Christmas SAL - FINISHED 2015

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Kibakyu

Christmas SAL - FINISHED 2015

Post by Kibakyu »

I hate to make the samurai wait longer but it's that time of year again, and as usual I have already made a long list of things I cannot possibly make for everyone in time as gifts! Thankfully I am getting to a decent start, as 2 of them have come along nicely so far. That makes only 8 more to go! :P

This one is almost to backstitch stage but I got so tired of doing the blue and the background is all blue so then I started doing blue with the next project instead :P

Kreinik is murder with this one, which is part of a set of four angels...shiny looks really good which is the only reason I'm fighting Krenik every step of the way. This one won't look like much until I do backstitch with it too.
Last edited by Kibakyu on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)

~~~~ 好きにしろ! (Do what you like) ~~~~
fccs

Re: Christmas SAL

Post by fccs »

Those are both very nice. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work - and looking forward to more of the samurai, too.

I'm not sure which Kreinik you're using, but it helps to keep the lengths shorter than usual, and some Thread Heaven might help. I recently discovered Rainbow blending thread by Glissen Gloss and I've had decent luck with it. If you have too many issues with the Kreinik, you might give it a go.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Kibakyu

Post by Kibakyu »

There is no way I'll survive 4 of these with 102c/002c 11M mainly used for the wings...it is so thick that the cotton DMC tends to fail to come through during a stitch. I will have to look at the alternatives you mentioned; thank you!
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Both pieces are looking good. I am also looking forward to more of your Samurai. I agree with Debby about the metallic threads. I have often used two strands of floss and one of the Krenik blending filaments. It depend on how much of a sparkle you want. I discovered one time that I was supposed to be using Krenik braid and was stitching with the filament and that was awful. I've recently used the Rainbow blending thread that Debby mentioned and also find it easier to use.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

They are both lovely designs beautifully stitched. Well Done

I sometimes do the background in half stitch, it is quicker and looks good too. As for Krenik, it can be a real pain I know but short lengths help. I love Rainbow Gallery metallic, so easy to use and Kreinik' # 4 braid is easier than the straight metallics.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

I will miss the updates of your samurai for now. However, those pieces that you are working on for Christmas are fantastic. I rarely making things to give for gifts any more. I have way too many family members. I now only make gifts that are a specific request (and then I am always happy to oblige).

Thanks for sharing pictures of these pieces.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Great progress! As for Kreinik, I don't think their metallics are so bad actually, but that's because I cut my teeth on the demonic DMC!! :evil: Shorter lengths, and tying the slippery stuff to the needle helps a lot.
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Beautiful stitching!!! I'm like Serinde, I don't have too many problems using kreinik, but I do really prefer to use the rainbow gallery metallic threads if I can get them
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

Both are lovely, but I really like the angel especially. What pattern is it? Maybe I missed that info. I'm awfully tired today.

I'm one of those oddballs who prefers the DMC metallics. 8)
Kibakyu

Post by Kibakyu »

Both are lovely, but I really like the angel especially. What pattern is it? Maybe I missed that info. I'm awfully tired today.

I'm one of those oddballs who prefers the DMC metallics
The angel is a set titled "Glad Tidings Ornaments" but I cannot find it online in a quick search and it is a very old pattern by the looks of it...probably from the 90s! It will reveal itself soon enough, it's pretty close to done now except for backstitch.

I actually used DMC metallics on the owl, on the presents and on the snow and eventually the snowflakes. The only problem with them is they are so specific on what you can use them with (I have about 10 different colors, which might be close to all of them).

Updates soon!
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)

Kibakyu

Post by Kibakyu »

Christmas is fast approaching and this is all I can say for progress - sometimes there are so many distractions! I really must focus a bit more

Here is a closeup of the DMC Metallic in the owl - I was tempted to do blue and (thankfully) didn't have the correct shade...I would've done the entire background with metallic thread knowing myself!

Progress on the angel - the only problem is those wings have no backstitch design and so I've tried to dig up an idea to create some!

First snowstorm of the winter. Looks pretty but...not to shovel for 2 hours.
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)

AlwaysGoofy

Re: Christmas SAL - 11/21/15

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Beautiful updates on your Christmas pieces. That photo with the snow is just breathtaking.

Thank you for sharing! :D
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Fabulous update on your Christmas stitching and they are really getting that much closer to the finish. Hope you can find some way to b/s the wings, it would help identify what that bit of stitching is.

WOW love your snow picture but I agree about the 2 hours of shovelling - not nice.

A great update :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Beautiful update and hope you don't get any more snow for a while now!
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

They are both beautiful & neatly stitched too. Look forward to seeing more of your work, well done :applesauce: :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful stitching! I really like the owl! The snow picture is lovely and why I love to see those photos. The 2 hour shoveling is why I love the photos from a distance. :wink:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful stitching and wow---Love the snow shot---it's always so pretty, UNTIL you have to shovel it to get out and about!! Been there, done that---miss the beauty of it but not the shoveling at all!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

Beautiful update! I couldn't find the "Glad Tidings Ornaments" either. Regarding the wings, Lavender & Lace has some freebie christmas angels you might find some back stitching ideas for the wings. Be forewarned though, they're beautiful and you'll probably add to your pattern stash.

http://www.tiag.com/otherproducts/xmasangels.html
sina28

Post by sina28 »

I know what you mean! Sometimes there is so much going on that we really have to sit down and find time for ourselves, which can be so hard!

I love your updates, you made a good progress. :wub:
Sina
Kibakyu

Re: Christmas SAL - Final 2015

Post by Kibakyu »

Christmas has been over for sometime - but here are the finishes.

Since the new year I have been having a really hard time starting up again...I have started 2 but am not really interested in doing either most of the time. I think I will try and get the samurai out later today and see what happens. :)
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)