How do you organize you left-over floss from kits??

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

monandjeff

How do you organize you left-over floss from kits??

Post by monandjeff »

I mean the floss on the floss card from kits like Dimensions, especially kits using non-DMC floss. When you finish your kits how do you organize/store the left-over floss?? Using bobbins?
richardandtracy

Re: How do you organize you left-over floss from kits??

Post by richardandtracy »

In the bin!

Well, that's not quite true. I have only done one kit, and it used a Chinese brand floss. I have kept the leftovers for old time's sake in the original packaging, but plan on chucking out any non branded floss in the future if I ever get another kit. However, that won't be before 2020, when I'm likely to finish my current pictures.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
cairee

Post by cairee »

I was looking at the leftover floss from a dimentions kit I had to ask a few questions before I decided to keep or toss it.

1. would I ever stitch this design again?

2. is there enough thread left to stitch this design again?

if both answers are yes, then I lable the card with the pattern name, wind the floss arround the card and toss it in a bag for spare floss, the pattern I store with all the other patterns that are not being used right now.

if either answer is no, then its garbage
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

I usually keep the leftovers with the chart. If I or anyone else wants to stitch it, having the colors available for matching would be helpful.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

My intent is to put the leftovers in a bobbin box on bobbins. I have done this once or twice. The rest has ended up in a ziplock bag or the project box I was using. It is way more fun to start a new project than to organize leftovers! I use the throw away plastic food storage boxes (Glad or whatever brand) for projects or the small size bobbin boxes. If using the bobbin boxes I have to empty them when finished.
Rosheen

Post by Rosheen »

DahliaDoll wrote:I usually keep the leftovers with the chart. If I or anyone else wants to stitch it, having the colors available for matching would be helpful.
That is how I do it. They go in plastic document holders, together with the chart, in a folder.
If I really don't want them anymore, there is a group of lovely old ladies in a retirement home nearby and they can always use the left overs for their craft work. :P
Love,
Hilde

=====================================================================
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Good on you Rosheen for finding a home for the left overs.

I used to keep them, but have so much floss around plus still a large bobbin box of my grandmother and mothers floss I just bin it when I am done with the project. I have more than enough floss for the remainder of my life I am sure and my daughter has her own stash which is fairly large too.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
geekishly

Post by geekishly »

With larger kits, I put mine in little acid-free plastic baggies, 2x3" size. With the little kits from Cross Stitcher magazine (and other magazines,) I just leave them in the envelope they came in. I toss them all into a little box that I raid for tiny projects where the exact color doesn't matter much. I also use it for teaching people how to cross stitch, and let them pick out a few colors for practicing with after I've taught them the basics.
- Brandi

WIPs
Joan Elliot's "Grace"
"Sephina's Secret" by Illustrated Ink
Small Projects - Belle & Boo girl w/dove

my blog
Fibreartist

Post by Fibreartist »

If I have any floss leftover from any kits and I don't know the origin of it I throw it out. I don't want to mix that in with my DMC.