Pattern Making Programs

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Re: Pattern Making Programs

Post by richardandtracy »

Having modified my plan printer to be a self contained conversion program that copes with blends, dithering et al, I can say I use that instead of Ryijy Stitch Designer. It's available as a free download:

http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk/downloads/crossstitch.zip (3.12Mb).

The program features opening images from jpg, bmp, gif or emf formats. Conversion of colours to DMC or Anchor with optional re-size, dithering and/or blending of threads (DMC only). The program features Back Stitch creation, Back Stitch creation over a high res image, Merge Colours and Crop image. The stitched picture can be on fabric from almost any thread count from 6 to 40 stitches per inch. The chart can be printed out at almost any size from 3 to 40 symbols per inch.
The Chart printout can include all or any of the following:
  • Front Page
    Index page (with optional chart page cross reference image)
    Colour Chart (with optional simple key on page)
    Monochrome Chart
    Backstitch Chart
    Detailed Key in two forms. For blended or unblended threads. A thread length calculation is included, with thread length being partially dependant on image complexity, more complex = longer thread.
    Fabric details with image complexity assessment.
There is a print preview and fully illustrated help file in .chm format.

Furthermore, I am prepared to listen to suggestions and incorporate them if possible.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited to add:
Now includes a comprehensive vector based image editor, and the colour conversion routine offers you more control over the conversion than any other program (commercial or free) and is totally unique in allowing you to specify your own dither pattern parameters should you so desire. Comes with three built-in thread colour definition files (DMC, DMC Monochrome and Anchor) and allows you to define and register your own thread colour definition files. If you define your own thread colour definition file, the act of registration creates a blend list based on the closest matching blends, expanding the available thread colours enormously - another unique feature.

Edited further to add:
Now saves pdf files, creates an accurate, full size, mock-up of the finished picture and shows which thread colours are used on each page so you don't have to fully kit up the project before starting.
Last edited by richardandtracy on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

I'm looking at upgrading my pattern designer and am stuck between PCStitch10 and DP Software, there's a big difference and price and don't want to make the wrong decision.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have always used the PCStitch program and find it wonderful to use. Both for creating from scratch and also for importing pictures. This is a personal decision and I have not used the other programs so I can not fairly say which would be better. I think you would have to read through what each one can and can not do and decide what your needs are.

One of the members has created his own program for converting pictures to patterns. You might look and see if that could be something you could use. It is above my use skills though. There are pages of discussion in the General Section if you are interested.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I prefer the DP Software over PCStitch because I feel the color matching is better when importing images to convert to XS. I see the most noticeable improvement in skin tones, so between those two programs, I'd pick DP. If you're just going to tinker with it or converting images isn't a priority, PCStitch is fine and much less expensive. If you're serious about it, imo the best program overall for converting images is Richard's program (and it's free).

http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk/downloads/crossstitch.zip" target="_blank

If you've never used XS software before or just used it casually, Richard's program is a challenge. I don't know how far he's gotten in the Help file and/or tutorials so the learning curve may be rather steep, but the ability to use blends as easily as solid colors makes for awesome conversions.

WIP
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

I have managed to download the PCStitch free version, not easy with my dial up, and I think I agree with you Allyn, there seem to be more options for changing things and an easier to use program with DP Software. I've ordered a DMC shade card so will get a better idea of the colours when that arrives
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Solitaire wrote:I have managed to download the PCStitch free version, not easy with my dial up, and I think I agree with you Allyn, there seem to be more options for changing things and an easier to use program with DP Software. I've ordered a DMC shade card so will get a better idea of the colours when that arrives

If you get the color card with pictures of the colors, take it with a grain of salt as far as color matching. If it were printed with the sophistication of a Pantone chart, it would be useful, but they're not. If you get a color card with the actual tufts of floss, imo that's the better one, but I don't know if you can get them anymore. Keep in mind that your monitor is not calibrated for color work (I assume since the calibration equipment is rather pricey and no one I know calibrates their monitor except graphic artists) so the colors you see on the screen may not be accurate. That's why imo the easiest way to tell is to look at skin tones.

WIP
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

I've ordered the shade card with the strands of floss on it, Sew and So Ltd in the UK sell them
rasesp

Post by rasesp »

Evaluating Color Palettes

These days I learned a lot about colorimetry, luminance, gamma, LUMA, etc. to analyze around 30 palettes found on the Internet, photographs of "DMC Stranded Cotton Shade Card" and evaluation software about DMC threads, and after two months of hard work, I got only 5 of the best palettes which after a simply averaging I get my own Pallet that I'm using in my first projects. I hope show results soon. (sorry my english)
Last edited by rasesp on Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Don't worry about your English. Full marks for trying.

it makes my headache just reading what you clever people can do with programmes. I have enough to cope with TV & laptop @rotfl:
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
CreativeCanvas

Post by CreativeCanvas »

does anyone have any that can be used on a mac? which would you recommend?
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

CreativeCanvas wrote:does anyone have any that can be used on a mac? which would you recommend?
I don't know of any that are free for a mac (there are several free programs for pc's), but I have MacStitch (2011 version), which I have to admit, I use very little, but it's a pretty good program. We have other members who use this one also. I don't think there are a lot of pattern making programs for Macs, but I haven't really looked around for a long time. I would do a Google search and see what comes up. Most of them have free trials so you can see what you like best. Searching for a program for macs is what first brought me to this forum.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

DP Software has a Mac version. I haven't used the Mac version, but I do like their PC version.

WIP
CreativeCanvas

Post by CreativeCanvas »

thank you! everyone here is so helpful and great!
rasesp

Cross Stitch Advanced Assistant

Post by rasesp »

Hello everyone

I'd like to share with you a video of a new software that I'm developing called (temporarily) "Cross Stitch Advanced Assistant"

I can not wait to read your comments.

Ragards.

Raúl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaAzTBmSnDw
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I'm not having any luck with creating a pattern. The best I've got to nearest I want was working with 'Stitch Your Photo.com.
I am not Photoshop savvy in the least? :roll: I would like to suggest Richard&Tracy put out a youtube video on how to use it. I drop my pixels down to a 1000 and still get too large of a project to open. :tizzy:

I'm thinking of PCStitch, but I want to see at least one project created before I purchase. :thinks:
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

ecology665 wrote:...I drop my pixels down to a 1000 and still get too large of a project to open. :tizzy: ...

1000 pixels is huge. When doing a photo conversion, think of pixels as stitch count. A stitch count of 1000, either length or width, would be quite a large project. Try 300 or 400.

WIP
richardandtracy

Sorry, but I am never, under any circumstances, going to do a video. On anything.
It's just not me.

Can I ask, have you looked at the little 'Quick Start Tutorial' in the help file of my program?

Regards,

Richard.
richardandtracy

I was browsing the web, looking for pages describing charting software [so I could crib good ideas, in all honesty] and found this review page:
https://lordlibidan.com/best-cross-stit ... -software/

The page describes in a little detail quite a few chart making methods, giving a good place to start for each program.

It came as a surprise to see a review of a certain 'BlendThreads' program there, I had no idea that anyone outside this forum knew of it. It was a real shock, a nice one (unusually) to see the conclusions.

Regards,

Richard.
Mummy_of_Tia

Post by Mummy_of_Tia »

Has anybody heard of pic2pat on line conversion?
It is free but I don’t know how good it is.
I converted a picture into a pattern but the it seems backwards, I can’t figure it out.
richardandtracy

Cross posted between threads.
I have used Pic2Pat in the past and loathed the results. Ryijy Stitch Designer program is the one I started with because I was so disgusted with Pic2Pat in late 2011.

Regards

Richard