Unconventional X Stitch

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Allyn

Unconventional X Stitch

Post by Allyn »

I love you all for the diversity of preferences we have here. Even if I'm not interested in stitching the same kind of designs that other folks do, I appreciate what you picked to stitch and I share the joy you put into the stitching. For my own projects, however, I'm so not interested in stitching cute patterns or angels or elegant ladies or most of the 'mainstream' designs that are available. I've long said that if someone converted HR Giger (may he rest in peace) artwork into cross-stitch charts, I'd be in heaven. I found a site that makes my kind of cross-stitch charts, and my commitment to stitch from stash may be in jeopardy.
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/UnconventionalX" target="_blank
:whoop:
Last edited by Allyn on Sat May 31, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

WIP
wendywombat

Re: Unconventional X Stitch

Post by wendywombat »

Each to their own, I say!

I'm not enamoured of Cute, Fairies or the majority of HAED designs. It's lucky though that there's a design for everyone out there, isn't it! :D

We all get together here and enjoy our craft, exchange ideas and encourage each other.

Long may that last!!! :whoop: :whoop:
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

Wow those pieces are great, sooooooooo different then what you normally see. Thank you for sharing. I have book marked the page. I love how this site offers so many different things!
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

Diversity is the spice of life, say I!

Sadly, although I too don't do cute, fairies, angels, elegant ladies HAED, cartoon characters with huge eyes, or most of the things you might otherwise see in tattoos I don't much like these either, except maybe for the Discus. But I prefer Hekel discus fish and even that wouldn't inspire me enough to put all that effort in. I do admire other folks' work though, and its fortunate I don't love it all or we wouldn't be able to move for stash here! :lol:

But there is plenty out there I do like. Enough to fill the rest of my life! :wink:

Take a look at Marie-Thérèse Saint-Aubin - isn't she original? (especially if you like botanicals) and I love her frogs towards the bottom of this page here

http://mtsa.over-blog.com/40-categorie-151287.html" target="_blank
fccs

Post by fccs »

I agree with Allyn and Ruthi. While some of the WIP's I see here are not my taste, I still admire them. Just because I don't want to hang it in my house doesn't mean it's not a beautiful work of art.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I always admire the effort and love that goes into a project. Even if I'd never want to stitch it myself. But so often on here you see someone stitching a design that you do want! Or one you have on a. Wish list or in your stash and it's great to stitch it vicariously.

Of those on the etsy shop, this one really spoke to me, though I don't think I'd stitch it....it's what someone with TN looks like on the inside....

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1868923 ... _active_24" target="_blank

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
mattcrossstitches

Post by mattcrossstitches »

I've created or at least remixed nearly all of the patterns I've stitched (my wedding sampler WIP is a noteworthy exception). A surprising number have been based on Internet memes or other nerdiness, while others are religious pieces for my Neopagan practice -- I'm currently planning a huge project to embroider some vestments.
My finished projects
WIP: Ladybugs' Picnic bib, Little Prince bookmark, In the House
Being charted: Challah cover, Kestos Himas
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

I could handle having Cherry Pi and Half empty, Half Full in my stash.
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

Check out the selection at Colour cascade fabrics for non conventional stuff

http://www.colourcascadefabrics.com.au/ ... nkenstein/" target="_blank
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

destructiveernie wrote:Check out the selection at Colour cascade fabrics for non conventional stuff

http://www.colourcascadefabrics.com.au/ ... nkenstein/" target="_blank" target="_blank

Not quite the same caliber of macabre, but to each his own. :)
I've been burned (and have seen too many other people burned) buying XS charts from a site that doesn't show the stitched piece and instead shows the artwork from which the conversion was done.

WIP
Drac

Post by Drac »

I love links to "unconventional" cross stitch patterns. :) Everyone does have different tastes, which is half the fun of the hobby. Myself, I don't have a thing for floral patterns, for example, but I love to see them when other people stitch them! Not to mention, no matter what the subject matter of the project, it's always interesting to discuss the method of the craft and how to get certain looks with certain types of stitches.

