World Cross Stitch Day

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

JeanFarish

World Cross Stitch Day

Post by JeanFarish »

I'm wondering if anyone is doing anything special on "World Cross Stitch Day" scheduled for August 8th!
Jean

"The work of the hands brings forth the spirit of the heart."
http://www.jeanfarishneedleworks.com" target="_blank
speart

Re: World Cross Stitch Day

Post by speart »

Didn't know there was one! I'll be scooping ice cream at the old soda fountain during the county fair. :(
meganh

Post by meganh »

I am! I will be celebrating my Birthday with my family at pirate days here in Beaufort NC!!! It;s an annual festival celebrating a long ago pirate invasion and Blackbeard :whoop:
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I'll take a cue from "Knit in Public" day and take my stitching to somewhere like starbucks that gets a lot of traffic and stitch there.

I don't know any other stitchers in my small town, or I'd organize a gathering of stitchers somewhere public. I've done similar with local knitters when I lived in a bigger city. One year about 30 of us went to a park in Philly and hung out there all day knitting, and several of us brought extra yarn and needles and taught any passerbys who expressed an interest how to knit. Another year several of us got together outside a cafe that had lots of outdoor seating, and I brought my knitting machine. People donated yarn, and over the course of the day we knit blanket squares and sewed it together and donated it to a hospital. We got a lot of attention for that too. And one year, a whole bunch of us gathered in Central Park in NY with spinning wheels and spent the day spinning. It got to the point where the guys givng people horse carriage tours in the park got word of it and started bringing their tours past where we were to show visitors how there was always something interesting going on.

Hmm.. I wonder if I would get any interest if I posted around town that I was going to offer free basic cross stitch lessons on that day, and just ask for a couple of bucks to cover cost of supplies. I've taught one on one hourly lessons a few times, but this might be something fun, and could get some more people interested in the craft. It's cutting it a little close to plan something like that as I'd need to find a location and advertise it. Something to keep in mind for next year though!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

August 8th is a Friday. :dance: Well, it seems we ought at least to have a huge party in the Stash & Grab. :king:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop: Great idea Serinde! I'll be happy to help with the food and drinks!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Wouldn't it be special if we could all try to be online sometime during that day? Drop into the Stash & Grab, have a chat, :tea: :coffee: :cake: ( :toast: ), show off what we're doing just then...