For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I've been wondering, many avatar names are interesting, why are you called what you are?

I'm Fizzbw named after my beloved old pony Fizz, who's show name was Fizz Bang Wallop. I've been Fizzbw for so many years and only on one other forum am I anything else and I don't go there anymore!! Hummm, I may well be way too easy to cyber stalk....

Why are you who you are? And does your avatar name become part of who you are or do you not feel the ownership?

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Cecilia

Re: Avatar name?

Post by Cecilia »

Well, this is the first forum I ever joined and I couldn't come up with a cool alternative so I just used my first name.

The avatar is a photo of a daffodil in my garden. I originally used the pink one that's available from the forum but then someone else started using it so I decided to change it. As I love spring and it was looking good at the time, the daffodil seemed like the perfect choice. :D
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

What an interesting question. I think I would have used Carole but that was already taken and I didn't want to be Carole 2 or something other number. The rc in rcperryls is a user name that we (my husband and I - though I am the one who probably made the choice) used when we got our first home computer. It is both our initials and surname. Having not ever been on a forum like this I just used what came naturally but added ls (initials of my two stitching assistants). I guess like Niki I could be a candidate for cyber stalking because I don't make many changes to my user names. And yes, my avatar or user name is definitely part of me.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
marniecat

Post by marniecat »

Marnie is my first name. A friend's little nephew told my I sneezed like a cat- a "marnie-cat" when I was about thirteen, and the nickname stuck.
The photo is of my beloved kitty Amos who passed away two years ago the day before Easter. I chose him as my avatar when he was still with us, and haven't had the heart to change it.
I do like seeing him here when I log in or comment. :wub:
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

I've been studying German for nearly half of my life... Kuschelschaf is German for "cuddly sheep". My friend Tony, who lives in Berlin, often told me I reminded him of a sheep. I still don't know why... But when he found out I did a lot of knitting and crochet (and anything else with yarn) he just started calling me "mein kleines Kuschelschäfchen" (or my little cuddly sheep) then I just became known as das Kuschelschaf.

I just changed my avatar from the boring sheep to the tatty teddy sheep since it's much cuter! :)
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I love this topic---it's great to find out why others chose the avatar names that they did. Mine is karen4bells--my name is Karen and I ring in a handbell choir--sometimes ringing multiple bells in each hand, soooo I just chose karen4bells :D
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

This is really interesting. I've often wondered what some usernames/avatars mean!

JA stands for Jane Austen. I've been a fan of hers since the age of 12 when I first read Pride and Prejudice. Thats 48 years! My avatar is an idealized painting of her based on a sketch done by her sister.
I've collected various memorabilia, read most of her books and seen most of the TV/movie adaptations of which some are better than others. I've visited her home in Chawton, Hampshire and her grave in Winchester Cathedral.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
fccs

Post by fccs »

Fun topic! Thanks, Niki.

When I joined the forum, I wasn't sure how personal I wanted to get with my user name, so I chose "fccs" for "Fort Collins cross stitcher." Yeah, not real clever or cute, but it works. :-)

My avatar is just a picture of my on my first snowshoeing venture, New Year's Day 2013, at Cameron Pass in the Rocky Mountains (about 1 1/2 hours from me).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Rose

Post by Rose »

When I first came on the forum I was looking for information about a pattern problem and I had looked at several sites. The easiest thing for me to do was use my first name on all of the forums so I could remember who I was on each. Since then I have left all of the other sites except 1 and that I only go to about once every six months if that. I am on 1 yahoo group and on there your name is your yahoo address so that is a different name. For me the "KISS" method is best.

My avatar is currently a pillow I made to represent my family, so of course it has an airplane. When it was stitched both kids were still at home in school so my son being the football player and daughter being the cheerleader fit. Hubby is a mechanic and I am a stitcher. Over the years I have had several pictures up for an avatar I like to change it keeps things interesting.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Great topic! My nickname comes from my name orietta and my country Italy as I write in different international forum I started out with it and liked it. The avatars is a pretty similar image of myself created with wee-mee.com. everybody that met me in person was able to actually recognize me :lol:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I'm not sure where wendywombat came from...I think it's the 2 W's! I've always used the name for fun when describing myself. Wombats are small round creatures from Australia...I've not!! Well I am fairly round, but not from Aus!! :lol:

The Puffin Avatar I use is drawn by my hubby from a Puffin glove puppet I have.
:wub: I just LOVE Puffins! Such cute little round birds who live at sea all winter, only coming home to breed. They nest in burrows often made by rabbits. The animated Puffin in my signature was sent to me by Coffee Freak. So that's really part of this Forum.

Well I guess that's me!! :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Who's next? :thinks:
Rose

Post by Rose »

You know Wendy I always wondered why it was Wendywombat and not Wendypuffin?????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I like purpleno other reason really
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I am a great fan of the novels of J.R.R. Tolkien, and have been interested in things Middle-earth since, oh, well, a long, long time. (Yes, one of those that learned languages and all that :lol: ) My avatar is the badge of the House of Feänor and username is the name of a minor (but important) character who features in The Silmarillion. Serindë was the nickname given to the Elf woman and mother of Feanor. The word means 'embroidress', because that was her talent. Tolkien has her (eventually) embroidering the history of the Noldorian Elves in Middle-earth. (Which, as I have probably said somewhere else, puts HAEDs into perspective!)
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Wow, this is even more interesting than I thought it would be. :) :)

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Allyn is my name. As a writer, I use pseudonyms so when I have a chance to be me -- such as in the forum of one of my favorite creative outlets -- I like to be me (even though being me gets me in trouble sometimes :( ).

And my avatar is a pic I made off a South Park avatar site. Glasses, brown hair and near the water -- that's all that's really recognizable of me in the pic.

WIP
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

My Mum wanted to call me Mystonique but my Dad was not impressed with it ... the when I was born very dark instead of blonde she saw it as a sign and named me after my paternal grandmother. But Mystonique never went away. It was a natural choice for a pseudonym.

My avatar is my first cross stitch. I've done a few since but the first was the one I thought I couldn't do (I thoughg any stitching was beyond my skill), the one my Dad encouraged me to try (even though he hated the pic, he knew it was me), I remember long phone calls with him while I was doing it. And he's gone back to the mud now so it's special.
Myst..
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

This is fun. This was the first forum I joined and could not think of an avarar at first but when looking thriugh some old photos I came across a photo of a much loved uncle who always called me Fiddler dont know why, he made up nicknames for all the nephews and nieces. Decided to use it as it reminds me of him.
LD282

Post by LD282 »

Hmm... This thread has got me thinking that maybe my avatar name was not a great choice but I really couldn't think of anything else. I'll tell you anyway and keep my fingers crossed that no cyber stalking, hacking occurs :?

The LD are my initials and the 282 is the date and year I was born!

I wonder if you can change it!
fiddler wrote:This is fun. This was the first forum I joined and could not think of an avarar at first but when looking thriugh some old photos I came across a photo of a much loved uncle who always called me Fiddler dont know why, he made up nicknames for all the nephews and nieces. Decided to use it as it reminds me of him.
My uncle did this too for all his nieces and nephews, I was Carrots :shock:

WIPs
A Treasured Time
A Kiss For Snowman
Ballet Shoes
shadyglade

Post by shadyglade »

My story isn't all that interesting. I've had a book blog called The Shady Glade for years (started it in college) so when joining I had to choose SOMEthing and it just stuck.

I also really love all things Disney (especially Disney princess) so my currant avatar is Belle (and of course she is reading a book)