That site you linked is awesome!!! I'm going to have to look into that much more closely when I'm done with my current project! :D

To add to the list of sites with unconventional patterns, you should look at White Willow Stitching: http://shoppe.whitewillowstitching.com/" target="_blank They have a lot of great patterns. Some "dark" some "lighter". :) Don't skip any of their sections.... They have some very odd things. I've been very tempted to add this amazing steampunk style design to my stash: http://shoppe.whitewillowstitching.com/ ... titch.html" target="_blank :D

--Drac :D
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Drac wrote: ...To add to the list of sites with unconventional patterns, you should look at White Willow Stitching: http://shoppe.whitewillowstitching.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank They have a lot of great patterns. Some "dark" some "lighter". :)

Oh! I already have one of these in my stash:
http://shoppe.whitewillowstitching.com/ ... -girl.html" target="_blank

I got it through my LNS from an online trunk show. The shop owner was mortified that I'd be interested in stitching such a thing. Apparently, she didn't know me very well.

WIP
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I love the diversity that's out there when it comes to patterns available. I looked through that first link and while nothing grabbed me, I can see how they might appeal to some people. That said, the bulk of HAED designs don't appeal that much to me either, though once in a while something will grab me. But with as long as the large pieces take to stitch, my tastes change before I ever get to the next pattern. I have several that I bookmarked last year thinking they were possible contenders for my next large piece and now that I look at them a year later I wonder why. I've also discovered I'm more a process stitcher than a product stitcher. For large pieces it's not about the finished piece but the challenge of the process of stitching it, so I might choose something that will be an interesting stitch even if it isn't something that I desperately want to display in my home for the pure pleasure of stitching it.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

The 'Unconventional Cross Stitch' patters come close to what I like.
I am currently seeking permission from Spanish artist 'Luis Royo' to do a picture of (and this is where it gets complex) a sketch he did to help making a statue of his 'Uranos Drops' picture by Yamato Toys in the US, which extends an existing picture of the head/upper torso into a full figure. I hope to get a yay or nay in the next few months. However, I'll never post progress images here even if I do get permission, as I respect this site's taste & decency limitations too highly. It'll be a picture I'll feel happy to hang in my living room, but it won't be to everyone's taste.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Evedeve

Post by Evedeve »

Well drat! There goes my budget, and willpower and and :lol:
Heather
Blog: http://savouryintoxication.blogspot.com/

WIP:
Cigar box image
Table cloth
Old Dimensions Oriental stitch
God of War II
Smalls
colourcascadefabrics

Post by colourcascadefabrics »

I can assure you, that the charts from Colour Cascade Fabrics and Designs do not show the "Original Artwork" on their site, the pics are in fact the Mock ups. Just so we have that clear!
colourcascadefabrics

Post by colourcascadefabrics »

I can assure you that Colour Cascade Fabrics and Designs DOES NOT use the original artwork to advertise the charts, If you look at the designs this would be quite obvious. All of my designs pictures are the MOCK Ups, Just so you are aware of that
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

richardandtracy wrote:...I am currently seeking permission from Spanish artist 'Luis Royo' ...... However, I'll never post progress images here even if I do get permission, as I respect this site's taste & decency limitations too highly. It'll be a picture I'll feel happy to hang in my living room, but it won't be to everyone's taste.

Regards,

Richard.
I love Royo's work; I've been a fan of his for many years. I'd be very disappointed if you didn't post progress pics.

WIP
BookNerd

Post by BookNerd »

Allyn wrote:
destructiveernie wrote:Check out the selection at Colour cascade fabrics for non conventional stuff

http://www.colourcascadefabrics.com.au/ ... nkenstein/" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Not quite the same caliber of macabre, but to each his own. :)
I've been burned (and have seen too many other people burned) buying XS charts from a site that doesn't show the stitched piece and instead shows the artwork from which the conversion was done.
I'm currently stitching a chart from Colour Cascades, and it's coming out beautifully. She does a great job. And, I can assure you that the images are of the mock up, not the original art work.

Not only are her charts awesome, so is her hand dyed fabric. :)
WIP:
~ HAED Amethyst Fairy
~ AAN Skull Banner
~ HAED Mini Sunflower Cottage
~ Bramble and The Rose
~ Woodland Vines
~ Rosetta

Finished:
~ custom design
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

BookNerd wrote:.... And, I can assure you that the images are of the mock up, not the original art work.

Not only are her charts awesome, so is her hand dyed fabric. :)

Some of them are mockups, but not all of them.

WIP