My biggest project yet.

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Karamo

My biggest project yet.

Post by Karamo »

... by far!

I'm a very slow stitcher. I have pretty horrible eyesight and yet I use the finest cloth available. I also can't focus on doing one thing so I always watch TV-series or speak on the phone while stitching (thank you ADHD). Anyway, the small things that I've done before have only taken a few hours a piece. This one, I've been sitting with for over 130 hours now. Like I said, I'm not a fast stitcher and I tend to recount squares ALOT, to avoid mistakes.

I chose to only stitch in one direction (sidestitch? o_O) instead of crosstitching because of a picture I saw many years ago of someone stitching a Super Mario 3 overworld map in that fashion and it looked really good!

Anyway, I've got a lot of spare time nowadays (because of reasons xD) so I stitch between 8-14 hours a day. I started this one a little over two weeks ago and it sure is taking time - I don't think I'm even 25% done! Trying not to lose determination ._.;

Please help me not to lose interest! T_T

All in all it will be 81600 stitches.

https://instagram.com/p/z2-89Xuq2b" target="_blank
rcperryls

Re: My biggest project yet.

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: for your biggest project yet. Looks like you have done a lot of backstitch and are filling in some of the colors after you have the outline? A lot of detail work. Do you use a magnifier? Have a good light? These can really help a lot if your eyesight isn't great. I know that the magniight I use helps me a lot. I hope that you will continue to post updates to your work. We love pictures and love to encourage each other whenever we can.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Karamo

Post by Karamo »

Thanks! Backstitches, that's what it's called? Thanks for clarifying =) I did some coloring when I ran out of black yarn and had to wait a few days for the mail =)

I don't use a magnifying glass (I tried once but I couldn't really hold it while stitching and I ended up being so angry I almost ripped the poor cloth in half haha). If I got a decent light it's all good, but such strong bulbs are very rare and none of the LEDs in the store cut it. I remember when they used to sell 100w light bulbs - no problems with sight even after a 12 hour marathon xD Too bad they don't sell those anymore :<

I'll be sure to update every other day or so, when I've made decent progress :)
fccs

Post by fccs »

I agree with Carole about the importance of good lighting and a magnifier. I have a mag/light combo that can be a floor or table type. I also have a clip on mag/light that I can clip onto my Qsnaps or scroll frame.

The piece looks great, and I'm looking forward to updates. I'm a very slow stitcher, too, and I find that taking daily pics help. Sometimes I feel like I've made no progress until I compare the pics.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Firstly Welcome to the Forum its great to have you join us. That is one big project but slow and steady will get you there in the finish I am sure. Always remember, that 1 stitch done is 1 less you have to do, it helps to get another few done some days. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

The link won't open for me. :( It opens a blank page.
Karamo wrote:...I don't use a magnifying glass (I tried once but I couldn't really hold it while stitching and I ended up being so angry I almost ripped the poor cloth in half haha). If I got a decent light it's all good, but such strong bulbs are very rare and none of the LEDs in the store cut it. I remember when they used to sell 100w light bulbs - no problems with sight even after a 12 hour marathon xD Too bad they don't sell those anymore ...
They sell compact flourescent bulbs that are the equivalent of 100 watt bulbs. They're 1600 lumens. I get the daylight bulbs that throw a clean, white light. I especially like them becaue they stay cool. Even after being on for hours, they're still cool enough to touch so I don't feel like I'm sitting under a french fry warming lamp while I stitch.

I bet holding that magnifier was very annoying. Don't do that. You can get magnifiers on a swing-arm or a gooseneck that clip onto your frame, that hang around your neck, that you wear like a ball cap, and floor-standing magnifiers with or without an attached light. There are all sorts of crafting/stitching magnifiers. If you're holding it, you're doing it the hard way. :)
Karamo wrote:...I chose to only stitch in one direction (sidestitch? o_O) instead of crosstitching because of a picture I saw many years ago of someone stitching a Super Mario 3 overworld map in that fashion and it looked really good! ...
Do you mean tent stitching? Instead of making both legs of the cross-stitch, you just make one leg.

WIP
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Wow that is a project and a half! But don't worry about being a Slow stitcher!! We do it for the fun of it not a competition.

Tent stitching is faster and your coverage seems very good :)

But I'm joining with the others with the magnifier and ligh comments, it makes it so so so much easier. I'm assuming you stotch in hand not a frame? I attach my magnifier to my frame, but you can get some good wearable magnifying glasses or stand alone magnifiers, same with lights.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Hansy-Magn ... lsrc=aw.ds" target="_blank

I'm not recommending the above, it's for info only :)

Niki xx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Karamo

Post by Karamo »

Thanks a bunch for the replies guys, makes me feel really happy and welcomed! =)

Do you mean that you frame the entire piece prior to stitching? I guess it would make sense by stretching the cloth but I sometimes I have to do great pulls (well, coming under earlier stitches for a second time etc in order to not have strands 'hanging'. This really stretches the cloth in one way, disfiguring it for a little while...). But also, I don't really know where to get a frame for this very custom measurement :P

I'm going to be looking up a good tablelight today already =) I know I will only NEED a magnifying property when doing some white parts because I get double vision after just a few minutes as well as everything appearing smaller. I ain't sayin' I'm hatin' on white yarn, it's just that...

https://instagram.com/p/z4tHmFOq__" target="_blank

Anywho, enough ramblin' from me! I got 99 problems but the stitch ain't one!
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Excellent work on your project! I use Qsnaps to hold my projects tight and diminish the stretching of the fabric. You do have to move the frame around unless you have a larger frame to use. I'll let those who have them explain how that works.
Rose

Post by Rose »

What a great project it looks like so much fun. :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Looking great! I look forward to seeing your progress on the piece.

As for lighting, I use a cool white daylight bulb in a regular gooseneck lamp. Mine is only 60W but throws off really bright light that is WHITE, not yellow, and didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. I know there are better lightbulbs out there when you start looking at OTT lamps and the such, but those are pricey, and this pack of 3 cost me I think 6 bucks. For me the important thing was getting a white light, not one that had a yellow cast, so I made sure that they were marked as daylight cool color tone.

As for frames, there are many different kinds. If your piece is too big to fit in a scroll frame (which has to be as wide as the project is but can be shorter top to bottom as you wrap the extra around the scroll rods) then a qsnap might be a good idea. Here is a pic of one of mine - a rather small one at that..

That frame is about 8x8 inches in size, and the actual piece was 14x14, so I place the area I was working on in the frame and let the rest of the fabric fall behind it, protecting the stitched parts that are covered by the frames snaps by adding a layer or felt on top of them. Once the area in the frame was done, I removed it an moved to the next spot I was working on. Qsnaps come in many different sizes and you can mix and match the parts together. For example right now I am workong on a piece with a frame made up to be 8x14 - I use 2 8" pieces and 2 14" peices and snap them together. I find it easier to hold something that size on my lap to stitch from, but if I am going anywhere and want to take my stitching with me, I'll go back to the 8x8 size since it is more convenient. The other type of frame you can get is a scroll frame, and there are many many options you can get for those. I definately have a preference here - I like the Millenium frame - you can see a video of one here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwxhwU95te4" target="_blank . Keep in mind this is the gold standard of scroll frames, there are many more options out there that don't have the adjustable sides and are more affordable and easier to get.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Karamo

Post by Karamo »

NeedleAndFork wrote:Looking great! I look forward to seeing your progress on the piece.

As for lighting, I use a cool white daylight bulb in a regular gooseneck lamp. Mine is only 60W but throws off really bright light that is WHITE, not yellow, and didn't cost an arm and a leg to buy. I know there are better lightbulbs out there when you start looking at OTT lamps and the such, but those are pricey, and this pack of 3 cost me I think 6 bucks. For me the important thing was getting a white light, not one that had a yellow cast, so I made sure that they were marked as daylight cool color tone.

As for frames, there are many different kinds. If your piece is too big to fit in a scroll frame (which has to be as wide as the project is but can be shorter top to bottom as you wrap the extra around the scroll rods) then a qsnap might be a good idea. Here is a pic of one of mine - a rather small one at that..

That frame is about 8x8 inches in size, and the actual piece was 14x14, so I place the area I was working on in the frame and let the rest of the fabric fall behind it, protecting the stitched parts that are covered by the frames snaps by adding a layer or felt on top of them. Once the area in the frame was done, I removed it an moved to the next spot I was working on. Qsnaps come in many different sizes and you can mix and match the parts together. For example right now I am workong on a piece with a frame made up to be 8x14 - I use 2 8" pieces and 2 14" peices and snap them together. I find it easier to hold something that size on my lap to stitch from, but if I am going anywhere and want to take my stitching with me, I'll go back to the 8x8 size since it is more convenient. The other type of frame you can get is a scroll frame, and there are many many options you can get for those. I definately have a preference here - I like the Millenium frame - you can see a video of one here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwxhwU95te4" target="_blank" target="_blank . Keep in mind this is the gold standard of scroll frames, there are many more options out there that don't have the adjustable sides and are more affordable and easier to get.

Thanks for the reply mate! Thanks for reminding me of going for the while light instead of gloomy yellow! I'll make sure I get some today :) That Qsnap also seem very practical. I browsed a Swedish embroidery side today and the sell some very basic wooden "holding-it-into-place-thingymabob" which I'm unsure wether I should purchase or not.

EDIT: Now, after having checked out that video - I want one of those! xD I'm not sure I'll ever make a stitch that big (my current one is way smaller :p) but I'd buy one immediately if I could :p
Karamo

Post by Karamo »

Hey guys! I've been away for a while (been under the weather, some of you might know how that can affect the whole "interacting with people"-thingy =P)

Anyway, how are you doing?

I've not been stiching it all during this period of absence but I did take a little time in order to have something to show!

This is how it looks now. Almost done with all the black outlines and contours but then comes the perilous and arduous task (I've never thought I'd ever use the word arduous in my life but, well, yay me!) - coloring!

Here's how it looks now;

Planning on making a smaller stitch in between just to re-energize, is that a good idea or should I just persevere til this one is done? Spend over 350 hours on it by now.
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Oh my goodness that's a lot of back stitching. You have done very well & look forward to seeing more of your work :applesauce: :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
Karamo

Post by Karamo »

lavenderbee wrote:Oh my goodness that's a lot of back stitching. You have done very well & look forward to seeing more of your work :applesauce: :D
Thank you! Comments like this keeps me going (it's fun to stitch but sometimes it can be a bit daunting! ;)
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

So sorry to hear that you were under the weather and I'm glad that you are now feeling better!!! As for your project---WOW!!!!!!!!!! it really looks amazing!!!! You have really accomplished a LOT and it looks great!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs