Witch and her cat - Work in progress - COMPLETED!

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Beaaaatrice

Witch and her cat - Work in progress - COMPLETED!

Post by Beaaaatrice »

Hi everyone!

I'm new here on this forum and I'm fairly new to cross stitching as well. Did a lot of it a few years back but then I took a long break and forgot almost everything about it. I started again in the beginning of this year with small projects and then a couple of months back I started my first big project that I thought I would share with you guys! :)

I found the chart on a Russian website and thanks to Translate I found the download button: http://www.valentina.ru/shems.php?act=2&chm=4414" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" (Giving you the link to the website is OK right?)

This has been a long journey with colours and technic for me, I've learned a lot in the process of this and know it's not perfect but I am very proud of how it has turned out. About the colours, I bought all the colours from the list that follows, but there was one colour that didn't exist which made me a bit worried about how the other colours were. I started with the blue colours and it turned out great, but the skin colours I'm still a bit unsure about, it's the middle colour on her arm that's been bugging me the most but I'm just going to roll with it and see how it all looks when I'm done :)

Bea
:wave:

Last edited by Beaaaatrice on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
richardandtracy

Re: Witch and her cat - Work in progress - Bea

Post by richardandtracy »

Do like this. The shape is fun, and you seem to be having a ball with it. Looks really nice.

Being seriously under the paw at home, I tend to like anything with cats anyway.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Great progress! I love kittie designs of all kinds (the majority of what I stitch :oops: ) and this one is adorable. Sometimes the colors used in charts don't look right until after the piece is finished. Skin tones can be the most difficult. Did you have to use Translate to get the colors also? Are they DMC colors or a conversion from another brand? I think that the colors fit in very well with the style of the design which is wonderful.

Posting links to sites that have charts that the seller has the right to sell are not a problem at all. It is only those sites that violate copyright laws that we can't allow on the forum. We share this information as well as information about all kinds of stash and where to get the best buys and best quality materials. Be warned that your stash is likely to grow geometrically after spending a lot of time here. Next best thing to stitching is stash gathering!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful start on a very nice design!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

ZlayaKoshka

Post by ZlayaKoshka »

Wow, this looks very good - a nice start! Like many others here, I am also a fan of everything cat-related :)

(BTW I am from Russia, so if you have any questions about Russian websites - just ask me, I'll be glad to help. )
--
Maria

My free cross stitch designs -- http://www.happy-stitch.net/categories/stitch-patterns/" target="_blank

2015 Finishes
Mini trees postcard
Stitching out Stigma square

WIP
Cats in the Kitchen, Janlynn crafts (UFO)
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

That's a lovely design! Great progress! :applesauce:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
fccs

Post by fccs »

I agree with everyone - this is a great design and you're doing a wonderful job on it. As for the skin tone, it does look a bit off in the picture, but it could (and probably does) look totally different in person. Your idea of going with it and then deciding is probably a good one - if there is a lot of that color, I'd probably make a decision sooner than later (because I do NOT like frogging). I'll be looking forward to more updates on your progress. (Oh, and yet another cat lover here.)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Beaaaatrice

Post by Beaaaatrice »

Thank you all so much for the great response!

That colour looks almost like it does on the picture and I don't think it's a lot of that colour on the rest of the motive so I'm just going to wait and see. The arm looked much better when the face was done and there is more skin colour to do so I'm hoping it's all going to fall into place.

On the chart there was a list with DMC-colours and also Gamma, so I didn't have to convert them myself. The colour that didn't exist I tried looking for the Gamma colour and then try to figure out what the DMC should be, I don't remember exactly but I didn't find anything that helped me. It's the colour above the eye and also under her arm, so I'm guessing it's a dark brown of sorts. Hopefully it's going to be easier finding a good colour when everything else is done.

And I might actually take up you offer ZlayaKoshka, I found some other witches but couldn't find the pattern to them because I didn't understand where I was going on the website :oops:

I'm a big cat lover, I have two at home and I don't think this is going to be the only piece I do with a cat on it :D :D

Thanks again for the great respons, I'll update after the weekend with pictures of my progress! :whoop:

Bea
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: A belated Welcome from me too Bea its great that you are settling in with us.

Love your WIP and it would be great to see pictures of your cats too. A lot of us have cats. Mine is a very naughty/grumpy part Siamese named Tuppence - a pale creamy ginger very tall and very long. He is grumpy because he knows there are changes and I am guessing he suspects I am going away - again as there are little piles of things around the place which aren't normally there. Cats hate change that is for sure.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
ZlayaKoshka

Post by ZlayaKoshka »

Bea, whenever you need some help - just send me a PM (or contact in any other way) :)
--
Maria

My free cross stitch designs -- http://www.happy-stitch.net/categories/stitch-patterns/" target="_blank

2015 Finishes
Mini trees postcard
Stitching out Stigma square

WIP
Cats in the Kitchen, Janlynn crafts (UFO)
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

What an interesting and unique design, I can see why you went to a lot of trouble to get it!

I often find that some colours can look "wrong" when you are stitching it up but look fine when you get to the end. And on yours it might get be deliberate and OK as its a stylised design rather than a real life design if you see what I mean?

Look forward to seeing more progress.

Niki xxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Beaaaatrice

Post by Beaaaatrice »

Thank you all!

I have a ginger cat and a dark brown. They are 10 and 8, but they've only been with us for almost a year now, they were with my boyfriends grandmother at first, but she got sick and pasted a while back so we took care of them, I love them, they are a part of my little family :) They both like to cuddle, the ginger cat purrs very loud and really really enjoys life, he can lie on his back sometimes and sleep, paws everywhere. The dark brown one can be a bit more careful, but if she isn't on you, she's in the room close to you.

We bought a house and moved to it from an apartment about a month ago. There were boxes everywhere in the apartment and the ginger cat (Truls, who likes to "speak" quite a lot sometimes), were even louder than he normally is, he felt that something was about to happen. He became much calmer after the move.

I can post a picture of them when I update with new pictures of my work (sitting with it as I write).

ZlayaKoshka, I'll send a message to you as soon as I find the witches I looked at a while back, it's a special one I'm looking for, thank you so so much! :)

Fizzbw, yes I understand what you mean and that's one of the reasons to why I haven't tried to find a more suitable color. I'm just going to keep on going and see what the result is in the end.

Bea (a.k.a Crazy Cat Lady) :oops:
Beaaaatrice

Post by Beaaaatrice »

Hi everyone!

Here is an update on my work, I've done outlines on the hat and more of the skin colours.

I haven't had the time to do as much as I would have liked to, but I sat down yesterday a couple of hours and is feeling quite happy about it.

I promised a picture of my cats, so here is one of them, the second cat comes with the next update.

His name is Truls and I'm not joking when I say that he sleeps like this very often. He is a very social cat and is not shy to say hello to new people and make them pet him the second they are inside our house :) :)
Have a nice day!

Bea
Lulu22

Re: Witch and her cat - Work in progress - Update 14/12

Post by Lulu22 »

Wow Great design! lovely work and lovely cats too :) :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

A lovely project & neatly stitched. I am not an old hand at cross stitching so cannot give a valid comment on the colours you are worried about but do know with some kits I have had the colours do not look right until the very end, as others have said. Love the cat, I am a cat lover so anything to do with cats appeals to me.

I agree with the comment about your stash growing now you're on here. Mine has as others have such lovely charts/kits which I just have to buy :lol: Happy stitching, look forward to next update complete with other cat :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Pretty kitties, both stitched and furry!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Pretty kitties, both stitched and furry!
I agree completely!! :applesauce: :applesauce:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
LadyS

Post by LadyS »

Any progress is good progress in my book! Love the kitty! :wub:
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
salome

Post by salome »

Love the design and your progress is great! I'll add it to my to-do list... As yet another cat lover, I adore any patterns with kitties, and also love any photos of real cats! :wub:
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

This is adorable! Great progress too! :applesauce: I see a lot of beautiful designs on some Russian sites, and in fact, I just wrote a company about one using Google Translate. I think that's so cool, that we can talk to people across the world in languages we don't know. :D