frames for small projects

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Cuillan

frames for small projects

Post by Cuillan »

I've just bought a dimensions gold petite kit to do at work. It looks quite intricate being a small version of the full size dimensions gold. Anyway I've bought it for something to do at work but it's only 7 x 5 inches. I don't have a small enough frame and a hoop won't work.
Is it worth my while buying a frame for something so small. I'm thinking it will take a while to see it
Any advise is appreciated
Current work

Haed mini midnight secrets
Dimensions gold magnificent wizard
Allyn

Re: frames for small projects

Post by Allyn »

Why won't a hoop work? A three- or four-inch hoop should work. American Dream Products makes Tomorrow's Treasures scroll rods as short as six inches, and I'm sure other manufacturers do, too, so a scroll frame is another possibility.

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

In my 'Reference Bible' AKA Jo Verso's 'Complete Cross Stitch Course', she suggested that for really small bits of fabric you sew them over an window in a bigger bit of fabric, and then attach the bigger bit to whatever frame/hoop you want.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
marniecat

Post by marniecat »

I've used a 5" hoop with those kits as well. The fabric is longer than 5" on the shorter side so it works. Good luck!
Cuillan

Post by Cuillan »

I'm going to have a look at the small modular frames in hobby craft. I looked at hoops but the size of the fabric means that either one side won't be held by the hoop, or my stitches will be crushed in a smaller size.
Current work

Haed mini midnight secrets
Dimensions gold magnificent wizard
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Cuillan wrote: ... the size of the fabric means that either one side won't be held by the hoop, or my stitches will be crushed in a smaller size.
Neither of those have been a problem for me. As long as most of the fabric is held in the hoop, I can work with it; and stitches that are crushed by the hoop always bounce back after the project is removed from the hoop. The stitches recover over time, but they'll recover quickly after washing.

WIP
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I use a 5" hoop for 5x7 kits. Some times I will stitch in hand on an awkward area like the edges. I also leave my piece in the hoop when I'm not stitching. My experience is that the stitches do fine.
marniecat

Post by marniecat »

This is such a kit that I started today with a 6" hoop.
I know the center is obviously the easiest spot to stitch with the most room, but these kits leave you a few inches on the edges to work with. You will be placing your hoop over completed stitches at some point, but I've learned that pretty much is what happens on every piece. Your stitches will bounce back just fine!