I Love Colorado Bingo - congratulations perftangel

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

imogenX

Re: I Love Colorado Bingo - 17 August

Post by imogenX »

:dance: I'm up to 7! That's the most I've ever had in our Bingo games :)
-Imogen

Current WIPs
HAED SK Some Enchanted Evening
Stitchonomy Winter SAL
Animal Alphabet SAL (Anna Gutova for Artmishka)
Modern Folk Embroidery SAL 2021
Wonders of the Solar System SAL (Climbing Goat Designs)
Gnomes (Designs by Gloria & Pat)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

None for me today. But I do have some Celestial Seasoning teas in my tea stash. Catnip would be an interesting one to try :roll:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Oh I'm up to 8! :D
fccs

Re: I Love Colorado Bingo - 18 August

Post by fccs »

More numbers coming your way:

5 - Shrine of the Sun
Built by Spencer Penrose between 1934 and 1937, this monument stands above the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and is dedicated to Will Rogers who died in a plane crash in 1935. The elevation of the shrine is 8,136 feet on the top deck (nope, I've never climbed the stairs to the top), but even the base of the Shrine has gorgeous views of Colorado Springs. There are plaques around the base that will describe exactly what you are looking at in the distance. To get to the Shrine of the Sun, you just drive through the Zoo and continue up the winding mountain road.

I found a link that has a good description of what you'll see at the Shrine, along with some very nice pictures:
http://on-walkabout.com/2012/12/18/on-w ... -colorado/" target="_blank" target="_blank

23 - Cache la Poudre River
The Cache la Poudre River, or the Poudre as locals call it (pronounced Poo-der), runs from Rocky Mountain National Park along the Continental Divide, through the Roosevelt National Forest and then through Fort Collins, continuing east toward Greely to the confluence with the South Platte River. The drop of the river is 7,000 feet from high in the Rockies to the plains of Greely. In the 1820's, French trappers had to bury part of their gunpowder along the banks of the Poudre after being caught in a snowstorm, hence the name Cache la Poudre (Hide the Powder). In the 2013 flood, all major streets in Fort Collins that cross the Poudre were closed because the river was over its banks, and for awhile I25, the main north-south highway in Colorado, was also closed where it crossed the Poudre.

I recently purchased my first Scarlet Quince, and now you can understand why I chose this one:
http://www.scarletquince.com/pat.php?pat=WHI001" target="_blank" target="_blank

And I found a couple youtube videos to show different seasons of the Poudre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkE0mgt8q7M" target="_blank" target="_blank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b2jrrQOyEM" target="_blank" target="_blank
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
fccs

Re: I Love Colorado Bingo - 18 August

Post by fccs »

Okay, some of you must be getting close because I'm getting low on numbers. :-) Here are today's numbers:

19 - Silver Grill
Said to be the oldest restaurant in northern Colorado, the Silver Grill in Fort Collins has been open since 1933, but it' beginnings go all the way back to 1912 when it was the Uneeda-Lunch Cafe. It's located in downtown Fort Collins, serves breakfast and lunch only, and has wonderful cinnamon rolls! If you don't get there early, you'll have a long wait as it's very popular with locals and tourists. I've only ordered breakfast there...and have I mentioned the cinnamon rolls? :-)

30 - Disneyland
Disneyland? Colorado? That confused some of you. Downtown Fort Collins was part of the inspiration for Disneyland's Main Street! Disneyland's City Hall and the bank building were copied from some of the historic buildings in Fort Collins. How could I not include that on my Colorado list?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
perftangel

Re: I Love Colorado Bingo - 19 August - getting close?

Post by perftangel »

I'm at 9 now!! :)

Thanks Disneyland :)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Me too! 9!

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

Today's numbers...

21 - Air Force Academy
Located in Colorado Springs, the Air Force Academy is home to approximately 4,000 cadets. When they graduate, they are commissioned as 2nd Lieutenants in the Air Force. The Academy that most people know is the cadet area, which has the dorms, classrooms, dining hall (Mitch's), the chapel, athletic field house and fields - basically everything cadet related. The Academy is also an AF base, so it has officer and enlisted housing, fire department, maintenance areas, commissary, etc. The Air Force football team plays at Falcon Stadium, which is at an elevation of 6,621 feet above sea level; Falcon Stadium is also the location of graduation. The USAFA Cadet Chapel, in the cadet area, opened in 1962 and is the most popular man-made tourist attraction in Colorado, with an estimated 500,000 visitors each year.

USAFA has a special place in my heart as my son graduated from there in 2004 and my daughter-in-law in 2005; they married in the Cadet Chapel three days after she graduated.

25 - Denver
The capital of Colorado, Denver (154 square miles, approximately 649,500 people) is in about the center of the state, and the Rocky Mountains rise to the west of the city and the Great Plains begin to the east. At 5,280 feet in elevation, Denver is called the Mile High city, and if you come visit from sea level, you'll feel it. Bring lots of water and stay hydrated to avoid altitude sickness. There is always something to do in Denver, whether it's bike riding and enjoying the parks, or checking out the 16th Street Mall or the Zoo or the Denver Mint, or attending a game (Colorado Avalanche hockey, Denver Nuggets basketball, Colorado Rockies baseball, Denver Broncos football). Denver also has a needlework shop that I haven't been to yet, but I've heard great things about: Brazilian Embroidery on Morrison Rd.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
perftangel

Re: I Love Colorado Bingo - 20 August

Post by perftangel »

Ooooh! With Denver I've got 10! BINGO. :D
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:whoop: :whoop: CONGRATULATIONS :balloons: :balloons:

Looking forward to your Bingo choice of topic. :lol: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

We have a winner! Perftangel was the first to PM me that she had all ten numbers. (I'll be PM'ing you reference your prize.)

For those of you who might be interested in the last two numbers and their corresponding Colorado info, here they are:

28 - 14'ers
According to common mountaineering theory, a true 14'er is a peak that exceeds 14,000 feet with a minimum of 300 feet of topographic prominence and Colorado has 53 of them, more than any other state. I didn't know that before, so this has been a learning experience for me. :-) (The second state on the list is California with "only" 12.) Three of the best known peaks are Mount Elbert (the highest at 14,433 feet), Pikes Peak (inspiration for America the Beautiful), and Longs Peak (inside Rocky Mountain National Park). Regardless of your level of hiking, you'll find a 14'er you can handle, but drink plenty of water, take it easy, be aware of the weather, and watch for the signs of altitude sickness. The only 14'er I've been on is Pikes Peak, and there was no hiking or climbing involved (unless you want to count the walk from the cog rail to the gift/doughnut shop). But I get to see Longs Peak almost every day in the distance, and it's a beautiful sight.

29 - Scottish Irish Festival
The Longs Peak Scottish-Irish Highland Festival is held over Labor Day weekend (the first weekend in September) in Estes Park. Events include jousting, parades, Celtic music concerts, Dogs of the British Isles parade and demonstrations, Irish dancing, Highlands dancing, and Tattoo Estes (a concert by military bands on the parade ground). And food...lots of food! And lots of kilts!! And this year the traveling Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall will be there. I saw it when it was here in Fort Collins and I'm glad I'll be able to see it again. Too bad they don't sell cross stitch charts there, but maybe I can pick up a couple more cashmere clan scarves.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Re: I Love Colorado Bingo - congratulations perftangel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Thanks Debby for a very interesting Bingo - I have enjoyed it.

CONGRATULATIONS TO PERFTANGEL :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

Squirrel wrote::applesauce: :applesauce: Thanks Debby for a very interesting Bingo - I have enjoyed it.
Thanks for playing and letting me go on and on and on (30 times) about Colorado. I'm completely over the moon about my state and just love to share that love. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Squirrel wrote::applesauce: :applesauce: Thanks Debby for a very interesting Bingo - I have enjoyed it.

CONGRATULATIONS TO PERFTANGEL :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:
YES!!! :whoop: :whoop:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
sami51311

Post by sami51311 »

I had so much fun!!
sami
WIP
Four Seasons Chairs Design By Diana Thomas
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Yay! Thanks everyone. Thanks Debbie for hosting!

I'll have the sign ups for the next one next week. I've already picked my theme & items! :D