and bobs
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:whoop: Congratulations Mags!!! What a fun bingo this was, Linda!! Looking forward to what you come up with, Mags.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Linda Rose

Re: FOLLOW THAT THREAD BINGO - Day 14 Picks

Post by Linda Rose »

OK ladies. It's time to check in and calculate your scores. You have more than you think! There are still 2 "stash" prizes of fabric that I would love to share. Good luck with fast fingers!

2 1804

In 1804 a print seller in Berlin whose name was Phillipson introduced blocked and colored patterns on a square grid where each square represented a stitch. The techniques for producing colored and gridded designs had previously been used by weavers of textiles but never before adapted to embroidery. The embroidery patterns were now made from copperplate prints and then hand painted. The technique consisted of four steps.
1). A master copy of a design was made on paper.
2). A copperplate was engraved with faint symbols in each square indicating the color.
3). The design was printed.
4). Colorists painted each square with the indicated color using a tiny square-tipped brush.

Each pattern was an original.

9 Catherine of Aragon

Catherine of Aragon, the Spanish first wife of Henry VIII, is believed to have been the one who first introduced the British to Blackwork. Blackwork technique is thought to have influenced the development of cross stitch.

Cannot yet share my sources as it would spoil it for tomorrow. I hope to hear from someone else today!
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

9/10 for me with 1804! Don't you wonder what the stitchers of that day would think about downloading charts in pdf format from the internet. Definitely sounds like magic and or witchcraft (or is that stitchcraft) to me!

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
fccs

Post by fccs »

rcperryls wrote: Don't you wonder what the stitchers of that day would think about downloading charts in pdf format from the internet. Definitely sounds like magic and or witchcraft (or is that stitchcraft) to me!

Carole
I think we'd be on the bad side of a witch hunt. :-)

And I'm at 9/10, too. And congrats Mags for the big win!!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Once again ladies, please double check your scores!
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

I just PM'd you - I think I might have 10/10. :oops:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends