Looking for some help..

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

smilelynzi

Looking for some help..

Post by smilelynzi »

Hey everyone! just found this forum! I love cross stitching have been doing it for years. I was at a garage sale this past summer and bought a stocking decoration kit. the only problem is that the instructions to finish them were not in the package.. so these are new to me, and I'm not sure how to finish them off, and make them into tree decorations as they're supposed to be. Any help?

Thank you so much!!

I hope to find a lot of good tips and tricks on this site!

Lindsay
rcperryls

Re: Looking for some help..

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! This is a great forum for getting lots of tips and learning lots of tricks to make your stitching more fun and easier also (or more difficult depending on what you get into :roll: ). I'm afraid I can't help you with your stocking decoration kit since I have never done one, but I'm sure someone here has experience with this (probably a lot of members have) and may be able to help. I don't know how specific each kit is. If you have the name of the manufacturer you could try contacting them and see if they are willing to help you out. I hope you will let us know and that you will post pictures of what you are able to do. What other types of projects do you like to stitch?

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
smilelynzi

Post by smilelynzi »

I enjoy all kinds of projects, right now just working on some other christmas decorations for friends and family. i have lots of magazines and books of stuff that i eventually want to do. Bookmarks is something i'm thinking of getting into a lot more. I struggle with the finishing/mounting of my projects, i'll have to look at some pictures on here for some inspiration! I'm new to the whole forum thing too so we'll see how this goes!!

Lindsay
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

I usually finish tree ornaments by backing them with fabric if I want a "soft" finish ,or covering a piece of firm cardboard with the stitched design,assuming its an easy shape.Then backing it.I use Christmasy fabrics for the backing or a plain ged,green or spmething bright.Felt is good too.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi and Welcome from me too. I usually just back the ornament with felt using fabric glue and it has worked ok for me. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Rose

Post by Rose »

In answer to your questions......Are the ornaments worked on cloth or are they worked on plastic canvas???? That would make a bit of a difference as to how you might finish them.

As for ideas for finishing projects we have a great thread in the Tips and Tricks Section. Here is a direct link to it. http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =3&t=17792" target="_blank
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
smilelynzi

Post by smilelynzi »

it's on aida cloth, and in the picture on the package they are kind of puffy in a stocking shape. it came with felt so i'm guessing it's backed with felt, i just don't know how to fold over the aida so that it makes the right shape. i've tried quite a few times... and don't want to wreck it

Lindsay
Rose

Post by Rose »

I see.

Well I assume when the kit was original it had a template that you would have used to cut out bot the aida and the felt and then it would have had instructions for how to sew the 2 together. What you will need to do is read whatever instructions are still there and find out the finished size of each individual stocking and make your own template. Don't forget to add enough extra for the sewing seam.....(usually 1/4 inch all the way around.) Have you done a search on the internet for stocking tutorials???? You could at least get an idea from that.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
smilelynzi

Post by smilelynzi »

i have tried everywhere online for stocking tutorials.. i think what i might just do is try one out, hopefully i don't mess anything up. all the instructions are gone, just the charts felt threads and aida. i didn't do all the charts just the ones i liked best, i'll probably just throw one together and hope for the best.. hopefully i can figure out the posting pictures thing too and maybe do that!!

Thank for the help and suggestions though!! I'm gonna stick around on this forum, lots of good tips and tricks and inspiration!!!

Lindsay