Help cross stitch taking a long time

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

Sans

Help cross stitch taking a long time

Post by Sans »

Hi I am new here my best friend asked me if I could do a cross stitch of someone famous :tizzy:
Stupidly I said yes :doh:
Here's hoping you can cheer me on
richardandtracy

Re: Help cross stitch taking a long time

Post by richardandtracy »

What size is the project & number of stitches?

I'm currently on a 44000 stitch project, which will (hopefully) take less than a year, and that is fairly small compared to some that are currently being undertaken here.

I think I average around 100 stitches an hour if things aren't too complex.

It would be nice to see a picture of the project - it's much easier to record progress that way too.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm a very slow stitcher and now that I've just accepted the fact, I'm a much happier stitcher, too. Big projects can feel overwhelming and endless, and sometimes you have to take a break with a smaller piece. I agree with Richard about taking pictures. Not only can you share your progress with us (we are GREAT cheerleaders), but there will be times when you feel no progress has been made until you compare your pics. I try to take a picture at the end of every stitching day.

Also, remember that no matter how big a piece is, it's still one x at a time. The goal is not always as important as the process.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Kathy_A

Post by Kathy_A »

I agree with the above. Stitching is a process and one that everyone takes at their own speed. Even those that are faster stitchers have days (weeks, months...) when things go a bit slower than usual.

Remember to have a life outside of stitching by taking breaks when you feel the need so that you don't burn out, and never make promises with firm dates on when you will deliver a project. Or, better yet, pull a Scotty (from Star Trek) by multiplying your estimate by at least four, and that way you'll be praised to the skies when you finish way ahead of schedule!!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I love big projects, tho' they can be daunting. It helps if you enjoy stitching the design, of course, but there's something special about making something specifically for someone. As fccs wisely says, no matter how big or small, all projects are just one stitch at a time. :D
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Hello & welcome. Hope you enjoy being on this forum. Everyone is helpful. Nice of you to take on the project & hope you get your mojo back :D My biggest one I am doing now & it is only 6 inches by 9 inches so not big by many other peoples standards but the biggest I've done to date. I am taking it week by week & as others have said, taking photos regularly & posting them on here helps. Hope you have not committed to having it done by a certain date or that may make you get stressed & would not be advantageous at all. I just go week by week & luckily that is best for me. I do not count stitches or work out how many an hour I can do, I am slow but if I try to go faster I mess up. So do it as it suits you.

But please can we have some pictures :D You will surprise yourself if you take one every week or so & that helps to keep you motivated. Good luck with your stitching & look forward to seeing how far you have got at the moment. We will all cheer you on :D :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Pictures! We want to see pictures! :D

I've been working on my project for 14 months, 2 weeks and a day and I still have a few months' work still to go. No matter how big or small the project is, it's one stitch at a time. :)

WIP
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Kathy_A wrote: Remember to have a life outside of stitching by taking breaks when you feel the need so that you don't burn out,
what is this life of which you speak? :coffee:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

..That time you have with a cat on your lap and no project in your hand...

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation