Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Brekkana

Re: Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

Post by Brekkana »

rcperryls wrote:
wikdik wrote: have more in my stash than years on this earth to complete and still I am looking for more!
It's called SABLE.
Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy

Which is most certainly true for me. I think I will need at least another 66 years to do all I want to do. And that is assuming I never buy another chart, any more fabric, and pretty threads I won't probably use.

Carole
:oops:
I have extended my SABLE ... anyone have everlasting life to stitch potion? Trying blackwork patterns tonight ... so intriguing!
So many HAEDs I couldn't possibly list them all. Current favorites are Dragon Kin, Sea Unicorns (QS), April Fairy, What's This, Dahlia, and so many starts going on. Love to cross stitch! Find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/brekkana.kultiras
Kibakyu

Post by Kibakyu »

I read a bunch of these and have a lot of the same ones, but some are different...

1. Stashoholic - yup, though it's absolutely at it's worst around Christmas.
2. Stashoholic 2.0 - I have another stash in online folders - hundreds of free designs in either Seasonal or Non-Seasonal folders...
3. It would be cool if I could just stitch and not have to work, or stitch to work...maybe someday?
4. It super annoys me when I do a project for someone and it disappears into a drawer or such...it's like putting a piece of my soul into a drawer and just leaving it there to rot

Anyway ~ onward to the next project, amiright?
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)

~~~~ 好きにしろ! (Do what you like) ~~~~
fccs

Post by fccs »

Kibakyu wrote: 4. It super annoys me when I do a project for someone and it disappears into a drawer or such...it's like putting a piece of my soul into a drawer and just leaving it there to rot
That's why I'm pretty particular on deciding for whom I still stitch something. I like to stitch for people who will appreciate it and who know that every stitch is made with love.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Lucyscarlet

Post by Lucyscarlet »

SABLE! I love it! I SOOOO have that!

Lucy
Lucy

WIPs
Valentine's Day
Birch Trees
Many, many others!
Ravenne

Post by Ravenne »

I feel so at home here. :lol:

I leave my projects in the hoops. On my first big project, I actually got distracted from it... for about a year. And it stayed in the hoop the whole time. :oops:

I've always done knots to start and stop, although that was only because I didn't realize there was another way. I'm experimenting with not knotting the thread now.

I'm an unashamed thread licker. Again, didn't know this was a "bad" thing, but I'm not gonna stop. :P

I definitely feel among friends here. XD
WIP:
Chickadees & Lilacs (Dimensions)
Lucyscarlet

Post by Lucyscarlet »

OK, here are mine.

I have considered whether anyone I know might read this! If you do, I'm very sorry :oops:

I leave ufos on roller frames/neglected for years sometimes before picking them up again.

I lick my threads. I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with that. I've got projects I've been working on for years - no discolouration/disintegration.

I do care about my backs, but sometimes I carry threads a long way if I'm feeling lazy :/

I have insane amounts of stash. I have never actually owned up how much to ANYONE.

This is the bad one. I lie to family and friends about feeling ill/being busy, so that I can stay home and stitch. I cancel plans to stitch. I do it all the time - I've done it today :oops: It's a miracle anyone still bothers with me!

I also stay up all night and stitch. The only thing I've never done, is phone in sick to work. I love my job too :)

Phew! Feels good to confess!
Lucy

WIPs
Valentine's Day
Birch Trees
Many, many others!
fccs

Post by fccs »

[quote="Lucyscarlet"]OK, here are mine.

I have considered whether anyone I know might read this! If you do, I'm very sorry :oops:

I leave ufos on roller frames/neglected for years sometimes before picking them up again.

I lick my threads. I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with that. I've got projects I've been working on for years - no discolouration/disintegration.

I do care about my backs, but sometimes I carry threads a long way if I'm feeling lazy :/

I have insane amounts of stash. I have never actually owned up how much to ANYONE.

This is the bad one. I lie to family and friends about feeling ill/being busy, so that I can stay home and stitch. I cancel plans to stitch. I do it all the time - I've done it today :oops: It's a miracle anyone still bothers with me!

I also stay up all night and stitch. The only thing I've never done, is phone in sick to work. I love my job too :)

Phew! Feels good to confess![/quote

Oh boy, I can relate to most of your confessions!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

My confession for today. I just bought Bothys Cut thru Castle. Again......oops....thus I am now at a point where I have so much stash I can't remember what is in it!!!

Anyone what to buy it???

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Fizzbw wrote:My confession for today. I just bought Bothys Cut thru Castle. Again......oops....thus I am now at a point where I have so much stash I can't remember what is in it!!!

Anyone what to buy it???

Niki xxx
I can't help you with that. :( But I do love those cut-thru designs. They're quirky and fun. If they offered them chart only in PDF, I'd probably have them all.
http://www.bothythreads.com/cross-stitc ... 77_91.html" target="_blank

WIP
MelindaH

Post by MelindaH »

Oh dear.

1. I'm a major stashaholic when it comes to fabric and thread. I can never have enough.

2. I'm a thread licker. I see it as putting a bit of myself into my work. :P

3. Who cares what the back looks like? I barely even look at mine while working on it.

4. I don't always back up my patterns. A few projects are UFO'd because of computer crashes and lost print outs.

5. I usually don't fix my mistakes. There's a major one in Dragon Sunset that is going to affect the count for the rest of the project, and I left it in. I'd rather have to do extra counting than frog.

6. I don't really like doing kits, but I keep buying them.

The big one:

7. My very first design was for a friend. She told me her favorite Bible verse and I made a design around it. I finished it but never gave it to her because I didn't think the design was good enough. :oops:
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

amandadawn wrote:I thought it might be fun to admit some of our cross stitching secrets! (I stole this from a book blog, except it was confessions of a reader or something...)

2. I don't care about the back of my work. Not even a little.

3. If I accidentally use the wrong color, but it still LOOKS right, I'll leave it. I hate frogging and no one will ever know the difference because I keep the chart!

Ok, I can't be alone in having a few confessions! Anyone else?
You're just like me! OK, I don't xs but needlepoint instead, but still. And my projects will meet the framer soon after the last stitch has found its' place, so no one but me and him will see the back.
Best: MysteryStitcher
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
roo_bear

Post by roo_bear »

I'm another who doesn't care about the back of my work. (whose going to see it?)

If I am finding particular project difficult or am going through a phase of making lots of mistakes I will frequently lose my temper and throw my work across the room complete with hoop and needle.

When I finish a piece and realise I have a small mistake I show it to my fiancee and say 'spot the mistake.'

I avoid french knots like the plague.

I have a stash or unfinished projects and knowing me they will never ever see the light of day again.

I stayed up stitching till 3 in morning to finish a sampler for my Grandma's Christmas present and it wasn't even finished. It should have had wide border with an acorn pattern and I only did a single line border. Every time I look at it in pride of place on her wall I feel guilty.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

roo_bear wrote: ...I stayed up stitching till 3 in morning to finish a sampler for my Grandma's Christmas present and it wasn't even finished. It should have had wide border with an acorn pattern and I only did a single line border. Every time I look at it in pride of place on her wall I feel guilty.
Quit it. You adapted the design based on time restraints. Your grandmother obviously appreciated the gift, so you honored her in the giving. I don't want to say "get over it" since that can sound flip, but you can stop beating yourself up over it if you want. :)

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

Allyn wrote:
roo_bear wrote: ...I stayed up stitching till 3 in morning to finish a sampler for my Grandma's Christmas present and it wasn't even finished. It should have had wide border with an acorn pattern and I only did a single line border. Every time I look at it in pride of place on her wall I feel guilty.
Quit it. You adapted the design based on time restraints. Your grandmother obviously appreciated the gift, so you honored her in the giving. I don't want to say "get over it" since that can sound flip, but you can stop beating yourself up over it if you want. :)
I agree with Allyn. Instead of regretting the stitches you didn't take, consider all the ones you did that are so loved by Grandma.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:
Allyn wrote:
I agree with Allyn. Instead of regretting the stitches you didn't take, consider all the ones you did that are so loved by Grandma.
Absolutely agree!! Grandma loves it and that is what counts!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Abbie

Post by Abbie »

I am so pleased to read that there are so many cross stitchers like me:

I Lick the threads (is there another way)?
I don't care what the back looks like, but it amazes me that non stitchers will look at the back and frown. (Get over it)
I sometimes take the thread a long way across the back, so what's the problem with that.
I stitch to relax and its just for me.
I have been stitching for over 20 years and have never given one away, I don't think non cross stitchers appreciate the work that goes into them.
I do not have a huge stash, and always finish what I start, and stay with it until I do. Some have taken over a year to do.
I often neglect everything else to sit and stitch.
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

"I don't think non cross stitchers appreciate the work that goes into them."

Hi, Abbie! I just wanted to say that some people do appreciate it--I gave my mom this Santa (http://www.123stitch.com/pictures/MD100.jpg) and when she puts it up in the living room at Christmastime, she always gets reactions from visitors who just ooh and ahh over it. She participated in a holiday Parade of Homes where she had the house all decorated and people walked through for charity, and she said that several people were blown away by it, and that one elderly gentleman stood there for several minutes, staring at it in awe! Which makes me just thrilled, of course.
roo_bear

Post by roo_bear »

I agree. Some non-stitchers do appreciate the work that goes into them. My mother-in-law always praises my work and was thrilled with the sampler I did for her actually saying she appreciated the work that went into it. I did two pieces for my auntie who is knitter not a cross-stitcher both of which she loved, I apologised for her baby sampler not being ready for the birth, and she said don't worry about it shes's sure it takes ages and she was very happy when it finally was ready. My grandma loves the sampler I did for her and tells everyone who comes in that her youngest grandchild made it specially for her. On the other hand despite having done cross-stitching herself, my mother has no appreciation for my work, which is why I have never bothered to sew anything for her.
MelindaH

Post by MelindaH »

Yes, some non-stitchers do appreciate the work that goes into cross stitching. My sister always loves to see what I'm working on and was very excited to get the piece that took me 5 years to make for her. Her husband was also thrilled with it. Granted, they both grew up in homes with cross stitchers, so maybe that's different.
seedreemer

Post by seedreemer »

I have some new confessions:

1. I lick threads even worse than before. No guilt!
2. I carry threads across the back further than ever before. No guilt!
3. I don't bother to save threads that are about 6 inches or less. I throw them away. Guilt!
4. I'm making more mistakes than ever (dunno what's going on!) and it bothers me but not enough to frog. I just adjust. Guilt!
5. I'm working on a sampler with motifs on brown linen. Instead of counting all those little holes I just eyeball where the next motif should be and start stitching. Guilt!