Largest cross stitch project

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

TheOtherDrew

Largest cross stitch project

Post by TheOtherDrew »

I was looking online recently for larger cross stitch projects and I came across a cross stitch kit that's a slightly larger than life-size replica of the famous Chinese panorama painting "Along the river at the Quingming festival". It's over 6 meters long! :stars:

At the moment I'm in the process of custom ordering a kit based on the rightmost panel of The Garden of Earthly Delights, by Bosch. It will be about a meter tall when it's done and I'm starting to think I've bitten off more than I can chew (which is normal for me :P )

I'm curious what's the largest project anyone here has ever done, (or at least started)?
Allyn

Re: Largest cross stitch project

Post by Allyn »

I was eager to get those Quingming festival charts. The place that had them was no longer there when I went to get them -- like the whole website was gone. I looked at the time for another source, couldn't find one and so I moved on. It's a gorgeous project.

I really like The Garden of Earthly Delights. It's one I have my eye on to chart for myself. I haven't used any shorter than 30-inch scroll rods -- usually I use 36-inchers -- in a few years, so I guess you could say my projects are big. It doesn't matter how big the project is, it's still only one stitch at a time.

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I seem to average around 50000 stitches a year, which puts a limit on the possible coverage I can manage to 8.5" over a 30" wide scroll every year at 14 count. So 6m would take me 27.8 years. I'd be nearly 79... :doh: Not sure I like any one picture enough for that.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

Wow!! I've said it before and I'll say it again--I'm in awe of you guys!

If by started you mean "bought the pattern with plans to do it once day" my largest is The Nativity by Marbek. It doesn't hold a candle to the ones discussed already though. I take it out and look at it occasionally and wonder if I should start it in hopes of finishing it before I go to that great big stitching chair in the sky.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

seedreemer wrote:Wow!! I've said it before and I'll say it again--I'm in awe of you guys!

If by started you mean "bought the pattern with plans to do it once day" my largest is The Nativity by Marbek. It doesn't hold a candle to the ones discussed already though. I take it out and look at it occasionally and wonder if I should start it in hopes of finishing it before I go to that great big stitching chair in the sky.

You'll never finish it if all you do is fondle the chart.

Someone here in the forum did a huge Disney piece. If I remember correctly, it was a collage of all the Disney characters. I can't find it (though I admit, it was a half-hearted search). Seems like it was a "he" that did it and it was finished probably over a year ago. Does anyone remember who that was?

WIP
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Allyn wrote:
seedreemer wrote:Wow!! I've said it before and I'll say it again--I'm in awe of you guys!

You'll never finish it if all you do is fondle the chart.

Someone here in the forum did a huge Disney piece. If I remember correctly, it was a collage of all the Disney characters. I can't find it (though I admit, it was a half-hearted search). Seems like it was a "he" that did it and it was finished probably over a year ago. Does anyone remember who that was?

Oh yes, that was Paul and here is a link to part of the project---what a brilliant masterpiece this is

http://crossstitchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24614
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

karen4bells wrote:Oh yes, that was Paul and here is a link to part of the project---what a brilliant masterpiece this is

http://crossstitchforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24614
That's it! Lovely project. The pictures of the finished piece are on page 8 of that thread.

I think that's the biggest project I've seen done by someone here. Because it's a collage, I don't know about actual stitch count, but physical size-wise, it's huge.

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I was thinking of Paul's project also, but was thinking more of some of designs that are one project rather than a collage. My afghans tend to be large, but they are collage like also in that there many be as many as 20+ different designs (one theme). Some of the larger ones I can think of that have been started over the years include HAED's Sistine Chapel, and several of the Golden Kite, Scarlett Quince and Mystic Stitch projects are pretty large, but I really have no idea what the largest project is.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

WOW. :shock: Paul's Disney piece is incomprehensible! And nowhere to display it. :cry:

Allyn, I knowwww. :oops: I think I'm afraid of it.
TheOtherDrew

Post by TheOtherDrew »

I found a completed version of the Quingming festival cross stitch. This one measures 22 meters and was made by just one person (a lady named Yang Hua) over the course of only 3 years!

LadyS

Post by LadyS »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That thing is BEAUTIFUL!!! Only 3 years!!! I have projects that were less than 1% of that, that took me that long!
Laura (aka lsschwartz on HAED BB)

WIPs
Krystal (HAED)
Middle Earth Map (HAED)
Snowman&Friends Stocking (Dimensions)
12 Days of Christmas SAL
Little One (Dimensions)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

TheOtherDrew wrote:I found a completed version of the Quingming festival cross stitch. This one measures 22 meters and was made by just one person (a lady named Yang Hua) over the course of only 3 years!
That's what I was looking at, too. There were two versions: one was 8 charts and the other was 14 charts. You could put the charts together to make the whole thing or stitch each one as a stand-alone scene. I would definitely have stitched it over one on a higher count fabric so it wouldn't have been that big. It looks like the stitches in the pictures are quite big, maybe 14 ct?

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

WOW the mind boggles at even thinking of doing something that large and complex. It is fabulous. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. :D :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: only 3 years :shock:
I do love large projects, my golden kite the adoration of the kings is pretty big but it's going take a long time.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Mind boggling that she did this in only 3 years.

Looking at that reminds me of the Great Tapestry of Scotland that Serinde worked on as part of a national project a few years ago regarding the history of Scotland. That was huge and involved many different stitchers, not one.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
TheOtherDrew

Post by TheOtherDrew »

This might also count as "Large" cross stitch project. :lol:

Instead of aida or linen, they used white pegboard and yarn. After stitching the pattern, they covered it with a sheet of glass & made it into a pretty cool coffee table.

seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

Wow!! That is awesome! It looks larger than 14 count to me. I'm working on 11 count right now with something, and I was thinking it looked about that size or maybe larger. I wonder how much floss she used? :shock: :shock:

I love those pegboard cross stitched projects. I've seen several on Pinterest.
TheOtherDrew

Post by TheOtherDrew »

seedreemer wrote:Wow!! That is awesome! It looks larger than 14 count to me. I'm working on 11 count right now with something, and I was thinking it looked about that size or maybe larger. I wonder how much floss she used? :shock: :shock:
I looked into it a bit more and it's on 11ct aida. I know that's a bit of a larger stitch size, but even at 22ct it would have still been about 11 meters long.

It kind of makes me want to do a cross stitch of something equally epic like the Bayeux Tapestry. (If I had a few extra lifetimes)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I looked at the seller's site after I wondered if it was 14 ct and saw that it is, in fact, 11 ct. I usually stitch with small stitches -- my current WiP is over-one on 25 count and the project before that was on 18-count aida -- so even stitches on 14 count look big to me. My first thought was that it is 9 count, but I figured that was too big. When I was looking at the charts for Quingming festival, I wanted to stitch it on 25 or 28 count over-one so it would be a manageable size to hang in my house.

The pegboard is different. :) I don't really like the look, but it is different.

WIP
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I love the coffee table :-D ! The other project is just too big for me - great stamina, but the point rather escapes me...
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page