Present for me

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

19Roland19

Present for me

Post by 19Roland19 »

Last week I went to Michael's with a 40% off coupon and bought myself a lap scroll frame. I was so excited. And when I got home I realized I cannot use it. Both my projects are to wide.

Fortunately, I came here before opening it, read a few threads and realized, I cannot fold the material to fit. Since I did not open the package, I returned it today and got my money back. (With receipt, I only wanted the amount I paid.)

This weeks coupon is worth 50% so I bought myself another Q-Snap. I already have an 11x11, so I bought a 17x17. They are the same brand, so I'm hoping I can mix and match and have two that are 11x17.

Now, I need to make some more grime guards.
fccs

Re: Present for me

Post by fccs »

Yay!! Sorry the scroll frame didn't work out though.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Well, you know you can use the lap stand. You just have to get scroll rods long enough to accommodate your fabric to go with your stand. The side bars and the stand can still be used. I have a stand and a set of side bars and then I have eight pairs of scroll rods from 8 inches up to 36 inches.

WIP
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I do not want a floor stand. And this material is way to long to comfortably hold on my lap to work on it.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I wasn't talking about a floor stand. I said a lap stand. :) There's no fabric that lays in your lap when you use a scroll frame.

WIP
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Allyn wrote:I wasn't talking about a floor stand. I said a lap stand. :) There's no fabric that lays in your lap when you use a scroll frame.
But my material is way to wide to hold in my lap in a scroll.

And I am not happy right now. The 17" does not fit with the 11". Not sure if anyone will understand what I mean, but one set has two little ridges on the pole that fit into the elbow. The other set has six. :tantrum:

I think I'm going to sand down the extra ridges.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Oh, you're talking about the Q-snap. I'm sorry. I thought you were talking about a scroll frame and lap stand.

Is it a genuine Q-Snap brand? I have 8s and 11s and I can make an 8x11. I don't recall if it needs an extra elbow to connect the two sizes together. Can you take a picture of what you have? I know it is frustrating, but maybe we can help if we can see what's what.

WIP
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I had bought a scroll frame, but returned it and bought a second Q-Snap.

It doesn't need an extra elbow. See how there are two ridges on this elbow? The other set has six of them, so they don't mix and match.

I'm thinking of sanding down the extras on the new set. First I'm trying to work on the 17x17 frame. So far I don't like it....but even the 11x11 took a bit of getting used to.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Ah, I see now. Are the two frames the same brand? There is an actual "Q-Snap" brand and there are knock-off brands that we call Q-Snaps, but aren't. (Like we call all tissue "Kleenex" or all adhesive bandages "Band-aids".) I have Q-Snap brand and the different size bars are mix and match, but I've had them for years so I can't speak to how they work now. I was hoping someone with Q-Snaps bought recently would be able to chime in with some insight. I'm not sure there is enough material at the nibs to sand them down without leaving a slit.

WIP
cairee

Post by cairee »

Newer q snaps mix and match as well. Its one of the reasons I won't buy non brand name snap frames
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

It's the brand Michael's sells. And I'm sure that's where I bought my original last year, so I assumed it was the same brand. I guess they are now carrying a different brand.

My own fault.....but I'm mad anyway. :oops:
fccs

Post by fccs »

That's frustrating!

At one time I had the longer Qsnaps, but they were too big for me - if I still have them, I'd be happy to send them to you (and that's a big IF, too - I've done some "spring cleaning" and lots of stuff was given away).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:That's frustrating!

At one time I had the longer Qsnaps, but they were too big for me - if I still have them, I'd be happy to send them to you (and that's a big IF, too - I've done some "spring cleaning" and lots of stuff was given away).
I also have the longer Qsnaps. The Qsnap brand if that is what you need. I'm pretty sure I still have them if you need them. Glad Debby thought of it.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker